The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Anyone know the best and most cost effective way of travelling from London to Edinburgh? I'm not in the UK at the moment, but it would be a good to note for when I do return. Looks like my options are either train, coach or plane. We don't have anything arranged yet but I'd ideally like for us to try and visit each other every weekend of we can. I'm kinda itching to take a break from my travelling abroad partly so I can see him again, especially as we'd been together in Australia for only two months before he went back home to Edinburgh. I feel like that's maybe too early for a new relationship to turn so long distant. We'll see what happens anyway.

Train will take you about five hours each way but can be pretty cheap if you book in advance, and it's East Coast so you can collect reward points to get free tickets. Flying might be quicker (factor in time to get to/from each airport as well as the ticket cost) and Easyjet fly there from Stansted and Luton so should be cheap if you book in advance. I wouldn't get a coach just for a weekend visit, takes too long and I don't think it's worth the cost saving for that.

Whichever way you pick, going every weekend is going to cost you loads. Do you have something keeping you in the south when you return to the UK? It'd almost be worth moving to Edinburgh if you want to see him that often...

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi guys, so this is the dilemma im facing at the moment with my gf...im taking law at uni after my a levels and my gf is taking medicine nevertheless she was accepted into two unis one of which is newcastle university...whilst i too have an offer from that university ive done my research and other unis that have given me offers such as reading are better than newcastle and also significantly closer to London wherein my family lives in. This point brings us to the second part of the dilemma wherein my family doesnt want me to go far away from them (i mean it already took me a lot of convincing just for reading..when they heard about newcastle they started to freak out..especially my mum)specifically my mum whos particularly anxious about me moving to a university far away from her. Nevertheless i dont know what to do...should i carry on this relationship during uni..because i trust her and all..but it'd be a bitch to get ****ed over from all the way up north , if you get my jist. Now im not saying im a perfect guy or anything but i wouldnt try to do anything of the sort to a girl that i'm in a relationship with..regardless of how far we are from each other and under whatever circumstances etc. The thing is i dont know what to do..should i follow her, should i stay at reading and keep it going with her...or should i just end it before the worst? What do i do?

one hell of a conundrum aint it?.. thanks ladies and gents! ^^
Original post by Anonymous
hi guys, so this is the dilemma im facing at the moment with my gf...im taking law at uni after my a levels and my gf is taking medicine nevertheless she was accepted into two unis one of which is newcastle university...whilst i too have an offer from that university ive done my research and other unis that have given me offers such as reading are better than newcastle and also significantly closer to London wherein my family lives in. This point brings us to the second part of the dilemma wherein my family doesnt want me to go far away from them (i mean it already took me a lot of convincing just for reading..when they heard about newcastle they started to freak out..especially my mum)specifically my mum whos particularly anxious about me moving to a university far away from her. Nevertheless i dont know what to do...should i carry on this relationship during uni..because i trust her and all..but it'd be a bitch to get ****ed over from all the way up north , if you get my jist. Now im not saying im a perfect guy or anything but i wouldnt try to do anything of the sort to a girl that i'm in a relationship with..regardless of how far we are from each other and under whatever circumstances etc. The thing is i dont know what to do..should i follow her, should i stay at reading and keep it going with her...or should i just end it before the worst? What do i do?

I think you need to think hard about how much you care for her.. For some, there would be no question about it, they would go to the uni they want to and never think of ruling a relationship out.. How long have you been together? :smile:

your family obviously care a lot about you but remember, it's your decision, you want to go to a uni you'll be happy at. Is your girlfriend definitely going to Newcastle?

Big decisions when it comes to uni, I'm going to go into a LDR this September with my boyfriend of 3 years (2 hour travel) but I'm going to give it my best shot at working it out!
it really does depend on how in love you two are.. :smile:
x
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Train will take you about five hours each way but can be pretty cheap if you book in advance, and it's East Coast so you can collect reward points to get free tickets. Flying might be quicker (factor in time to get to/from each airport as well as the ticket cost) and Easyjet fly there from Stansted and Luton so should be cheap if you book in advance. I wouldn't get a coach just for a weekend visit, takes too long and I don't think it's worth the cost saving for that.

Whichever way you pick, going every weekend is going to cost you loads. Do you have something keeping you in the south when you return to the UK? It'd almost be worth moving to Edinburgh if you want to see him that often...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm, come to think of it, I don't really have much to stay in the south for tbh. I have always considered that if we work out longer term, I would happily move up to Edinburgh to be with him. I dunno if it'd be a bit soon to do it after only after being together a couple of months though. Then again, we've sort of already lived together after living in the same hostel in Melbourne for nearly a couple of months, so maybe it wouldn't be that different? I'll see how things go when I return to the UK and have my first visit to him in Edinburgh :yep:
Hmmm, come to think of it, I don't really have much to stay in the south for tbh. I have always considered that if we work out longer term, I would happily move up to Edinburgh to be with him. I dunno if it'd be a bit soon to do it after only after being together a couple of months though. Then again, we've sort of already lived together after living in the same hostel in Melbourne for nearly a couple of months, so maybe it wouldn't be that different? I'll see how things go when I return to the UK and have my first visit to him in Edinburgh :yep:

You wouldn't necessarily have to move in with him in Edinburgh, but if you have no reason to stay in London then you might as well live/work in Edin where you can try to have a normal relationship and see how things go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Becca-Sarah
You wouldn't necessarily have to move in with him in Edinburgh, but if you have no reason to stay in London then you might as well live/work in Edin where you can try to have a normal relationship and see how things go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, true. Would be good to be near each other for when we do want to meet up, as well as have our own spaces instead of being in each other's faces 24/7. That's something I could consider if there are good job/study opportunities for me in Edinburgh, which I worry there may not be many compared to in London, but I'll have a look into it anyway.
Reply 9866
Hello guys.. I just wanted to pour my heart out to all of you possibly going through the same thing.
My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half in a long distance relationship. It's funny because our relationship initially started as a long distance one and there was no normal phase for us. With time and lots of airplane tickets, talking to him on skype and not being able to see him for more than two months started taking the best of me.
If I meet the conditions of my offer I am going to KCL in September and I am pretty sure I will do. Boyfriend is now living in Birmingham and searching for a new job in London. I am praying that he gets it so this whole long distance crap can be over. I am afraid to tell him how badly I want him to get a job there. I am not a needy girl but being in a new county, living just a few underground stops away from my partner will make a big difference. We have a 7 year gap and although I am pretty grownup for a 19 year old, I do feel that I am younger than him sometimes. Also, I want to add the fact that his family is Indian (even his mum and dad were born and raised in Britain but still) and it will be very interesting when we meet.
I love him to pieces but there are days when I just wish things were easier for us. I am grateful we found each other because I don't doubt that he is the one. Some days are horrible, other are better but overall it's just hard. The moments when we are together go away in a blink of an eye.

Sorry for the long post! I didn't realize that I've written a book. :biggrin:
Reply 9867
After hearing my friend go on and on and on about her long distance relationship with her boyfriend in Australia for 4 years, me and her boyfriend decided to make her wish of seeing him come true! I had been to Australia 5 times as my family live there and her family couldn't afford it for her to fly out, I wish I could have payed.. if I had a spare £1000, that's what I would have spent it on. It was her 18th birthday the other day and I had came back from Australia 1 month early to spend her 18th with her, and there was a box in the middle of the venue (big enough for a car, thank you to her parents for sorting that big of a box out.. you're genius'!) and I was stood under it with a smaller box. She opened the box and freaked out when she saw me, we hadn't seen eachother in 3 months. She then asked what the smaller present was, I said it was a gift from Australia and it most certainly was.. her boyfriend was under it. Seeing them happy was the best feeling in the world. He's been saving up for 3 years to be able to fly over and see her, he can now afford 5 return trips, he just wanted the first to be on a special occasion. Love can conquer all:smile:
Reply 9868
Original post by dooobie_
After hearing my friend go on and on and on about her long distance relationship with her boyfriend in Australia for 4 years, me and her boyfriend decided to make her wish of seeing him come true! I had been to Australia 5 times as my family live there and her family couldn't afford it for her to fly out, I wish I could have payed.. if I had a spare £1000, that's what I would have spent it on. It was her 18th birthday the other day and I had came back from Australia 1 month early to spend her 18th with her, and there was a box in the middle of the venue (big enough for a car, thank you to her parents for sorting that big of a box out.. you're genius'!) and I was stood under it with a smaller box. She opened the box and freaked out when she saw me, we hadn't seen eachother in 3 months. She then asked what the smaller present was, I said it was a gift from Australia and it most certainly was.. her boyfriend was under it. Seeing them happy was the best feeling in the world. He's been saving up for 3 years to be able to fly over and see her, he can now afford 5 return trips, he just wanted the first to be on a special occasion. Love can conquer all:smile:

What a beautiful story! My eyes teared up a little!
My boyfriend has just left after after spending a few days at my house after driving for 7 hours to surprise me :smile: him and my parents had planned it as a treat for the day after my final exam, I can't describe the shock of seeing his car coming up my driveway :tongue:

Thought I'd share this as my parents hated my boyfriend 6 months ago, and now they're insanely close and are happy to plan things together :smile: if anyone has troubles with boyfriends / girlfriends and parents not getting on, trust me. It can get better :smile:
Reply 9870
does anybody else sometimes feel like they wish they had never bothered with the relationship?

Not at all :erm:

Are you in an LDR at the moment, or have you broken up?
Reply 9871

Regarding university - I would make the decision you want to make, for you.

If you want to remain with your gf you can still do so. I'm not sure going to uni together (especially if it means a huge compromise) is any easier or more likely to "succeed" than going to separate unis and having an LDR. LDRs can and do work, sometimes they don't but I see no reason not to cross that bridge when you come to it and just see how it goes.

If your relationship does last (by which time there will likely be a much more serious commitment between you two), I think you and your gf will be so glad that you didn't hold one another back at this stage, and maybe even that you did have unique experiences at university. I can also add in my experience having "survived" a period of LDR does make a relationship feel very strong.

If it turns out you don't remain with your gf - well it is obvious that you would feel like a mug if you ended up in Reading instead of Newcastle because of her (although, it does depend on how strongly you prefer Reading).

EDIT: For some personal context I study medicine and my boyfriend also chose to study in the best place for him, instead of potentially shortening the distance to a "normal" relationship. Yes I would have loved to see more of him, but I'm glad he didn't compromise something so important (and for most people a "one off" life experience) for my sake, I know he has loved being at the uni he chose (which is much nicer than the one closer to me) - and I've also genuinely enjoyed the experience of visiting him in another city. Also, being busy with my studies it might actually have been a problem for him to be closer.
Original post by 68beats
Hello guys.. I just wanted to pour my heart out to all of you possibly going through the same thing.
My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half in a long distance relationship. It's funny because our relationship initially started as a long distance one and there was no normal phase for us. With time and lots of airplane tickets, talking to him on skype and not being able to see him for more than two months started taking the best of me.
If I meet the conditions of my offer I am going to KCL in September and I am pretty sure I will do. Boyfriend is now living in Birmingham and searching for a new job in London. I am praying that he gets it so this whole long distance crap can be over. I am afraid to tell him how badly I want him to get a job there. I am not a needy girl but being in a new county, living just a few underground stops away from my partner will make a big difference. We have a 7 year gap and although I am pretty grownup for a 19 year old, I do feel that I am younger than him sometimes. Also, I want to add the fact that his family is Indian (even his mum and dad were born and raised in Britain but still) and it will be very interesting when we meet.
I love him to pieces but there are days when I just wish things were easier for us. I am grateful we found each other because I don't doubt that he is the one. Some days are horrible, other are better but overall it's just hard. The moments when we are together go away in a blink of an eye.

Sorry for the long post! I didn't realize that I've written a book. :biggrin:

I really hope things work out for you! :smile: best of luck with your conditions and with your boyfriend's job hunt :smile:
When you and your partner are apart, what's the longest you can go without messaging each other (email, texting, Facebook, etc) and what's the longest you can go without speaking (phone, Skype, etc)?

I'm just curious as to what is generally considered normal.
When you and your partner are apart, what's the longest you can go without messaging each other (email, texting, Facebook, etc) and what's the longest you can go without speaking (phone, Skype, etc)?

We text through the day, so a maximum of a few hours when we're busy. And tend to Skype once a day, again if we're busy there's occasionally a gap of a like 2 days. But I don't think we're normal - I'd be curious to hear more responses!

We go a few days up to a week without speaking on the phone/skype. Usually only 1 of those a week.
He works 10-6 in the week, so we can't really text during the day. We will send the occasional random text, but never have full conversations during the day - some replies take a few hours because of him working xD But yeah, we'll probably send at least one text a day. Sometimes leave random comments on facebook/twitter.
I'm not sure we're normal either though. Some people seem to text a lot throughout the day! We just never have done.

Edit: I've finished Uni for the summer now, so we're not long distance any more, but he's off in Malaysia for 3 weeks so currently we can only email. We've been emailing every day or every other day this week. Just random updates of what we're doing!
(edited 10 years ago)
We text through the day, so a maximum of a few hours when we're busy. And tend to Skype once a day, again if we're busy there's occasionally a gap of a like 2 days. But I don't think we're normal - I'd be curious to hear more responses!

Ah, I'm kinda jealous of you. The gaps between our messages averages about a day, which is fair enough as we have to have our own lives to lead and time differences are a bit awkward (I'm in Australia, he's in UK), but sometimes he can take 3 days to reply and says it's cos he's been busy. And then I've been nagging him a few times for nearly the past two weeks to add me on Skype, but he still hasn't. It's kinda annoying me as I feel like he doesn't really listen to me and/or isn't as invested in keeping this relationship going as I am. I've been getting so depressed and lonely from time to time, and I'm worried that if I keep bringing it up with him, it might annoy him or make me seem massively needy or something. This is so difficult for me, and sometimes I wonder why I bother with this and whether I should break up with him or not, would being single be easier to deal with than being LDR?

Well, this is my first proper relationship and my first ever LDR, so I'm constantly quite stuck on how exactly I'm supposed to go about things. Argh, so stressful lol. I'll give it a bit more time and hope he replies to my message soon, but I dunno if I'm liking having a relationship only through Facebook messages now.
Original post by katehlouise
We go a few days up to a week without speaking on the phone/skype. Usually only 1 of those a week.
He works 10-6 in the week, so we can't really text during the day. We will send the occasional random text, but never have full conversations during the day - some replies take a few hours because of him working xD But yeah, we'll probably send at least one text a day. Sometimes leave random comments on facebook/twitter.
I'm not sure we're normal either though. Some people seem to text a lot throughout the day! We just never have done.

Edit: I've finished Uni for the summer now, so we're not long distance any more, but he's off in Malaysia for 3 weeks so currently we can only email. We've been emailing every day or every other day this week. Just random updates of what we're doing!

Ah ok. Good to know that other people go a few days without contact, so it's not just me and my bf. Do you not miss him much during that time, or you cope with it fine because of your busy lives and the fact that you've gotten used to the distance now?

My relationship only turned long distance just under two weeks ago now, whereas before we saw each other nearly everyday and were even living in the same backpackers hostel for a while, so I'm still trying to adjust to everything suddenly changing. Plus, I've been having a bit of a rubbish time in Australia lately which probably makes the separation feel that much worse, that I'm out here but it doesn't feel like I've any longer got a good reason to be so far from him.
Ah ok. Good to know that other people go a few days without contact, so it's not just me and my bf. Do you not miss him much during that time, or you cope with it fine because of your busy lives and the fact that you've gotten used to the distance now?

My relationship only turned long distance just under two weeks ago now, whereas before we saw each other nearly everyday and were even living in the same backpackers hostel for a while, so I'm still trying to adjust to everything suddenly changing. Plus, I've been having a bit of a rubbish time in Australia lately which probably makes the separation feel that much worse, that I'm out here but it doesn't feel like I've any longer got a good reason to be so far from him.

Well before I went to University, we'd see each other at least twice a week. So we went from that, to having to wait for 3-5 weeks to see each other.
It was difficult at first, but once I got into my university work it was a lot easier. I think it was probably good in a way because I could focus properly on doing my work and first year and also making new friends and being able to go out. So I was busy doing that, and he works all week so we both had things to do. I had down days where I really missed him, but for the most part it was okay to deal with! Of course, your situation is a little different than mine, being in different countries!

My boyfriend and I text/FB message every day (the amount of replies differ depending on how busy we both are but it's generally more in the evening when we can have like a proper conversation) but we don't actually speak that often. We used to Skype on and off a fair bit at the start but now only really do so on special occasions. I'd like to Skype more though as I miss hearing his voice and having proper face-to-face conversations. We rarely phone one another unless one of us has something really important to say for example. We never go a day without talking via FB/text (holidays are sometimes an exception) but overall rarely speak in person to one another when we're apart. It works for us although as I said I'd love to Skype more often.

I think every couple is different and a different amount of contact works for individual people. I know couples who Skype/speak on the phone every single evening but don't talk throughout the day at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending