The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustaDreamer
Anyone? :frown:

urm did yu relate it back to the mother lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone? :frown:

nope...

i wrote about how the wobble of her bike links to the cartoon character of mr wobble from noddy :biggrin:
Reply 2682
Original post by TelephoneBox
Yeah you could definitely talk about those. They aren't as strong as some points admittedly but definitely don't think it went badly because as long as you have backed up your work with some analysis (which you must have done to make such perceptive points) you'll be fine. :biggrin:

thank you ! english lit down , english language to go!
Reply 2683
Anyone do Wild swans at Coole and the moment?
Reply 2684
say , whats more inportant , english literature or english langauage ?
Original post by TelephoneBox
Good job it came up then :biggrin:

I did Sonnet 116 and Hour. :smile:

Wooo :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mallory
say , whats more inportant , english literature or english langauage ?

Lit because its harder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olympiad
Same I did sonnet 116 & 43

I memorised an essay on that :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol! Me too! I memorized off Mr Bruff E book guide and his videos on the 2 sonnets
We probably have identical ideas in our answer lmfao.
I was happy to see Sonnet :smile: Though I thought it would be Ghazal all the way till Tuesday.
I didn't expand too much on the phallic P...... imagery got everything else.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mallory
probably not , its down to interpretation

Original post by Catfish1311
You won't get 0. They mark it in 3 "strands".
The first is the ideas and themes. Maybe not so well on this one if you didn't answer the question properly, but you should still get something.
But the other two are detail and language/structure/form/etc, so if you've said good stuff about those, then your mark will still be fine!

Thanks guys, I'm feeling so stupid right now, especially as I'm aiming for an A! I said something like the round wheels and the rounding mouth of the mother suggesting that a parent's hesitance and care is essential for keeping the right balance and stability (connoted by the wheels of the bike), also said something about how two wheels might suggest that both parents are needed for a good start in growing up and that it may contradict young readers' ideas that you can have an equal amount stability in growing up with just one parent...I remember offering different interpretations and further evaluations too...Thank again anyway :redface:
Did anyone compare 'Hawk Roosting' with 'next to of course god america i'(Conflict) and in which particular way? I was pretty much one of the few people in my school that decided to do it that question.. oh well. Btw these literature exams are probably the worst due to the time restrictions since there is so much to say and i never wrote that fast, ever.
Original post by Harveena123
urm did yu relate it back to the mother lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't say I did, even though she was mentioned in some interpretations :frown:
Original post by ryanb97
nope...

i wrote about how the wobble of her bike links to the cartoon character of mr wobble from noddy :biggrin:

Lol Really? :smile: That brings me back to childhood....
Original post by ForeignHamster
Did anyone compare 'Hawk Roosting' with 'next to of course god america i'(Conflict) and in which particular way? I was pretty much one of the few people in my school that decided to do it that question.. oh well. Btw these literature exams are probably the worst due to the time restrictions since there is so much to say and i never wrote that fast, ever.

I compared Hawk Roosting to Flag.
Oh no. I wrote 'mid-line caesura' instead of enjambment.. I did a couple of times as well ffs. How many marks will I lose?
I can't say I did, even though she was mentioned in some interpretations :frown:

Lol Really? :smile: That brings me back to childhood....

yeah... i had a bout 10 mins left and i ran out of ideas :wink:
Original post by ryanb97
yeah... i had a bout 10 mins left and i ran out of ideas :wink:

Haha cool how much did you write? I wrote about three pages for the comparison and then a page for the Unseen...:s-smilie:
in the mark scheme it says to evaluate, what does it mean by this???
I thought this exam was easier than I anticipated.

Section A doing Character and Voice I compared River God with My Last Duchess with the theme of control which was quite simple as the speakers in both have a certain set of rules they want others to conform to and that they both try to control women by murdering them. I sort of lost some time on this but was able to make two comparative points (two for each poem) which I believe was good.

Section B was a lot easier to understand than I though it would be. The idea of only a few words on each line linking to how fast she has grown up. Also I though that the "curved path" into the "park" was a representation of childhood with the "curved" showing how life is difficult and not straightforward with some 'bumps' along the way and as this path is only the entrance it could make the "park" symbolic of life as the path is only the entrance showing how the daughter has so much ahead of her in life. Not sure if these points are valid but I am hopeful.

Wish I had an extra 15 minutes or so to fully express my points but overall I think I wrote enough for an A I want but if the grade boundaries are as low as people have been saying I have a feeling I could sneak an A*. Hope you all found it good as well. :smile: Also good I don't have to do English for A level.
Reply 2697
Original post by sunshinebeem
Oh no. I wrote 'mid-line caesura' instead of enjambment.. I did a couple of times as well ffs. How many marks will I lose?

Technically it should be none as you do not gain marks for terminology so if you explanation was valid and your point surrounding it, the examiner should use their best judgement to understand your point so I'm guessing like 2 at the most if you have a harsh examiner.
Reply 2698
Would the examiner mind too much if the point is kind of loose?
Reply 2699
Original post by ghost_rebel
wooo!:biggrin: nd i didnt manage to get all my points down which I had in my head due to the time:frown: but for yellow palm,i mentioned about the mosque showing religion as a cause of conflict nd saying how the man reflects the glass coffin as its fragile,which might suggest the man being fragile aswell:L i think that a pretty poor interpretation haha nd for belfast confetti i just mainly talked about the use of 'exclamation marks nd 'asterisk' saying the scale of destruction!what points did u make??

Ah that sounds good! I mentioned for both that they show emotional destruction- the yellow palm about the muezzin and Belfast confetti about him stuttering. Then about how it causes destruction of natural world in yellow palm-barbarian sun and man made destruction in Belfast confetti- about the labyrinth :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending