The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
Original post by LucyTheWeird
I'm not sure - probably not, unless they mark you down for poor comprehension, since the author's name was written at the bottom of the poem, plus the word 'she' was included in the question!
Seriously though, it shouldn't affect your mark as long as the points you make are good :-)

Thanks! It was in the comparison question where I chose my own poem so it didn't have she in the question, but cheers anyway :wink: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2781
Original post by SH0405
Thanks! It was in the comparison question where I chose my own poem so it didn't have she in the question, but cheers anyway :wink: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crap, wrong exam board thread! Sorry guys :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NatashaG
for unseen I said...

- She is sad daughter is moving away 'goodbye.' very powerful hard hitting last one word sentence

- She is also understanding of her daughter moving away remembers her 'laughter' she is happy for her

- She is comparing her daughter growing and moving from her to teaching her how to ride a bike, therefore she finds it easier to come to terms with as she knows she gave her the ability to grow up and away from in the same way she taught her to ride her bike.

-She feels as if her daughter has grown up too quickly - fast pace of poem 'enjambment' also highlighted by the shock she has that her daughter could ride away from her so quickly

is this enough? imaginative?
aiming for A*

yeah i put the same stuff, and yeah i hope it is :biggrin: i dont see why not, but you can only get an A* if you also did go in the first question as well, what question did you do ?
Original post by sgobara08
yeah i put the same stuff, and yeah i hope it is :biggrin: i dont see why not, but you can only get an A* if you also did go in the first question as well, what question did you do ?

I compared Born Yesterday with To His Coy Mistress, my favourites! how about you?
Reply 2784
For the place cluster for the question about crossing the loch and a strong sense of place which poem did you compare it with. I chose blackbird of glanmore is this correct?
I said that the daughter's hair being like a handkerchief could be like a surrender, a surrender from childhood. In war, they usually use white handkerchiefs or flags as a form of surrender and I said that the daughter riding on a bike was her surrender from childhood, ie the first steps of growing up. I said that the enjambent between 'waving/goodbye' was like a sob between the break that the mother felt she had to let out before saying farewell to her baby, she was now growing up. I also commented on structure and said that if we silhouette the poem, we can see an almost wavy effect, I said that because the poem only had one stanza, the wave was like a metaphorical rope the mother had on her daughter, it was shaking because the girl was riding around on her bike, but I said the last, short line was like the mother was about to let go of this rope as the daughter didn't need that support anymore.
Guys...? :frown:
Original post by Ryan075
Have you looked through all 139 pages of this thread???

no,,, but i have been here since the 13th page-ishh mark :biggrin:
Original post by examphobia
I said that the daughter's hair being like a handkerchief could be like a surrender, a surrender from childhood. In war, they usually use white handkerchiefs or flags as a form of surrender and I said that the daughter riding on a bike was her surrender from childhood, ie the first steps of growing up. I said that the enjambent between 'waving/goodbye' was like a sob between the break that the mother felt she had to let out before saying farewell to her baby, she was now growing up. I also commented on structure and said that if we silhouette the poem, we can see an almost wavy effect, I said that because the poem only had one stanza, the wave was like a metaphorical rope the mother had on her daughter, it was shaking because the girl was riding around on her bike, but I said the last, short line was like the mother was about to let go of this rope as the daughter didn't need that support anymore.

You are so getting an A*. Just saying.:biggrin:
I did Hawk Roosting - Conflict because i'm a boss

nufc
Original post by NatashaG
I compared Born Yesterday with To His Coy Mistress, my favourites! how about you?

ohh i did character and voice :biggrin: so differect question and poems, but i hope you get that A* you are looking for :biggrin:
Ok guys,the lit exams are over what are you planning to burn first? Your prose? (TKAM for me + short stories) or your poetry?
Im going for the prose first. Something old and something new was a nightmare!!!
That sounds pretty good :biggrin: i didnt do that question, but i would have used the same poem to compare if i had to :biggrin: what did you say about cheacking out me history? and what did you say what the similarities was between the two poems? :biggrin:

I said that Checking Out Me History used Caribbean dialect to express cultural identity and pride of the way he speaks. I said that this pride was shown in the faith he has in his ancestors, important, black figures such as Mary Seacole. I said that the 'yellow ray of sunshine' added a sense of hope for the future in seeking his identity and was an optimistic view on the discovery of himself. I talked about Agard's ideas that children are wasting time learning about nursery rhymes when they could be learning about different cultures. I said that the speaker stands for all people from diverse cultures who want to know about themselves in greater depth, it's a human right. I wrote aswell about the sense of rebellion with 'Dem tell me' 'but', the 'but' shows his feeling of rebellion and his passion, he dismisses what they tell him and only listens to his self.

I said that one similarity was that both poets Fanthorpe and Agard use their characters in these dramatic monologues as figures for groups of people. Like I said previously about those who want to find their identity, I said that Alison also stands for a group of people with serious injury and brain damage who need 'reminding' of immense things such as a death of a father. I said that the poem emits pathos because of this.
Original post by SH0405
Crap, wrong exam board thread! Sorry guys :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fail! Either way, it really shouldn't matter haha :-P
Original post by Chitanda Eru
You are so getting an A*. Just saying.:biggrin:

Haha, thanks, I hope so! I put in so much effort in that exam, I tried so hard to find relevant, 'exploratory' points. :biggrin:
ohh i did character and voice :biggrin: so differect question and poems, but i hope you get that A* you are looking for :biggrin:

haha fair enough, you too!
Did anybody do Hawk Roosting? What did you say the Hawk was portrayed as?

Nufc
Original post by examphobia
I said that Checking Out Me History used Caribbean dialect to express cultural identity and pride of the way he speaks. I said that this pride was shown in the faith he has in his ancestors, important, black figures such as Mary Seacole. I said that the 'yellow ray of sunshine' added a sense of hope for the future in seeking his identity and was an optimistic view on the discovery of himself. I talked about Agard's ideas that children are wasting time learning about nursery rhymes when they could be learning about different cultures. I said that the speaker stands for all people from diverse cultures who want to know about themselves in greater depth, it's a human right. I wrote aswell about the sense of rebellion with 'Dem tell me' 'but', the 'but' shows his feeling of rebellion and his passion, he dismisses what they tell him and only listens to his self.

I said that one similarity was that both poets Fanthorpe and Agard use their characters in these dramatic monologues as figures for groups of people. Like I said previously about those who want to find their identity, I said that Alison also stands for a group of people with serious injury and brain damage who need 'reminding' of immense things such as a death of a father. I said that the poem emits pathos because of this.

sounds like a really good answer :biggrin: i am sure that you have done really well :biggrin: as long as you linked every point to the question then you should be looking at a very good results day :wink:
sounds like a really good answer :biggrin: i am sure that you have done really well :biggrin: as long as you linked every point to the question then you should be looking at a very good results day :wink:

I hope so, haha!
Reply 2799
Did anyone do Born Yesterday with the poetry from anthology? Or TKAMB for unit 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending