The Student Room Group

AQA ENGB3 English Language A2 exam - 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hope it went well for everyone today :smile: I did questions 1 and 3. Have to say I much preferred the January CLA text! I'm not entirely sure how it went, but it was okay, I think. Change was definitely easier than CLA for me and it's usually the other way round!
Reply 21
what did you think of the CLA speaking text? (question 1) I didn't mind it but I have never seen a monologue like that in the past. I was hoping for some CMC on language change, but I did question 4 (the two school reports) which seemed okay as I like comparing two texts.
Reply 22
Hey
I did the exam today and found it so hard. I know I have failed buy I was wondering how many pages did you do? My friends did about nine and I only did six therefore I'm kind of worried. To those who got Bs in the January exam how many pages did you do roughly

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I found question 1 (Leila speaking) not too bad, but I found question 3 about the Boston massacre extremely challenging..I learnt so much terminology for language change but found it really difficult to actually apply it to this text, how did everyone else find this question?
Reply 24
Original post by IRP
I found question 1 (Leila speaking) not too bad, but I found question 3 about the Boston massacre extremely challenging..I learnt so much terminology for language change but found it really difficult to actually apply it to this text, how did everyone else find this question?

I found it a really challenging paper! :frown: What key points did you write about?
Reply 25
Original post by Luke6193
what did you think of the CLA speaking text? (question 1) I didn't mind it but I have never seen a monologue like that in the past. I was hoping for some CMC on language change, but I did question 4 (the two school reports) which seemed okay as I like comparing two texts.

What did you write about for question 4? I found it a difficult paper.
Reply 26
Original post by Hxxx18
Hey
I did the exam today and found it so hard. I know I have failed buy I was wondering how many pages did you do? My friends did about nine and I only did six therefore I'm kind of worried. To those who got Bs in the January exam how many pages did you do roughly

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry about how much you wrote, it's quality not quantity. In my AS exam last year I only wrote 4 pages for the entire exam. I ended up getting a high B and actually got a higher grade than my friends who had done more pages than me :smile:
Reply 27
There wasn't anything significant about any of the data. We were given very horrible data with very little to extract from. I wrote about two pages on the significance of using "Head Mistress" vs "headteacher". :/ D-grade
Reply 28
Original post by Jam'
There wasn't anything significant about any of the data. We were given very horrible data with very little to extract from. I wrote about two pages on the significance of using "Head Mistress" vs "headteacher". :/ D-grade

hahaha same pretty much! that was one of the only points that jumped out at me!

I think I focused too much on context due to the fact I couldn't find anything to talk about:/
Reply 29
Original post by Sarah0752
I found it a really challenging paper! :frown: What key points did you write about?

I though the Lelia script was really good! There was plently of theorists to examine such as Skinner, Haliday and Nelson and the phonology/lexis/grammar/discourse and pragmatics was also pretty good I thought. What did you do for change? I did the school reports which was pretty hard. I mentioned the archaic lang/semantic change/informalisation/gender/how schooling today is taken more seriously hence more contextual info in the ofsted text and also technology and syntax. How did you find it?
Original post by Hxxx18
Hey

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a B in January and I think I just about filled the booklet. It's quality, though, not quantity :smile:

Surprised to hear people struggled with it, I thought they were quite nice texts! Though the monologue in text A was annoying/unfamiliar, to be fair.

Original post by IRP

I found quite a lot to talk about for it! Although it did wane towards the end, and I started talking about the narrowing of the word 'mob' to now mean Italian mafia... and how it's undergone a sense of amelioration due to the covert prestige of being in the mob. Hah. I hope I have an examiner with a sense of humour.
Reply 31
Original post by Sarah0752
What did you write about for question 4? I found it a difficult paper.

I found 4 difficult too. There was a lot to talk about contextually but that's only 8 marks max! :\ I found it hard to bring theorists in and the ones I mentioned I struggled to clearly link to my points. Much harder paper than the past papers, I thought!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending