The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Topaz_eyes
Each one's 2 hours, so it's not quite as bad :smile:

Yes :frown: I'm going to miss my friends so much! A couple of people are staying, but we won't all be living together anymore (I'm being horribly grown up and moving in with my boyfriend, eek!)

It's still pretty bad. Mine are three hours, but I've got two half papers which are two hours each - coincidentally, they're on the same day. I moaned about that when I found out, so you're more than entitled to complain if you're doing my "bad day" more than once! (I feel really sorry for one of my friends though. He's doing two of the toughest papers in Part II, for which the topics aren't discrete/droppable, and they've been scheduled for the same day - so he's got six hours virtually straight. Apparently there's nothing they can do.)

Aww, I'm sure it'll be fine - he's lovely! I haven't seen him on TSR recently though.
Original post by Tortious
he's lovely!

The loveliest.

Original post by Tortious
I haven't seen him on TSR recently though.

I've not been active since I graduated. But here I am in work on a Saturday, so I kind of feel like a student again.

Good luck with exams everyone!
Reply 182
Yep, big sympathy to everyone right now. Particularly finalists. I think motivation is hardest in final year because you've depleted your stores of productive panic and are just so tired of it all. At least everybody else is in the same boat.
Original post by Blaah Blaah
The loveliest

:hello: What do you do these days?
I'd like to seek a fellow Cantab's advice. I've got prelims in June and picked up an optional paper at the beginning of the academic year. At the time I wasn't aware of how the Tripos worked and assumed that in doing this paper, I would be able to substitute it for something else. But I was wrong. The thing is, I hated doing an extra paper and it was impacting on my other main papers as it was a lot of work to take on. I really want to drop it, but I just got confirmation of my prelim for the extra paper. In other words, I want to ditch it before the exam, which don't count for anything. I need to discuss it with my DoS. But how shall I approach the conversation? Please 'quote' my message so I can track responses...
Original post by Eggs and Ham
I need to discuss it with my DoS. But how shall I approach the conversation?

I'm a mathmo, and one who believes in doing things in the most unambiguous possible way when they're very important, and my DoS is similar, so I would just brain-dump into an email, tidy up phrasing etc to read well, and send it.
Original post by Smaug123
I'm a mathmo, and one who believes in doing things in the most unambiguous possible way when they're very important, and my DoS is similar, so I would just brain-dump into an email, tidy up phrasing etc to read well, and send it.

Thanks for this. What kinds of phrasing shall I use in the e-mail?!
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Thanks for this. What kinds of phrasing shall I use in the e-mail?!

I would just say something along the lines of "At the start of the year, I picked <paper> as an optional extra, thinking that I could drop it for <other thing>. At the time, I didn't realise that I had to keep with that paper, so I stopped working on it after <rough time>. I've just received confirmation that I'm sitting <paper>, when in fact I've not done any work on it for <rough time> because I thought that I could drop it. I think that doing the extra paper will adversely affect my performance on the main papers. Is it possible to drop the paper now?"
Or whatever you see fit, really - maybe add something at the end about seeing your DoS in person if that's what you want to do.
Original post by Smaug123
I would just say something along the lines of "At the start of the year, I picked <paper> as an optional extra, thinking that I could drop it for <other thing>. At the time, I didn't realise that I had to keep with that paper, so I stopped working on it after <rough time>. I've just received confirmation that I'm sitting <paper>, when in fact I've not done any work on it for <rough time> because I thought that I could drop it. I think that doing the extra paper will adversely affect my performance on the main papers. Is it possible to drop the paper now?"
Or whatever you see fit, really - maybe add something at the end about seeing your DoS in person if that's what you want to do.

Thanks so much, I'm going to e-mail my DoS today...
Losing the will to live... in one week I'll be in my first exam. I have so much left to learn, but at the same time I just want it to be over... :frown:
Losing the will to live... in one week I'll be in my first exam. I have so much left to learn, but at the same time I just want it to be over... :frown:

We can do this! :jumphug:

Spoiler

Reply 190
I think I'm almost as anxious as everyone else for exam term to end. The libraries are really stifling, and I want to throw something at all the groups of people who sit and giggle for hours on end rather than working :colonhash: You can't escape them.
Summer is going to be awesome.... (apart from the ton of research I need to manage) three months of quiet library space all to myself :daydreaming:

Good luck! Part III (probably) won’t be so bad at least the exams are spread throughout the year!
Original post by Nichrome
Good luck! Part III (probably) won’t be so bad at least the exams are spread throughout the year!

That's if I make the grade :tongue: Thanks, though :smile:
Reply 193
Tomorrow. :sigh: By the time I get to Wednesday things hopefully won't seem so bad. I'll have all my language and translation papers over by then, leaving me 6 days to revise French lit, and 9 days for Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by camaieu
Tomorrow. :sigh: By the time I get to Wednesday things hopefully won't seem so bad. I'll have all my language and translation papers over by then, leaving me 6 days to revise French lit, and 9 days for Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rave: 6 and 9 days are enough :yep: Keep it up!
Original post by camaieu

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! I keep doing that too - "It's okay because this time next week I'll be..." (on my day off, but with 4/7 done and 70% of the whole year finished!)
6 and 9 days are plenty of time :smile: :jumphug:
Reply 196
I've always felt there was something distressingly cruel about holding the Cambridge Beer Festival in May each year. If only they could move it one month forward! I never managed to go as an undergrad as a result.

Trying to persuade my OH to go with me this Saturday...
Reply 198
What excellent foresight Cambridge has, foreseeing admissions statistics in 2102..
Original post by camaieu
What excellent foresight Cambridge has, foreseeing admissions statistics in 2102..

It seems to have been fixed now. I'm not sure they'd have noticed it on their own - does that mean there's a lurker among us? :holmes:

(If so, hello! :wavey:)

Latest

Trending

Trending