The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by NinjaPandaa
the thing is I can't see there being much point in remembering quotes

I've basically gone throught the book and named each chapter based on the events that happen it purely so that it's easy for me to remember what happens when
I've then thought about the themes it could be on (class, racism, innocence, mockingbird, courage, growing up etc.) and got ideas of what parts of the book go in each theme

Although I can imagine the question being on something completly different to my suggested themes so I've just made sure I know the book well

What other novel/play are you doing?

Thanks, good advice. I'm also doing An Inspector Calls which again- i have no idea how to revise. I think I might just pick out key quotes for each character and theme.
Reply 561
Original post by Jatz07
I'm doing Sunlight on the grass short stories, OF Mice and Men, Animal Farm and Macbeth...wbu guys? Any detailed perceptive points you can make for the exam? Jatz

I'm doing Of Mice and Men ; none of the others
Original post by lolface32
the book on Monday and Poetry on Thursday. You don't need a timetable to know that....

#
20th= of mice and men + another book
23rd =anthologies

hope this helps
Reply 563
hey guys i'm so confused on how to write the English literature exam unit 1(GCSE) exploring modern texts.
Can you guys tell me any tips on how to write or structure the essay for section A and B?
And the texts i am doing is Of mice and men and an inspector calls.
Reply 564
Original post by alibland
Thanks, good advice. I'm also doing An Inspector Calls which again- i have no idea how to revise. I think I might just pick out key quotes for each character and theme.

I'm doing An Inspector Calls ; I've been told its good to talk about stage directions to, e.g. lighting
Reply 565
What about crooks? :confused:

I think Crooks came up January 2013, forgot to add that. So he's almost definitely out.
(the ones I listed were Higher by the way).
Reply 566
Original post by jay_em
I'm not sure about Slim. I'd like him to come up, but seeing as he's not a 'traditional' worker- he very much goes against the trend- I don't see how they'd get a section (b) out of it.

June 2012- Curley's Wife
Jan 2012- Bunkhouse/inhabitants, migrant workers.
June 2011- George and Lennie, America in the 1930s
Jan 2011- Candy, society as a whole

I imagine it'll be Curley, or a setting again (the river?) or Natural World, which I've seen a lot of people mention.

What would you say about the 'natural world'? They can't really put into a question about social and historical context so not sure on that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i need help,the exam on monday,whats the topic on?is it the comparing poetry (in the anolioges booklet) or is it the indpeth book study of "ofm mice and men"?
What about crooks? :confused:

I think crooks appeared in January 2013 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 569
I have an A/A* essay that I wrote. Do you want me to post it?

I should mention, it is on Touching the Void by Joe Simpson.
Reply 570
Original post by Natalia_14
Yeah I think It's Slim too as he does play an important character in the novel since he's portrayed as 'the prince of the ranch' and for Inspector calls I predict it's Eric.

I was thinking it could be Crooks likely to come up?
Original post by cjslions
AIC: Gerald - Eric - Gender - Generational Conflict
OMAM - Slim - Curley - NaturalWorld

What do you think?? :smile:

Gerald already came up so has to be Eric.
^^ please
Reply 573
Original post by Archillious
Hi i need help,the exam on monday,whats the topic on?is it the comparing poetry (in the anolioges booklet) or is it the indpeth book study of "ofm mice and men"?

definately not poetry- that's thursday so don't get them confused. monday is book or play
Original post by AllieP
I was thinking it could be Crooks likely to come up?

No it's not Crooks cause he already came up in the January paper.
I split the two up, personally. I may have different tastes :redface:. But the mark scheme emphasizes that you must be consistent in the two parts of the question. If one part is, blugh, and the other is amazing then you may get marked down simply because of the lack of consistency :s-smilie:

So do you think I should continue answering section b by merging the two parts into one response or should I answer each part separately? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 576
Original post by dazzer19
What would you say about the 'natural world'? They can't really put into a question about social and historical context so not sure on that...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure to be honest, I only mentioned it because I've seen it mentioned by other people a fair bit. Maybe things like Candy's dog?
Reply 577
Original post by dazzer19

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are wrong, there is more context with the natural world than anything else :rolleyes:
Here is a list :biggrin:

- "The little snake slid in among the reeds at the pool's side". You could make the point that, under their own natural habit, animals can escape. But poor Lennie can not :frown: His natural habitat has been destroyed, so he cannot hide. Raising questions, is America the Land of the free?

-" The heron stood in the shallows, waiting"- Raises tensions, the unreliable capitalist system of America provides a sense of uncertainty to the American population.

-" Already the sun had left the valley"- By this time, majority of the people in the novel have left the idea of the American Dream.

- Steinbeck uses light a lot, make a point of that. :biggrin:

-" Side to side"- Irony, in such a individualistic society, it is important to turn your head side to side, keep cautious.

A lot more points, I just cba to write anymore :frown: But you get my drift :cool:
Original post by Natalia_14
Yeah maybe but what can they ask though?I know they've already asked about selfishness and how the Birling family represents that and they also included a quote by Mr.Birling.Maybe they could ask how does Priestly present capitalism through Mr.Birling or something like that?But i'll just go through it just incase but my teacher reckons it's Eric since he hasn't come up yet.

Good luck anyway!
Reply 579
Original post by BP_Tranquility
So do you think I should continue answering section b by merging the two parts into one response or should I answer each part separately? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Separately, merging them will over complicate things :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending