The Student Room Group

WJEC BY5 June 17th 2013

Who else is doing this exam? Any thoughts/predictions on what will come up? Other questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm doing it too - there's such a lack of papers :s-smilie: The exam only gets taken in June every year, so no January papers, plus it's a new spec...
Yeah it's pretty annoying, there's only about 3 papers plus the specimen paper. I think the old Bi5 papers create more confusion than they're worth too, after answering various questions on them, I'm now confused as to what's even on the syllabus any more.
Reply 3
Ahh I feel the same. Are you either of you retaking by4?
Reply 4
No, somehow I got 106/120, I didn't feel ready for it. Just hoping for a nice BY5.

And I know what you mean, you have to pick and choose through BI5 papers, although my teacher said there's hardly anything relevant on them.
Reply 5
there a lot of relevant question in the old bi1 paper, it used to have all of the photosynthesis, meiosis, genetic engineering and fingerprinting stuff on that paper
Hi there, I'm taking this exam too :smile:
I agree about the past papers, really irritating. I've made a whole stack of revision cards for this module so I'll probably do all the papers and then just use those to make sure I'm up to scratch on all the learning...
I resat BY4 last year and got 96/120 which is about the lower limit I'll need to have a chance of pulling my grade up to an A, so I'm really hoping BY5 won't be too bad. Hello13, thanks for that. There's still a risk that the mark scheme will be worded differently for the same topics, so you have to be cautious about learning from any Bi mark scheme. After all, WJEC mark schemes seem annoyingly specific about wording.
Does anyone know where to get hold of a more detailed specification? The one I could find is only about two short paragraphs per topic, so I'm not sure how we're expected to know what they want us to learn really.
Hi I'm sitting By5 next week too (and By4 tomorrow O_o) feel unprepared since there is a lack of past papers for by5 :/ anybody have any idea about essays that might come up? I'm kind of hoping for a succession essay.
Reply 10
Original post by meat style piece
Does anyone know where to get hold of a more detailed specification? The one I could find is only about two short paragraphs per topic, so I'm not sure how we're expected to know what they want us to learn really.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/12618.pdf
Reply 11
Original post by meat style piece
I resat BY4 last year and got 96/120 which is about the lower limit I'll need to have a chance of pulling my grade up to an A, so I'm really hoping BY5 won't be too bad. Hello13, thanks for that. There's still a risk that the mark scheme will be worded differently for the same topics, so you have to be cautious about learning from any Bi mark scheme. After all, WJEC mark schemes seem annoyingly specific about wording.

definitely agree with you wjec are so inconsistent on the mark schemes, kinda makes it impossible at times as to how you should word your answers
Original post by JackGriffiths
Hi I'm sitting By5 next week too (and By4 tomorrow O_o) feel unprepared since there is a lack of past papers for by5 :/ anybody have any idea about essays that might come up? I'm kind of hoping for a succession essay.

I'm hoping for more process-based essays (meiosis, genetic engineering, gametogenesis etc.), those kinds of essays tend to be one mark per word or key phrase so are easy to just list the steps in order and get full marks.

WJEC haven't got any resources at all for their exams - and there aren't any decent revision sites either, like there are for OCR...
Did this module last year, I recommend you memorise the WJEC offical revision guide back to front. Without that you're basically in a bad situation, especially with WJEC's track record of ambiguous questioning and marking.
doing this exam and BY4 resit tomorrow as well! i got an A originally in BY4 but it wasn't high enough for an A* so i'm hoping to get much higher marks tomorrow!

Genius! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Reply 16
hi guys, I'm doing this exam monday too. wondered if any of you have any clue on what essays might come up? Im also a bit unsure on what they could possibly ask for an essay on.. I'm hoping for cloning/micropropagation and have seen one on spermatogenesis/pollination but what else might they ask for?
Reply 17
Hate BY5, I can't remember anything and I haven't got motivation to study it properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Does anyone want to help compile a set of essays that could come up? If a few people write like 5 or so each then we could be onto something!:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Rosie321
Does anyone want to help compile a set of essays that could come up? If a few people write like 5 or so each then we could be onto something!:smile:

I would say that likely topics for the essay include;

Transcription and Translation (which would be really good)
Meiosis (this didn't come up last June so it's going to be in the paper somewhere)
Spermatogenesis
Oogenesis
Fertilisation and Implantation (no mention of this last year)
Pollination and gametogenesis in plants
Fertilisation and seed development (no mention of this last year)
Mechanisms that drive evolution and speciation (I hope not)
DNA fingerprinting and PCR
Energy through trophic levels, GPP, NPP
Overfishing etc (Dear God no)

So basically everything :redface:

If I had to pick two I would go for;
Fertilisation and Implantation and
Energy through trophic levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending