The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K FIZZLE
How does an action potential travel along an axon? The explanation in the book is vague

I saw somewhere that the recently influxed sodium ions diffuse along the axon, causing the voltage gated sodium channels further long to open, but why does this cause them to open? Do they open in responce to a big change in voltage?

action potential generate a current which depolarises the membrane immediately adjacent, when depolarisation caused by the local currents reaches threshold, a new action potential is generated, but it is only propagated in one direction as the previous membrane is still in its refractory period
Reply 1561
Original post by Castiel'
IAA - auxin (plant hormone) produced at the tips of shoots and roots

(looking at a shoot/root tip horizontally)

At the tips of shoots, it stimulates growth of cells by elongation. IAA at the tips of the shoots diffuse to the bottom half of the shoot , increasing growth of cells on the bottom half so that the bottom half of the shoot is longer than the top half and hence, curves upwards towards the light.

At the root tips, IAA inhibitis growth. IAA diffuses downwards to the bottom half of the root tip and inhibits growth of the bottom half of the root tip. Hence, the upper half of the root tip has grown more and so the whole root tip bends downwards towards gravity.

but doesnt IAA causes elongation if cells therefore more growth on the side withh IAA on? if IAA diffuses to the bottom half why would it inhibit growth on thr bottom half of the root tip?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsguy
Can someone tell me everything I need to know on the DNA side of the course, we've been taught very fragmented. Also what do I need to know about the eye? Thanks in advance!

Have you not got a textbook? Refer to the BIOL5 section of the specification..DNA is 3.5.6-3.5.8.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2410-W-SP.PDF
Original post by HELPIMSTUCK
Its not too late at all, panicking isn't going to help.

At my college we have been practicing for the essay by doing essay plans for some of the old essay titles. Hopefully one of the old essay titles will come up again (they have done for the past two years), but if it doesn't then we're supposed to know enough to create an essay from the things we do know.

Learn certain topics that relate to lots of possible essay titles i.e.
- CHOLERA - could be used on essays about importance of water, bacteria affect human lives, disease, osmosis, plasma membranes
- NITROGEN CYCLE - could be used on essay about inorganic ions, importance of nitrogen, cycles essay, the environment
- POLYSACCHARIDES - relates to carbohydrates and polymers essay

- If you read the specification AQA note certain topics that are assessed as part of "synoptic skills". They are found at the end of the details of each module under "biological principles" and are quite vague but you could think about how different topics relate to each other and could be used in an essay.

- Think back to any topics you "enjoyed" and learn the basics (you don't need that many details really, only 5 relevant points). You don't need to relearn all the content of units 1,2 and 4, and its probably going to waste precious revision time anyway.

- At this point there isn't that much point spending too much time on the essay, its probably better to focus on the unit 5 content (which is worth at least 75% of the UMS marks, possibly more if you write about it in an essay). But if you remember its there it could be worth up to 25 easy(ish) marks (it is just recall).

GOOD LUCK :smile:

Hey do you happen to have a list of the old spec essay titles?
Reply 1564
Its not too late at all, panicking isn't going to help.

At my college we have been practicing for the essay by doing essay plans for some of the old essay titles. Hopefully one of the old essay titles will come up again (they have done for the past two years), but if it doesn't then we're supposed to know enough to create an essay from the things we do know.

Learn certain topics that relate to lots of possible essay titles i.e.
- CHOLERA - could be used on essays about importance of water, bacteria affect human lives, disease, osmosis, plasma membranes
- NITROGEN CYCLE - could be used on essay about inorganic ions, importance of nitrogen, cycles essay, the environment
- POLYSACCHARIDES - relates to carbohydrates and polymers essay

- If you read the specification AQA note certain topics that are assessed as part of "synoptic skills". They are found at the end of the details of each module under "biological principles" and are quite vague but you could think about how different topics relate to each other and could be used in an essay.

- Think back to any topics you "enjoyed" and learn the basics (you don't need that many details really, only 5 relevant points). You don't need to relearn all the content of units 1,2 and 4, and its probably going to waste precious revision time anyway.

- At this point there isn't that much point spending too much time on the essay, its probably better to focus on the unit 5 content (which is worth at least 75% of the UMS marks, possibly more if you write about it in an essay). But if you remember its there it could be worth up to 25 easy(ish) marks (it is just recall).

GOOD LUCK :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!! Your the best!!!! :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by erniiee
Hey do you happen to have a list of the old spec essay titles?

