The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chococup123
i didn't know much to say about Slim,other than things like he was presented in a positive light,well respected, listened to, 'prince of the ranch' and very supporting! i don't know if it was enough?

Importance shown in how long his initial introduction is compared to that of Curley, Candy etc. apart from that you have most points, can't write everything lol
Reply 1781
Original post by ryanb97
there are 3 poems that wont come up in the hiegher tier for every cluster .... i dont know why

there is another one aswell... i dont know what it is though

ryan

Ah, I see. Where can we find out which poems these are? I've decided I'm going to focus on the ones that haven't been asked and not the ones which, for whatever reason, aren't coming up for higher.
Original post by mitchellshazia
Poetry UMS is 70, 37/40 for Unit 3 translates to 48 UMS - this adds to 118 so you only need 62/80 UMS in this exam for an A*, which translates to only 38/68 - just over half marks!
You should be fine.
You may find this useful for the future, it's what I used to work this out:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

Could you do the same for me? I want an A* too, I got 69/70 UMS in the poetry exam, 31/40 raw in the coursework. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1783
Original post by Jo166
Anyone do the AIC question about the ending of the play??? No one at my school did and I don't know if what I did was right?? Will it matter if I didn't do that much context and lots of Lang analysis for AIC as well, some of my friends started talking about how it was the golden age and capitalism etc and all I did was that it conformed to the rules of a well made play??

Context (AO4) isn't marked in AIC so it doesn't matter, though the language stuff (AO2) is quite important.
Hell yeah! Eric and Slim came up! The exact same questions that I had practised before had reappeared, knew exactly what to write the moment I saw the question. Couldn't have gone any better! :biggrin:
Original post by Elm Tree
:rolleyes:

What do you think you'll get overall?

Well....I was aiming for an A* at the start, but now I'm just aiming for an A...I can't be sure, but I think I've secured at least a B, but it depends on the examiner's individual idea of 'perceptive'...and 'original'...:frown: What about you?
Original post by TheSmartOne
We definitely needed more thinking time! I'm not a slow writer, but I need to think through what I'm going to write before I put pen to paper!

I get 25% extra time so I had this thinking time xD
Reply 1787
Im not sure if i did enough for the second question!

MICE&MEN

his knowledge on 'politics or love' highlight Slim's character
Much like a politician he has business-like efficiency. However, 'love' is a more abstract topic, requiring empathy. This is shown when he is described as having a 'gentle voice'.
i wrote all the rest of the standard stuff
Part b: When Slim turned on the 'electric light', the table near him was 'bright' but the corners of the bunkhouse were 'still in dusk'. I said this shows the light is brightest where he is, and darker as you move away. This suggests he is the core of the ranch and a figure of inspiration. People may have seen him as a figure of inspiration. Despite the harsh 1930s economic depression, people still had some optimism due to Roosevelt's New deal and the 3Rs: relief, recovery and reform.

I also talked about crooks and how the ranch workers thought he was better than him
Reply 1788
For the Of Mice and Men question b I spoke a lot about Crooks and Candy and a tiny bit on Slim (and none else because I ran out of time) - so I talked about people who were considered less important - however i realise the question said more important - do you think i will still get marks?
Original post by TheSmartOne
Could you do the same for me? I want an A* too, I got 69/70 UMS in the poetry exam, 31/40 raw in the coursework. Thank you :smile:

Certainly! :smile:

31/40 in the coursework is 40 UMS, meaning you currently have 109 overall and need 71 in this exam - 48/68 in terms of raw marks (based on January's boundaries). This is less than 75% so hopefully you will be fine as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
what did A-A* students write about Eric?

And yes I was right when I send that Eric and Slim will come up! :redface:
How many people do y'all think read the TSR predictions? Members & non members

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustaDreamer
Well....I was aiming for an A* at the start, but now I'm just aiming for an A...I can't be sure, but I think I've secured at least a B, but it depends on the examiner's individual idea of 'perceptive'...and 'original'...:frown: What about you?

Hmm.. Worst case scenario probably full marks
:frown:

:awesome:
I kid, I kid... I've been aiming for an A, and I think I can achieve it. But if all doesn't go to plan I think ill end up with a B :sigh: Going to try compensate for it in English Language.. aiming for an A*
Reply 1793
Omg. I completely forgot who it was that analysed that same extract that came in the exam, but i ****ing love you. omg thank you:biggrin:
Reply 1794
It doesn't matter how much you write, whether is it more in section A or less in section B, it's perfectly fine, because the exam board marks your work as a whole. They do not give a grade for one section and a grade for the other. They give you a grade for what you have written overall (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
GUYS I GOT A MAJOR QUESTION
basically in the exam answering booklet where you write. I did OMAM question first then the Inspector Calls question second - was this aloud?
Also I wrote around 4 pages for OMAM and 3.5 pages for IAC but didn't have time to conclude for IAC.. how many pages did you guys write?
Panicked.

Messed up.

Anyone If i can resit in the June of next year without having to do the C/W again?

It's 40%
Original post by Avor
Im not sure if i did enough for the second question!

MICE&MEN

his knowledge on 'politics or love' highlight Slim's character
Much like a politician he has business-like efficiency. However, 'love' is a more abstract topic, requiring empathy. This is shown when he is described as having a 'gentle voice'.
i wrote all the rest of the standard stuff
Part b: When Slim turned on the 'electric light', the table near him was 'bright' but the corners of the bunkhouse were 'still in dusk'. I said this shows the light is brightest where he is, and darker as you move away. This suggests he is the core of the ranch and a figure of inspiration. People may have seen him as a figure of inspiration. Despite the harsh 1930s economic depression, people still had some optimism due to Roosevelt's New deal and the 3Rs: relief, recovery and reform.

I also talked about crooks and how the ranch workers thought he was better than him

What you put down was good and very creative, especially about Slim and the ranch. But you would have needed much more.
I'm so glad Slim came up! I did a practice essay for that last night with exactly the same extract!! :biggrin:

I can't really tell if I've done as well on part B because although I talked about a lot of context I still kept linking it to Slim as if the same kind of question had carried on from before. But I suppose it wouldn't matter because I talked about other characters like Curley's Wife and Crooks and then how Slim was higher in importance than them, linking to the idea of some characters being more important than others. I also talked about at the end when Slim comforts George and about how Slim viewed the American Dream and people's dreams in society as a whole.

I also did The Woman in Black, and chose to write about "A London Particular." At first I stressed out thinking "what even is that chapter?" but then I remembered and managed to write about a lot of pathetic fallacy and how the fog moved with personification, and then I linked it into other characters talking to show how things were spaced out to create the suspense, and then talked a bit about how the chapter ends and what it can foreshadow.

Overall I think I've probably done ok, but you can never tell with English :s-smilie:
I got 36/40 in the coursework, my teacher says for me to get an A based on last year's boundaries I will need 69 marks out of the overall papers, does this seem accurate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending