The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by M1011

Nobody gives an after tax figure when asked their salary, why would you think it is?

People always seem to assume this on this forum which kind of baffles me. I can only assume it is because the majority have little to no work experience. I have never heard people talking about salaries net of tax in real life.
Original post by M1011
Clearly a troll. You're taking a £40,000 / 66% pay rise? Lol...

Nobody gives an after tax figure when asked their salary, why would you think it is?

Because it's a lot less. If you mean people asking in a casual situation then I'd go with that.
Original post by Dinasaurus
100,000k? 100million? I don't believe this

100 million? K means thousand.
Reply 23
I think I'm about to piss myself with laughter, this has got to be a joke.
I refuse to believe someone who would be paid that much cannot determine whether that is a good wage.
I'd suck a lot of dick for 100K a year
Reply 25
Original post by Dinasaurus
100,000k? 100million? I don't believe this

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. OP is high leave him.
I highly doubt the OP created this thread to be compared to the entire spectrum of society. What he should've asked is if £100k salary is good compared to other 'big money' professions like IB and some of law. Perhaps tsr is not the best place to ask as its full of students rather than industry professionals.
Reply 27
LOL no thats pathetic brah, I'm currently CEO 10k/day get on my level
Original post by Harley SMU
Average UK salary is just under £30K I believe, so think yourself lucky!

People always say this, but that figure is heavily skewed away from the OP's qualifications. He did maths at Oxford - it's reasonable for him to hope he might earn more than someone stacking shelves (I'm not saying that makes him a better person - it's just supply and demand).

That said, you're entirely right most people don't have to ask if 100k is a good wage. I assume he means compared to big money professions, in which case I don't know the answer, but it's obviously good in general terms. :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Octohedral
People always say this, but that figure is heavily skewed away from the OP's qualifications. He did maths at Oxford - it's reasonable for him to hope he might earn more than someone stacking shelves (I'm not saying that makes him a better person - it's just supply and demand).

Not by that factor. £100k pa is in the 99th percentile for income

Original post by Octohedral

That said, you're entirely right most people don't have to ask if 100k is a good wage. I assume he means compared to big money professions, in which case I don't know the answer, but it's obviously good in general terms. :smile:

The actuarial profession IS a big money profession - whichever way you want to look at it. There are actuarial consultants out there earning £500k pa +. On the other hand, there are also few investement bankers earning £500k and very few silks earning £500k pa.
Next thing this guy will be saying is that he wants to be on a billion pound salary.

Or maybe he's a troll. :tongue:

Presumably the latter.
Original post by Freak Out

Here is his quote:
I used to think this was really good pay, but now I look at lawyers esp barristers and i-bankers and less technical financial jobs and they can all pay like over 500,000 plus and easily over 100,000k.

As you can see, 100,000k is 100,000x1000. 100 Million?
Reply 32
Terrible, I Don't get out of bed for any less than 100k a month
Original post by DimaTae
Ok after extensive research I went into a boring financial job in insurance which I used to mistakenly think paid really well, now I'm 27 and am paid 60,000 and think I'm about to get an offer for a job which pays 100k nearly.

I used to think this was really good pay, but now I look at lawyers esp barristers and i-bankers and less technical financial jobs and they can all pay like over 500,000 plus and easily over 100,000k.

I am really pissed as I got a perfect academic record but went into a piss boring career and its so boring and I'm only in it for the money and the career has a **** load of exams and was really hard to qualify but has no prestige, working in the insurance sector must be the least glamorous job ever.

Should I just quit and go do something I like? I feel trapped but then some of my friends keep telling me I should be happy with the money I'm making, but purely the money is not enough to drive me as its not even that much.
I wish I were a doctor or scientist at least I would be contributing to society and if purely for the money I would not do this job either as salary is medium

Save up some money and do what you want to do. You're already earning a **** load and you've got a career to fall back on so whats to lose? Do something you enjoy.. the money's clearly not making you happy.
Original post by DimaTae
Ok after extensive research I went into a boring financial job in insurance which I used to mistakenly think paid really well, now I'm 27 and am paid 60,000 and think I'm about to get an offer for a job which pays 100k nearly.

I am really pissed as I got a perfect academic record but went into a piss boring career and its so boring and I'm only in it for the money and the career has a **** load of exams and was really hard to qualify but has no prestige, working in the insurance sector must be the least glamorous job ever.

Should I just quit and go do something I like? I feel trapped but then some of my friends keep telling me I should be happy with the money I'm making, but purely the money is not enough to drive me as its not even that much.
I wish I were a doctor or scientist at least I would be contributing to society and if purely for the money I would not do this job either as salary is medium

Someone said you have a 2.1 in maths from Oxford.

I'm going to be honest with you, at 27, and with those qualifications, 60k is not much if you're in it for the money. 100k is reasonable, but nothing special,
He's actually on 60k not 100k so people saying 100k is a lot is irrelevant, then again 60k isn't bad either.
Reply 36

100k = 100,000

100,000k = 100,000,000

Because it's a lot less. If you mean people asking in a casual situation then I'd go with that.

Yes it is a lot less, but what is your point? Everyone in the 'real world' discusses gross salaries. All the averages you hear about are gross. It's just a stupid thing to assume net, because you'd essentially be using an incomparable figure compared to everybody else.
Original post by Harley SMU
Average UK salary is just under £30K I believe, so think yourself lucky!

A number of jobs pay around (and above) that much, certain ones which don't even require a degree. From his point of view, for someone who's gone through further and higher education and working in his sector, he see's his wage as relatively small/mediocre. He should be thankful for working in such a field and earning a nice salary, but I think his job satisfaction is so poor that it stops him from seeing things as you and I do. Having said that, I believe this individual has been smoking the highest grade kush, or has taken some substances which have rendered him incapable of judging whether or not a 100k salary is good or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Someone said you have a 2.1 in maths from Oxford.

I'm going to be honest with you, at 27, and with those qualifications, 60k is not much if you're in it for the money. 100k is reasonable, but nothing special,

60k isn't much and 100k isn't special, 4-5 years in to his career?

Outside of a very select few careers, that simply isn't true.
nah OP you're poor i make moer than tht in a day lol.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer...

Latest

Trending

Trending