SPECIFICATION A

Spoiler

SPECIFICATION B

Spoiler

- There may be more which I have not found. We did the specification A ones in college
Hi , just wondering what you lot would give me out of 25 for this essay?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

Please look at my above post, would appreciate a lot!
if this is from memory then very impressive! range of modules, well structured! seems to be quite broad aswell, dont know about a mark but youre seemingly in the right direction!
Ok so , I need 25/25 in the essay :smile:

does anyone have useful tips for the essay bar include stuff out of the spec?
Original post by master y
Hi , just wondering what you lot would give me out of 25 for this essay?

Spoiler

It would probably be worth at least 20, 22-23 (not that I really know)
- I wouldn't bother much with an introduction, your not going to get any marks for it
- the stuff about DNA and proteins at the start of the 2nd paragraph isn't really relevant - this is mentioned on the June 10 exam report
- the cancer and emphysema sections seem a bit short, could probably be beefed up abit
- the paragraph on lifestyle factors is a bit flaky, you've just listed lots of factors and the problems they can cause without going into detail. Maybe it would be better to chose a couple of lifestyle factors and write about them in detail rather than list everything you can think of. Similarly you didn't really go into enough details about STDs.
It would probably be worth at least 20, 22-23 (not that I really know)
- I wouldn't bother much with an introduction, your not going to get any marks for it
- the stuff about DNA and proteins at the start of the 2nd paragraph isn't really relevant - this is mentioned on the June 10 exam report
- the cancer and emphysema sections seem a bit short, could probably be beefed up abit
- the paragraph on lifestyle factors is a bit flaky, you've just listed lots of factors and the problems they can cause without going into detail. Maybe it would be better to chose a couple of lifestyle factors and write about them in detail rather than list everything you can think of. Similarly you didn't really go into enough details about STDs.

Thanks for your feedback. I sent this to my teacher, and i was given 13/25 for this... just wanted someone else's opinion on my essay.
Thanks for your feedback. I sent this to my teacher, and i was given 13/25 for this... just wanted someone else's opinion on my essay.

:eek: Did your teacher give you any other feedback?
:eek: Did your teacher give you any other feedback?

yeah she said the last few paragraphs need to be more specific...eg which lifestyle choice links to what risk etc. fair point. For scientific knowledge i got 8/16... do you think this is fair? Anyone? Feeling a bit depressed about it now..
Reply 1574
Original post by samfreak
but doesnt IAA causes elongation if cells therefore more growth on the side withh IAA on? if IAA diffuses to the bottom half why would it inhibit growth on thr bottom half of the root tip?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IAA inhibits cell growth in root tips (when IAA conc. is high) and IAA increases cell growth in the tips of shoots.
Hi everyone, this is a question about unit 4 but I couldn't find the thread for it. I'm guessing you're all doing unit 4 or have done it anyway??? My school has decided to do the whole course at the end of the year ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyway can anyone answer this question from the Jan 2011 Unit 4 paper?

"Residual food intake RFI is the different between the amount of food an animal actually eats and its expected food intake based on its size and growth rate. Scientists have selectively bred cattle for low RFI.

When RFI is calculated, low values are negative. Explain why there are negative."

WHY??? I've looked on the mark scheme and it says "amount of food take in is less than expected" but this doesn't make sense to me

Please can someone explain?? Many thanks
Original post by Castiel'
IAA inhibits cell growth in root tips (when IAA conc. is high) and IAA increases cell growth in the tips of shoots.

is IAA a hormone or a growth factor thingy?
yeah she said the last few paragraphs need to be more specific...eg which lifestyle choice links to what risk etc. fair point. For scientific knowledge i got 8/16... do you think this is fair? Anyone? Feeling a bit depressed about it now..

I think 8 is a bit low. The mediocre essay from the AQA website got 8 and yours was definitely better.

- Maybe use more technical scientific vocabulary - prokaryotic cell, intrinsic protein, plasma membranes, etc
- Sometimes your expression was poor; "If an individual lives by one or more of these lifestyle choices, then they are at more at risk of .... ","As a result emphysema sufferers have insufficient gas exchange" :confused:
- "An example of this virus, is influenza" - what is this comma for? Lose one mark
- "Majorly" is slang
- Write more ....
is IAA a hormone or a growth factor thingy?

IAA is an auxin, so a growth regulating factor :smile:
Original post by cheesypuff
Ok so , I need 25/25 in the essay :smile:

does anyone have useful tips for the essay bar include stuff out of the spec?

Hey! From the mark scheme I was given by my teacher, I got told that there's only 2 extra marks for out of spec stuff, so personally I wouldn't stress about learning reams, just read round a bit and see if there's anything relevant that you could maybe include, but I wouldn't panic if you can't fit it in on the day :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending