The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm resitting this exam as an A2 student on Friday - last year I didn't revise at all, didn't know the AOs etc and totally bombed it and got a C. Feeling the pressure as I need an A this time! This year I've revised completely differently and I feel a lot more confident. Last minute stuff:

Section A 1 hour: the first question is basically all AO2 so just talk about Setting, Form, Structure, Language and Narrative Voice. You don't need AO4 or AO3 at all here, and including this will just waste time (made that mistake last year!). Go through all the chapters/sections that might come up and make brief bullet points of setting, form, structure, language and narrative voice points.
The second question is on AO1, AO3 and AO4. So you need to support your argument by talking about the context of the text, and by discussing different critical views. You don't necessarily have to quote critics, but be open to different interpretations. Don't spend ages analysing language in detail, it won't get you marks.
Section B 1 hour: All the AOs! Roughly 20 mins on each text. Talk about language, structure etc (AO2) then back up all this analysis with a bit of context (always relevant, not just bolted on) and an alternative view or two. Don't forget to read the question thoroughly - 'how significant is..' is completely different to 'how does the author use..'. Top marks in all questions evaluate, so really evaluate your points and your response to the question.

Do some past papers, or if you haven't got time plan essay answers. Look at critical views. Learn the context of each text. Practice language analysis. Know your texts!
Reply 21
Original post by veera17
What's the difference between Lit A and Lit B?

I think Lit A is literature in different centuries whilst Lit B is different kinds of narrative

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing the AQA Lit B on Friday too! I'm currently making notes on each poem (for Tennyson, which is probably what I'll write on for Section A, and Robert Browning, who I'll mention in Section B), and looking over the key events/themes for The Great Gatsby and The God of Small Things.... I'm really stressed though as there is so much that could come up and it isn't easy to predict what they will ask... :frown:
oh wow that is so helpful! i thought you had to do alternative responses for all of them tbh, so happy you dont for the first one!
does anyone else find it really difficult to find alternative interpretations? and the evaluation, any tips?
i do litb btw :3
Original post by Parkleton
oh wow that is so helpful! i thought you had to do alternative responses for all of them tbh, so happy you dont for the first one!
does anyone else find it really difficult to find alternative interpretations? and the evaluation, any tips?

Often other interpretations are discussed with your teacher when you go through the poems/novel... out of interest, what texts are you writing about? :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Parkleton

You can literally just say 'on the other hand...' and talk about an alternative view on something that could be taken, you can generally talk about critical interpretation 'initial reaction to [text] shows that...' or you can specifically quote critical views, including the critics name. Though the latter isn't necessary for a good mark it can look impressive - if your teacher hasn't given you any critic quotes you can find them by googling critical views on your text or by using google scholar to search in journals.

Don't overdo it though!
I think i actually know where to start revising now!

Thankyou
Original post by CharlotteEris
what does it mean technique of quote? :confused:

Yeah, its technique like anaphora, cesura, similie, juxtapositioning, repetition and how it makes the point clearer etc.
And then linking it somehow :K:
Original post by 42wallabyway
Often other interpretations are discussed with your teacher when you go through the poems/novel... out of interest, what texts are you writing about? :smile:

Im doing Great Gatsby, Birdsong, Rossetti Poetry and Rime of the Ancient Mariner sadly. Birdsong is particularly hard just because its so long!
Original post by mollymasm
You can literally just say 'on the other hand...' and talk about an alternative view on something that could be taken, you can generally talk about critical interpretation 'initial reaction to [text] shows that...' or you can specifically quote critical views, including the critics name. Though the latter isn't necessary for a good mark it can look impressive - if your teacher hasn't given you any critic quotes you can find them by googling critical views on your text or by using google scholar to search in journals.

Don't overdo it though!

Thanks so much! Ill definitely use this in the exam tomorrow, and try not to run out of time! :tongue:
Original post by Georgeツ™
Yeah, its technique like anaphora, cesura, similie, juxtapositioning, repetition and how it makes the point clearer etc.
And then linking it somehow :K:

Well I'm screwed hahaha
Ahh I despise this exam! Whoever invented it was clearly on acid!

For Section A part b, how much do we need to balance our answers?

One of my teacher's said we should structure it like this:
Intro - challenge the premise if necessary
1st paragraph, supporting your point of view
2nd paragraph, supporting your point of view
3rd paragraph, offer a different interpretation and then write why your interpretation works "better" it (though obviously the real meaning is ambiguous)
Conclusion

My other teacher said we should do this

Intro
1-2 points agreeing
1-2 points disagreeing
(making sure you analyse/evaluate them all)
Conclusion

I trust my first teacher more but I want to make sure I do the right thing. Are either of these right? Someone please help!
Original post by CharlotteEris
Well I'm screwed hahaha

Just be calm and let it all flow! I'm remembering to constantly analyse language and its effects!!!!!!:IM:
Original post by EleanorKeats
Ahh I despise this exam! Whoever invented it was clearly on acid!

For Section A part b, how much do we need to balance our answers?

One of my teacher's said we should structure it like this:
Intro - challenge the premise if necessary
1st paragraph, supporting your point of view
2nd paragraph, supporting your point of view
3rd paragraph, offer a different interpretation and then write why your interpretation works "better" it (though obviously the real meaning is ambiguous)
Conclusion

My other teacher said we should do this

Intro
1-2 points agreeing
1-2 points disagreeing
(making sure you analyse/evaluate them all)
Conclusion

I trust my first teacher more but I want to make sure I do the right thing. Are either of these right? Someone please help!

That sounds soooooo complicated :unsure: Is that the way to get full marks?! oh Jesus, this will be a fun exam tomorrow:unimpressed:
Im doing 2 paragraphs for the argument and 1 against then a conclusion x
Original post by yasminwells
Im doing 2 paragraphs for the argument and 1 against then a conclusion x

Ok thank you!
Reply 36
Doing this exam tomorrow as well!
Be calm, remember language, form and structure. Try and get all the references you can remember for the contextual linking on to one bit of paper, chances are you know more than you think! Have a look at examiners reports on the AQA website too, although they're pretty boring they're really helpful!!!

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!
Good luck today guys! Hope you all do ok and thanks for all the help because it has made me more confident in how to answer my questions! :smile: x
Reply 38
Ahhh good luck everyone! And thanks for the help! :smile: x
Reply 39
How was it guys!? Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending