The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randlemcmurphy
Was I the only one who wrote about the unseen poetry of the title ''To a Daughter Leaving Home''. I wrote about the nature of the poem and that the ''a'' rather than using my could show seperation, and then I said that this could suggest, with the nature of the bike ride, that this memory will be similar for any mother, and the seperation through growing up is similar and that is why ''a'' is used rather than my as it is a shared experience for any mother.

nope i did.. i said that the woman was symbolically represented as woman everywhere; one could argue that she represented a microcosm for all women societys in the world :biggrin:

i just wanted to use the word microcosm

ryan
Original post by maudeadams
I did the conflict cluster and compared 'The Yellow Palm' with 'Out of the Blue'.
My friend on the other hand chose the same question (linking destruction to conflict) but instead chose to compare 'The Yellow Palm' with 'Hawk Roosting' and this didn't really make sense to me. I couldn't quite see how destruction linked to conflict is portrayed in 'Hawk Roosting'. In my opinion, 'Hawk Roosting' is a poem about POWER, not DESTRUCTION. I'm thinking he should have chose the other question which mentioned power, instead. Do you think he'll be okay?

as long as he made valid points
my comparison was weird.. i did TYP and at the border?

and he could have linked it to the effects of conflict... the cause of destruction via power... if you get what i mean?

ryan
Original post by Yusuf bhatti
Hey guys im really scared for my conflict exam. I did the question on the 'Hawk Roosting' question but i compared it to 'At the Border 1979' . I think i have compared the poem wrongly as i DID compare the power but i know that 'Flag' would have been easier but i did not think that at the time. Please someone respond and tell me if 'At the Border' could possibly be a poem to compare. please respond

i forgot the question :colondollar:,,, what was it?
Reply 2843
Original post by ryanb97
no,,, but i have been here since the 13th page-ishh mark :biggrin:

Well four ryan's then...its almost five!
Reply 2844
Anyone compare Hawk Roosting and The Right Word?
I talked about physical power, as well as the figurative power of words?

And I didn't finish the unseen poem, so I'm really freaking out. How much do you think I could get if I only analysed 3/4's of it?
Original post by FruitTwist
i also compared sonnet 116 to to his coy mistress? does anyone think this was a bad idea? i tried my best sigh

nope I did and there was a lot to say :smile: I talked about the difference in iambic meter how pentameter in sonnet 116 is traditional and natural way of speaking showing love is presented ad conventional and natural and tetrameter for to his coy mistress how it lessens the iambs showing stress on time :smile: and also other crap about ageing and death imagery vs. love withstanding time and stuff like that :smile:
I'm really worried because I gave a lot of alternative explanations for the unseen?! Would I still get lots of marks?!
Original post by NYcitygirl
I'm really worried because I gave a lot of alternative explanations for the unseen?! Would I still get lots of marks?!

thats a good thing! - you will probably be in a higher band so you will have more marks,,not less :biggrin:

ryan
Original post by ThatGirlx
First I stupidly went and done sonnet 116 to hour
Then changed my mind with 15 minutes left and decided to do Born Yesterday compared to Nettles

wut, how did you manage that?
Did you cross your work out? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2849
Can someone give me feedback and an average mark for this basically I compared born yesterday to praise song for my mother

I started with an introduction saying how both poems display wishes and hopes differently etc.

my first point was on imagery I said metaphors are used differently to express there ideas on wishes in praise song "you were the moons eye to me" implies that her mother was her hope in life she became the wishes and guided her through life , compared. To "tightly folded bud" in born yesterday which suggests the baby has lots of time for her fate to be decided as she hasn't yet blossemd so he can grant her wishes

I then looked at structure in born yesterday the poems split in two the first half what he wishes er not to be the second half what he wishes her to be, this shows he wants his hopes and wishes for her future to be direct etc i then said the structure in praise song is split into 4 three line stanzas each focusing round a different aspect of what her mother meant to her the enjabmbent shows that each wish and hope her mum was for her daughter was much more elaborate and meant more also there's more to discuss as its happened

my next point was language both poems uses personal pronouns "I and you" in born yesteday ssuggests more direct wishes which he desires to the baby and wants to imply they came directly from him while in praise song they were " you and me" which shows how the wishes are shown from a different perspective and were more intimate it also shows that the daughter has acknowledged what her mother did for her ie. devote her life to making the hopes and wishes she has for her daughter come trUe

i then concluded by saying something around the lines of, both poems express wishes and hopes but both in bee different ways as one in from the adults point of view granting wishes for the future and one is spoke in past tense talking of wishes and hopes her mother has already granted and given her
her

it would be great if someone could tell me how well I answere the question etc.
Original post by M.M.HUSSAIN
The handkerchief could also reflect the sadness the mother had, she was crying...jus saying

Alternatively if the handkerchief was white (although not explicitly mentioned) it could symbolise the surrender of the mother, giving up for support and guidance towards the daughter, and letting her "wobble away" and become more independent :smile:
Original post by examphobia
I compared Casehistory with Checking Out Me History and mentioned that Checking Out Me History ends hopefully, the absence of a full stop emphasises that the journey for identity isn't over, it has only just begun. Yet in contrast, Casehistory has a long line in each second line of each stanza which resembles that Alison is so close to grasping the thought, but the third, shortest line expresses that she just can't get there and the enjambment is like a sigh. So I said that Casehistory ends hopelessly, the last stanza is one line, Alison's journey for her past identity is over and this length of stanza echoes the pain of giving up.

I compared casehistory with a portrait of a deaf man because the descriptive imagery and oxymoron which in visage his identity as a "kind old face" and both are concerned with identity being stripped away due to loss; in casehistory it's her memory and in PODM it's the loss of the father by death and this idea of a sombre ending is both also defines their identities as somewhat ambiguous :smile: was I right to compare those poems?
Reply 2852
HELP! I DIDN'T FINISH THE EXAM! I did around half of the unseen poem and I ran out of time, do you think it's still possible for me to get an A?
Original post by Kavoi08
HELP! I DIDN'T FINISH THE EXAM! I did around half of the unseen poem and I ran out of time, do you think it's still possible for me to get an A?

yes....
Reply 2854
Original post by ryanb97
yes....

Oh thank God! :smile:
Original post by FruitTwist
i also compared sonnet 116 to to his coy mistress? does anyone think this was a bad idea? i tried my best sigh

I did that too! There was so much to say about To His Coy Mistress, I just couldnt not do it. But im sure its ok, because there are plenty of essays on the internet comparing these two poems. :smile:
Reply 2856
Let's make some predictions for the non-fiction paper coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2857
Original post by examworrywarts
I did! So glad Im not the only one! What did you talk about?

i did that too, what did u guys write?? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I studied relations and used the sonnet 116 and compared it with sonnet 43, please tell me that somebody else did that, or my anxiety may turn into a full on panic attack!:s-smilie:
Original post by Sophie080197
I studied relations and used the sonnet 116 and compared it with sonnet 43, please tell me that somebody else did that, or my anxiety may turn into a full on panic attack!:s-smilie:

Yep, I did that too. I always knew comparing one sonnet with the other would be a logical choice, and managed to say quite a bit about how the 'ideas of love' contrasted. It was a pretty nice question, I hope I did as well as I feel!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending