The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

OVER 70 people answered the poll now, will post final results at 10.00pm! www.surveymonkey.com/s/DH5TR7L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2121
Original post by lolface32
Nothing special :colondollar: Just good at making stuff up :rolleyes:. Besides, 36/40 is still an A*

So jealous of you! Just need to hope I've done well in this exam otherwise will I probably just get an A :frown:
Reply 2122
Original post by Elm Tree
Poetry: Relationships

Poems that have already appeared:

The Manhunt

Quickdraw

Praise Song for my Mother

Harmonium

Sonnet 11 (Not 100% sure, Jan '13)

Sonnet 43

The Farmer's Bride (Not 100% sure, Jan '13)

Nettles

Poems that have not appeared:

Hour

In Paris with You

Ghazal

Brothers

To His Coy Mistress

Sister Maude

Born Yesterday

All those seem most likely, I think there's a high possibility of ghazal coming up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2123
Original post by simmy123
Thats really good i talked about 'half shy half assertive'' priestley has split his personality its as if hes not a whole person hes insecure and not sure about himself

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hadn't even thought of that, it took me ages to think about something for that quote. Which text did you do in section B?
Original post by nnf
33 is an A which is good, and I'm just really nervous as I've done bad in the exam

Thank you, I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Really helpful resource for anyone studying relationships poetry, some of you may already have it but for those who dont here it is

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Elm Tree
:rofl:
I can't believe I wanted to do Lit for A level... As soon as I got back my poetry result (C) I immediately called my sixth form offers to change Lit to economics.

Lol, ah the sad times. That is sort scaring me for the poetry now :frown:.
Reply 2127
Im not sure if i did enough for the second question!

MICE&MEN

his knowledge on 'politics or love' highlight Slim's character
Much like a politician he has business-like efficiency. However, 'love' is a more abstract topic, requiring empathy. This is shown when he is described as having a 'gentle voice'.
i wrote all the rest of the standard stuff
Part b: When Slim turned on the 'electric light', the table near him was 'bright' but the corners of the bunkhouse were 'still in dusk'. I said this shows the light is brightest where he is, and darker as you move away. This suggests he is the core of the ranch and a figure of inspiration. People may have seen him as a figure of inspiration. Despite the harsh 1930s economic depression, people still had some optimism due to Roosevelt's New deal and the 3Rs: relief, recovery and reform.

I also talked about crooks and how the ranch workers thought he was better than him i wrote about 750 - 800 words in total?
Original post by andersson
Yeah, I'm so glad I made the mock questions. :biggrin: I thought I couldn't possibly have asked for better questions to be honest (for TWIB and OMAM). How about you?

By the way, there's a new thread for the poetry exam on thursday:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2357669

Haha, yes thank you for that omam question! Yes, i liked the first question (inspector calls) and for the OMAM question I struggled for timing on part B but hopefully it went ok!
Ooo good luck for poetry! I actually did the poetry early last year :smile:
Reply 2129
Original post by andersson
In note form, my answers went like this:

a) "tall" - Other ranch hands look up to him literally and figuratively.

"long" and "black" hair - Same appearance as depictions of Jesus, makes Slim more important because he's compared to someone who is key to a lot of people's lives.

"combs" hair - Action only done by someone who has people look at them a lot. Tells us he is important because he is someone who must be looked at for reassurance and help.

"royalty" - Saying he is someone who has a closer link to God than the average person.

can drive "ten, sixteen, twenty mules" - The longer an observer looks or thinks about him the more positively they think of him. His importance can be seen doubling here in a short duration of time.

"gravity" - Comparison with fundamental force of nature or a star, essential for life.

"understanding beyond thought" - Comparison with an omniscient (all knowing) God.

b) Slim is giver of life or death: lets Carlson kill Curley's dog, kills 4 of dog's puppies so the others have better chance of life, tells George killing Lennie was the right thing to do. Steinbeck saying that there was hope, there were ideal men around in 1930s who weren't clouded emotionally and could be rational. OR Steinbeck saying there is no hope, even the ideal men are violent.

Slim is helper in the story: helps Curley up after fight with Lennie, helps George up after killing Lennie. Helped both villain (Curley) and hero (George), implies Steinbeck was telling us people weren't just one-sided in the 1930s, people were neutral too.

................................................................................................

You could have written about anything in part 'a' and, as long as you used PEE analysis, gotten a mark for it. In part 'b' there are so many things you can write about, as long as what you said sounds intelligent and answers the question you should be getting marks.

Good luck to you too, hope this helped!

hey , I used some of these , this helped me SO much , thank you!
Reply 2130
Original post by Natasha792
Haha, yes thank you for that omam question! Yes, i liked the first question (inspector calls) and for the OMAM question I struggled for timing on part B but hopefully it went ok!
Ooo good luck for poetry! I actually did the poetry early last year :smile:

Oh, I didn't know some people did it like that. So you've completed all of English Literature GCSE now, well done!
Reply 2131
Original post by Mallory
hey , I used some of these , this helped me SO much , thank you!

My pleasure! :smile:
Reply 2132
Original post by Farhan96
If you got 33/40 (83%) you were only 2 marks away from a* which is 35 and the cw is only 25% so as long as you get over the a* boundaries in the exam by a bit you'll be fine :smile:

thank you for telling me this ! , however due to AIC , i am basically screwed:frown:
Original post by hebburn97
Anyone do 'The Crucible' exam today? John and Elizabeth Proctor?

Me!! And I spent waaayyyy to much time on it :-/
Hey, did anyone else involve other characters within the novella in part (b) of OMAM. Did you guys also talk about steinbecks intentions(i.e. why these people were considered less important - did u guys compare characters too to outline this?) and what these people represent?
Reply 2135
Will you lose marks for only talking about Slim & Crooks in OMAM?

wrote about 800 words
Original post by Perspective_
Hey, did anyone else involve other characters within the novella in part (b) of OMAM. Did you guys also talk about steinbecks intentions(i.e. why these people were considered less important - did u guys compare characters too to outline this?) and what these people represent?

I don't understand why people don't reference other characters! I did, you cannot answer the question if you do not
Original post by hebburn97
Anyone do 'The Crucible' exam today? John and Elizabeth Proctor?

YEAH! That was an awesome question partly because my English teacher is awesome! She made us do that exact question when we first started learning the Crucicle which was in about February! So I still remembered the points we talked about in class. Like literally we had to answer discuss john and elizabeth's relationship in act 2. xD Just didn't have the ending of how it changed since we hadn't got that far yet. :biggrin:
Argh worried as I did the first question for the crucible, although my points were good it seems everyone did the proctor and Elizabeth question
Reply 2139
Original post by Avor
Will you lose marks for only talking about Slim & Crooks in OMAM?

wrote about 800 words

anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending