The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Computing - COMP3 11/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Mystogan.
Especially compared to last years COMP3 thread. Maybe everyone is really confident about this exam.

Who am I kidding :noway:

This exam will be top if we don't actually have to code a recursive algorithm, insertion sort etc.

:lol:

I certainly wouldn't say that!
And yeah, I'm saving some papers late too, due to a sheer lack of them.
Reply 141
Original post by Mystogan.
Especially compared to last years COMP3 thread. Maybe everyone is really confident about this exam.

Who am I kidding :noway:

This exam will be top if we don't actually have to code a recursive algorithm, insertion sort etc.

And apparently some of the guys from last year got free laptop bags for doing well... does anyone know if that's still running this year?

...with high tuition fees an' all :colone:
Original post by Sketch

And apparently some of the guys from last year got free laptop bags for doing well... does anyone know if that's still running this year?

I don't quite know the deal about that but I do know the top 50 students got free stuff. I'd be jealous but in reality I'm happy to take a C and meet my offer :eek4:
Reply 143
Original post by Sketch

FREE STUFF!! If we got a free laptop for acing this exam, I would revise so much :colone:
It's good to dream :moon:
Feeling so, so worried and underprepared about this exam. Gonna read that 63 page AQA revision guide today and then do a couple of past papers and some more revision tomorrow and hopefully, will that be enough to get a C? :frown:
Would someone mind explaining the b(n) busy beaver function? I simply cannot get my head round it..
Original post by A Wise Ninja
Would someone mind explaining the b(n) busy beaver function? I simply cannot get my head round it..

I'm not sure we need to know that for the exam...All I know is that it gets REALLY big really quickly XD
How is everyone feeling about this exam?
I'm bricking it. Been soo focused on Maths that i actually haven't revised at all for this, will have to try and cram it in 2 days. Was aiming for a B as well (which according to my teacher, i will need to get 78% in this exam to get a B yet 50% to get a C)
In databases- can anyone define to me what a 'tuple' is? Not come across this word before..

Namely- the difference between an attribute and a tuplet, using an example? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 149
In databases- can anyone define to me what a 'tuple' is? Not come across this word before..

Namely- the difference between an attribute and a tuplet, using an example? :confused:

It's basically just a row in a table, so a set of attributes variables. You can think of an attribute as being a column.
Original post by D-Box
It's basically just a row in a table, so a set of attributes variables. You can think of an attribute as being a column.

That makes a lot more sense than the description I just read, cheers.
Hey guys, do any of you know if there are any answers to the learning resources on the AQA website? Namely the binary tree one. I'm not so sure I did it right :colondollar:
Is it correct that BAUD RATE * BANDWIDTH = BIT RATE?
Is it correct that BAUD RATE * BANDWIDTH = BIT RATE?

I thought Bit Rate = Baud Rate * No of Bits?
Original post by JASApplications
I thought Bit Rate = Baud Rate * No of Bits?

Yeah - that makes sense. Because if the thing can change 4 times a second and each voltage represents 2 bits you are getting 8 bits a second
What algorithms do we need to learn to write out?

Insertion Sort, Binary Search...
Do we actually need to know how to calculate the order of growth / big O notation for an algorithm?

There isn't much to that part of the problem solving section in the specification but it goes into much more detail in the Comparing Algorithms section of the AQA endorsed textbook.
Reply 157
Original post by JASApplications
What algorithms do we need to learn to write out?

Insertion Sort, Binary Search...

I don't think you actually have to memorise them. Just be able to recognise it if they showed some pseudocode and be able to run through it with a trace table. I think you only need to know insertion sort, quick sort, binary search and probably linear search and bubble sort.

Original post by Disgruntled95
Do we actually need to know how to calculate the order of growth / big O notation for an algorithm?

There isn't much to that part of the problem solving section in the specification but it goes into much more detail in the Comparing Algorithms section of the AQA endorsed textbook.

With the order of growth, they'll only give a fairly easy one if they ask you with an example. Just remember that a nested loop means it's O(n^2). Just so you know, here are some of the complexities for common algorithms:

Binary search - O(log n)
Linear search - O(n)
Quick sort - O(n log n)
Bubble sort - O(n^2)
Original post by D-Box

With the order of growth, they'll only give a fairly easy one if they ask you with an example. Just remember that a nested loop means it's O(n^2). Just so you know, here are some of the complexities for common algorithms:

Binary search - O(log n)
Linear search - O(n)
Quick sort - O(n log n)
Bubble sort - O(n^2)

So this is pretty much just the questions were they give you 3 options and you tick one for a mark?

Also, thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 159
Original post by Disgruntled95
So this is pretty much just the questions were they give you 3 options and you tick one for a mark?

Also, thanks a lot! :smile:

The only questions I remember seeing were the ones where it names the algorithm and you tick its complexity, or they'll show some pseudocode and ask you to write down what the order of complexity is for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending