The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by homefind
I would say if it shows a correlation, give the highest/lowest values, compare to other values then say if there are any anomalies present

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Tabby.1.2
i tend to state:
- general trend
- extreme figures, i.e lowest and highest
- anomalies

sometimes it says 'describe the trend in figure 1..' but then later in the question sneakily adds in 'and suggest/explain/justify' etc, so if if says this i add in generic reasons such as
(e.g question on river discharge) deforestation, urbanisation, snowmelt etc.

Ahh I see, thank you!! I hate these type of questions haha
Reply 81
Hi guys, does anybody know how to describe the method of drawing a rose diagram and justifying it as your choice of data presentation? I did fieldwork in snowdonia investigating the angle and orientation of glacial striations but I'm not sure how to justify the choice! :smile:
In one of he past papers (January 2011) it asks for a sketch map of the location of my study. I carried out my study at five points along a river, therefore should I draw one area of my study or should I try and copy the OS map which relates to the area I have studied? Furthermore, what kind of labels would you recommend for either of the two options? Should I mention things relating to the risk assessment (i.e. close proximity to car park) or just label the river banks and the channel itself?
anybody got any useful notes and model answers? - I got a D in january lol
Reply 84
Original post by Whiskerella
In one of he past papers (January 2011) it asks for a sketch map of the location of my study. I carried out my study at five points along a river, therefore should I draw one area of my study or should I try and copy the OS map which relates to the area I have studied? Furthermore, what kind of labels would you recommend for either of the two options? Should I mention things relating to the risk assessment (i.e. close proximity to car park) or just label the river banks and the channel itself?

Do the entire area instead of just one of your sites. Yes this could be drawn from the OS map. Labels could include geology (rock types of each site), tribuaries, confluences, source and mouth of the river, cross profile (u, v shaped or flat). Also include any features specific to your fieldwork such as millponds and meanders and the distance from source to mouth

If they ask for a sketch map it would be likely to be wanting the characteristics so make sure you remember what each site was like and how you would label it on your sketch map. With any sketch map include a North arrow to imply a sense of scale

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
In one of the past papers they are asking us to draw a meander and its features. Does this mean they could test us on any fluvial land form, such as ones found in the lower course?
Reply 86
Original post by Jaydude
In one of the past papers they are asking us to draw a meander and its features. Does this mean they could test us on any fluvial land form, such as ones found in the lower course?

Yes, they could test us on any aspect of population or rivers (exempt from case studies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Does anyone know advantages and disadvantages of displaying data using a scattergraph
Reply 88
Original post by Jade10128
Yes, they could test us on any aspect of population or rivers (exempt from case studies)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, And has anyone got model answers to question 2a-their all similar questions, e.g. outline purpose of your field work enquiry etc. :smile:
Original post by lucasluke
Does anyone know advantages and disadvantages of displaying data using a scattergraph

I found this site useful: http://math.youngzones.org/stat_graph.html
Reply 90
Original post by Jade10128
Last two papers have been graphical skills, so may be cartographic or stats I predict
Remember they may ask for a field sketch map, so make sure you can draw your study area and its characteristics! (last time they asked was Jan 2011)

If you have model answers prepared for fieldwork..make SURE you READ the command word of the question..many lose marks on ones such as 'Evaluate' where they just explain and don't justify using advantages/disadvantages

Remember the paper is marked by examiners in sections, don't think anyone will read and mark your entire paper, so be crystal clear when answering the questions especially on describing methodology/primary data collection so they would be able to follow your instructions - they want to know that you actually did this fieldwork and didn't copy from a textbook!

My prediction is physical, but sometimes they change it up. Population is more straight forward, rivers can catch you out more easily with a landform e.g. Jan 2010 labelled sketch of a meander. I'd say revise both equally just incase.

Also, ICT in use for fieldwork has not come up alot/at all, along with specific question on piloting techniques..any more questions ask me, I have sat this paper and looked through many mark schemes/past papers

Good luck everyone!!

What did you get on the paper?
Original post by Jaydude
Thanks, And has anyone got model answers to question 2a-their all similar questions, e.g. outline purpose of your field work enquiry etc. :smile:

I found this answer in response to "Describe the geographical theory, concept or idea that formed the basis of your fieldwork investigation":

'I decided to investigate the changing characteristics of the River Exe. The theory I decided to focus on was the Bradshaw Model. This suggests that, in most rivers, similar changes occur downstream from source to mouth. We focused upon three of these theoretical assumptions. The first part of the theory is that river velocity increases downstream, despite the gradient decreasing. It does this because the frictional drag of the bed and banks is reduced as channel efficiency increases' ....and so on.
Reply 92
Original post by iano101
What did you get on the paper?

E, C, C (2 marks from B)
Want to get a B overall in A Level Geography.
Reply 93
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-GEOG2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF
is this a mis print? question a ii)?

if it's not will someone please explain it, thought the LQ was n+1/4 not the other way around....
Original post by ljc123
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-GEOG2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF
is this a mis print? question a ii)?

if it's not will someone please explain it, thought the LQ was n+1/4 not the other way around....

I think it is wok out the answer see what u get :biggrin:
Reply 95
Original post by Melissajwilson
Okay

For the fieldwork section you should know the following things about your study:

- the aim of your study
- your hypothesis
- the theory you based your study on

- the exact location of your study
- why you chose that location
- the sampling technique you used ie. systematic, pragmatic

- the method you used to collect your data
- problems with your method
- justification of your method
- how you could improve your method

- the background sources you used throughout your study, ie. weather forecasts, textbooks for your theory
- risks during your study and how you delt with them ie. injury, hypothermia, depends on what you had to undergo to get your data

-how you presented your data
- justification of your method of presentation

- how you analysed your presented data ( in most cases, spearmans rank)
- advantages of this analysis
- disadvantages of tis analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hii...

I was wondering: we didn't present our data in any way. We looked at how channel characteristics vary downstream - the only data presentation I can think of is scatter diagrams, maybe locational graphs.. So my question is, what do you think I should say for data presentation for our investigation?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Also - what theory would my investigation of: "the characteristics of a rural village and a town in mole valley" be based on, if any? Would be it Malthus - increasing population putting pressure on resources. Or Boserup's - human ingenuity means that we will always develop new methods for dealing with an increased pop.
We investigated population, provision of services, the gender/age of residents and also the environment characteristics...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Blueray2
I think it is wok out the answer see what u get :biggrin:

Yeah i know but the formulas for the UQ and LQ are the wrong way around...
Original post by CurtisDean
Also - what theory would my investigation of: "the characteristics of a rural village and a town in mole valley" be based on, if any? Would be it Malthus - increasing population putting pressure on resources. Or Boserup's - human ingenuity means that we will always develop new methods for dealing with an increased pop.
We investigated population, provision of services, the gender/age of residents and also the environment characteristics...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go into school and ask asap.
Original post by CurtisDean
Hii...

I was wondering: we didn't present our data in any way. We looked at how channel characteristics vary downstream - the only data presentation I can think of is scatter diagrams, maybe locational graphs.. So my question is, what do you think I should say for data presentation for our investigation?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your presentation is your scatter graph :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending