The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacksnothere
I thought this exam was easier than I anticipated.

Section A doing Character and Voice I compared River God with My Last Duchess with the theme of control which was quite simple as the speakers in both have a certain set of rules they want others to conform to and that they both try to control women by murdering them. I sort of lost some time on this but was able to make two comparative points (two for each poem) which I believe was good.

Section B was a lot easier to understand than I though it would be. The idea of only a few words on each line linking to how fast she has grown up. Also I though that the "curved path" into the "park" was a representation of childhood with the "curved" showing how life is difficult and not straightforward with some 'bumps' along the way and as this path is only the entrance it could make the "park" symbolic of life as the path is only the entrance showing how the daughter has so much ahead of her in life. Not sure if these points are valid but I am hopeful.

Wish I had an extra 15 minutes or so to fully express my points but overall I think I wrote enough for an A I want but if the grade boundaries are as low as people have been saying I have a feeling I could sneak an A*. Hope you all found it good as well. :smile: Also good I don't have to do English for A level.

i compared river god to last duchess aswell.. Then I forgot I'd already compared and did it again with les grands seigneurs... Whoops :-) but overall I was so happy with the face river god came up :biggrin:
Original post by examworrywarts
I did! So glad Im not the only one! What did you talk about?

i did aswell.. I talked about how both the characters in the poems like to toy and play around with the woman/men.. Or something like that
Compared sonnet 116 and 43, somehow knew it was going to come up 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2823
So I had practiced exactly the essay for question 7, comparing sonnet 116 and hour.Hopefully I will get a good mark as I wrote about 5 long paragraphs, 3 of which were, what I consider, 'in depth and insightful analysis'.

I found the unseen pretty hard. It was SO obvious, it was almost impossible to find insightful meaning.
I wrote something about:
The lack of rhyme showing how the mother is so surprised and frantic that she cant put together a rhyme, or understand the situation almost.
I wrote about the last line showing the true meaning of the poem, and summarising it. Also the way 'goodbye' is on its own shows how the mum feels left alone and isolated.
I spoke about the word 'loping' having animal connotations and the length of the vowel suggests how relaxed parenting used to be.
At last I wrote about how parents 'teach' their kids what paths to take but will still be 'surprised' as they take a curved path.
Also the fact she is curving into a park shows how the mum trusts her to make her own decisions, creating a life full of happiness and fun.

And some other pretentious crapola. How do you reckon I did?
Reply 2824
Original post by Jennielou123
I dunno for a* but you need 105 marks overall for an A so you'll easy get A*

What?! That seems so low since all the marks for the three add up to 174 do you mean just for those 2?
Reply 2825
Did anyone do the english edexcel exam for poetry for higher tier today..?I wanted to know if anyone found it hard; i did..
Reply 2826
Also, i knwo this is the aqa thread but i cannt fidn one for edexcel..so far i have had full marks in 75% of my lietrature grade...but i did an exxam totday and i think i did horrendously bad beacuse the same poem from last year turned up and i had to make it up!-does anyoen know what grade i would need for a A* overall;
Did anyone compare Born Yesterday to The Manhunt? I hope I've done well. I found the unseen quite simplistic and I was saying so many different things as they came to me.
Hey guys im really scared for my conflict exam. I did the question on the 'Hawk Roosting' question but i compared it to 'At the Border 1979' . I think i have compared the poem wrongly as i DID compare the power but i know that 'Flag' would have been easier but i did not think that at the time. Please someone respond and tell me if 'At the Border' could possibly be a poem to compare. please respond
I did the conflict cluster and compared 'The Yellow Palm' with 'Out of the Blue'.
My friend on the other hand chose the same question (linking destruction to conflict) but instead chose to compare 'The Yellow Palm' with 'Hawk Roosting' and this didn't really make sense to me. I couldn't quite see how destruction linked to conflict is portrayed in 'Hawk Roosting'. In my opinion, 'Hawk Roosting' is a poem about POWER, not DESTRUCTION. I'm thinking he should have chose the other question which mentioned power, instead. Do you think he'll be okay?
(edited 10 years ago)
in the unseen did anyone highlight the title? it said 'to A daughter leaving home' .. not MY daughter leaving home this could show how the mother felt as if she was losing her daughter, her daughter was becoming her own person?? is this right?
i also compared sonnet 116 to to his coy mistress? does anyone think this was a bad idea? i tried my best sigh
Reply 2832
I don't care all that much about this exam, knew I was going to fail the moment my lessons got cut short.

Ahhhh well... I failed pretty much, would be surprised to see an 'E' on the results day.

I just laughed coming out of the exam because I knew how bad I've done.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by la-uren
I did the Relationships cluster & I'm sososo happy that Sonnet 116 came up!

I compared Sonnet 116 with To His Coy Mistress and said how love isn't affected by beauty in S116 but is in THCM, love isn't impacted by time in S116 but is in THCM, and I compared the ideas presented on the types of love in each poem (i.e. Sonnet 116 shows romantic love; THCM shows physical + more sinister love).

Did anyone else compare Sonnet 116 with THCM? :smile:

I also did, yay :smile: I wrote basically the same thing :smile:
Original post by FruitTwist
i also compared sonnet 116 to to his coy mistress? does anyone think this was a bad idea? i tried my best sigh

Nah, its not i did the same i talked about love in THCM was portrayed as the underdog of lust and the victim of time and how love is portrayed as immpossible for humans to control etc.Then said how this contrasted withe the surface ideals of Sonnet 116 as if read with its correct metre and iambic pentameter then it could portray a positive and inspiring tone on love etc (the stress on 'is' 'love' makes it a statement.)However some similarities are that it could be an accusional tone against the reality of love as the first line sounds like he is responding to someone. Like THCM he dictacts what love is also they both portray a sinful love and use phallic language etc. Thats what i put:biggrin:
Original post by cxhay
Did you not bring any other poem into your question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did,but what I did was do a paragraph on one poem and then another paragraph on the other poem!I didnt kind of link them together
Was I the only one who wrote about the unseen poetry of the title ''To a Daughter Leaving Home''. I wrote about the nature of the poem and that the ''a'' rather than using my could show seperation, and then I said that this could suggest, with the nature of the bike ride, that this memory will be similar for any mother, and the seperation through growing up is similar and that is why ''a'' is used rather than my as it is a shared experience for any mother.
I did the second question of place and compared it to Neighbours. However, I thought that unseen poetry was so much easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VotzAppenin
Did anyone compare Born Yesterday to The Manhunt? I hope I've done well. I found the unseen quite simplistic and I was saying so many different things as they came to me.

I did :biggrin: What did you say?
Original post by cleveradam
Where the hell does death/funeral play a part in the relationship unseen poem?
I understand where your coming from? but it is not very clear.
I understand your indirectly trying to convey that her mother is close to death and she is letting go of her daughter. You will certainly get marks for your interpretation though but for accuracy (that is subjective to the marker)
it took me over a minute to fully understand what you were trying to say but I presume you put it better in the exam?

I did I was just billet pointing what I said to prevent people not being bothered to read

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending