The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cycahm
Yeh hopefully!! What points did you make?

For which question, I chose to make the most obscure points to impress the examiner.
Original post by rihannagirl
yeah! what did you write for (a)

It was tricky! Erm I can't remember exactly haha... I know that everything I wrote I related back to context. I offered alternative interpretations :smile: I wrote about the theme of loneliness and how there was repetition of the word 'eyes', which could signify the judgment of multiple people and outlining societies attitude - they automatically judge people with their eyes without knowing the person. The reader therefore can feel guilt and be moved by the emotion shown by Scout at such a young age.. Basically stuff like that! The list goes on haha, how about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1862
Original post by sarahrimington
Anyone do the question on to kill a mockingbird?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did tkam! part a was annoying - i ended up repeating tension and suspense a lot, but i just tried to shove in as many devices as possible. ended up shorter than my other answers though. and part b i thought was pretty good? i mentioned the lynch mob, the missionary society ladies, the general prejudice and social segregation and how the town was making "baby steps" with quotes from atticus and miss maudie. so hopefully it went okay?

both pretty vague but i used that to my advantage to get a lot of stuff packed in.
Original post by sarahrimington
Anyone do the question on to kill a mockingbird?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes what did you put for both????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1864
Original post by Galileo Galilei
For which question, I chose to make the most obscure points to impress the examiner.

Hmm like Eric? I talked about the "half assertive" thing saying how he's not what he seems and his views are not expressed which the inspector therefore helped him and then there was this fireplace in the stage direction and I said how Eric enters at the tense moment creating sparks. Then I talked about how he is violent and didn't respect women, I then said he was violent as he forced his way into Eva smith's house, I also then said he may have had similar attitudes to me birling as he said "not really" when mrs birling accused him of stealing money so he may not be sorry after all but then on the other hand he was sorry blah blah blah. And then finally I did a terrible conclusion
So overall I think I'll not get a very good mark in this :'(
Original post by ryanb97
hey i did ralph :teehee:

i started of by doing the beast then i thought.... i dont know crap about it... i only revised for the conch and ralph

then i switched..made a new plan and then scribbled like hell !!

i thought LOTF is always fairly good though - i think i did really well here!!

how much did you write??

oh and i hated the OMAM question to... i actually thought that he was to minor... grr.... hopefully i can still get an A

are you doing poetry on thursday..if so what cluster??

ryan

Truth be told, I didn't even read the second question :tongue: I saw the first question and thought "Hell, yes!" and jumped straight into it. And well done, I'm sure you'll get that A :biggrin: I wrote about 3 and a half pages.

And yeah, I am doing poetry. I'm doing the Relationships cluster. What about you? :smile:
Original post by Galileo Galilei

Wasn't part B for OMAM on any character?
Obviously I talked about Slim/Curley/Curley's Wife/George+Lennie and American context.
As far as I can recall it was something to do with how does Steinbeck show hierarchy and status within the Novella and how does it reflect American Society.
Reply 1867
is two sides enough for each question?
and do you lose marks for not writing about a particular character?

e.g. only talking about slim & curley's wife part b
Reply 1868
anybody do sunlight on the grass? managed to misread the question as carla's relationship with the head instead of the head and teachers and answered that instead. luckily i had time at the end to edit and add in more paragraphs like the class divide that kenward symbolised and knot of teachers etc.

but i'm curious to see which stories other people did?
Ok, looking through these comments, this has made me worry now! :frown:

I wrote 4 pages altogether... 2 on AIC, 2 on OMAM. Mind you, I do have reasonably small handwriting.. I made 4 points about AIC and 2 points for each question on OMAM... I'm just really scared that I haven't gone into enough detail or made enough points!

I thought the actual questions themselves were ok though! :smile:
Original post by cycahm
Yeh hopefully!! What points did you make?

talked about the suspense and the frog sticking without a light quote
So...did anyone else do Mr Pip?

The Crucible went well, although I spoke too much about Act 2 and not enough about the ending. Mr Pip was beastly, I didn't even know that passage was in the book, and I read the book 3 times! I gave up and started talking about how Jones was preaching equality and pluralism through his presentation of outsiders :/

I got 40/40 for my coursework, so hoping I didn't screw it up too badly for an A* :frown:
Reply 1872
Original post by Avor
is two sides enough for each question?
and do you lose marks for not writing about a particular character?

e.g. only talking about slim & curley's wife part b

I wrote about 2 sides and for b I only talked about slim candy and the boss so I think you'll be find but I'm starting to think now ill fail so :/
Original post by queenly
anybody do sunlight on the grass? managed to misread the question as carla's relationship with the head instead of the head and teachers and answered that instead. luckily i had time at the end to edit and add in more paragraphs like the class divide that kenward symbolised and knot of teachers etc.

but i'm curious to see which stories other people did?

I spoke about when the wasps drowned. The relationship between Mum and children, and how she can be perceived as being a good and bad mother.
OMG. that exam was actually quite good! I was over the moon that Eric came up :smile: wrote around 10 paragraphs - 10 points for that. hell yeahhhhh!:biggrin: I wrote a bit less for OMAM, I only wrote around 8 points but MEH :smile:

one more lit exam and one more lang and im done with english :smile: hell chyeah!
Original post by mathsfreak8162
Yes what did you put for both????

Posted from TSR Mobile

You only answer one of the two questions :smile: I answered part a.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1876
Original post by theslowbaker
talked about the suspense and the frog sticking without a light quote

You mean of mice and men?
Reply 1877
Is anyone else doing the place cluster for poetry?
Original post by TAPTUT
OMG!THE QUESTIONS WERE PERFECT! The inspector calls one was on Eric and i had plenty to talk about-his social change-younger vs older generation... Then slim came up and i was like yhyhyhyhyhyh! I had plenty to write about-'understanding beyond thought'-through the use of the noun 'beyond' we can see that he perhaps transcends the conventions of the novel... then the second part was even nicer!It was not the same question re-phrased giving you the danger of repeating yourself!I talked about the ranch being a microchosm of american society-then talked about crooks and curley-the two sides of the spectrum.
I think we had i good and i feel sorry for the next lot because they will probably get the dogiest of questions!The only thing i think i messed up on was timing as i did not have time to read through any of my omam answer.But anyway THANKS AQA!
Any ideas on the grade bouandaries???

Yhyh i wrote the exact same thing with the beyond thing. I also said how the two closely interlinked words were seperated by beyond providing an effective contrast to show...forgot the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1879
Original post by harris12345
did anyone do the second crucible question? if yes, what did u write?????

i wrote about how the characters use the witch hunts as a facade to hide behind , and how the fight against witchhunts was more sinful than any sin that occured which shows that Miller presents the idead of the witch hunts as highly ironic, i also talked about danforths role and how Miller uses him to present ideas about witch hunts, along with Proctor and Tituba. I am not sure if u answered the Q?:frown: what did you write?:frown::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending