The Student Room Group

GEO4B resit June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wild_eyes
Think about the obvious hints they're giving you that they could ask questions on, like 'some people think there may be some links between the trends shown in the two sets of data' (that question is SOOO happening), and then work out how to answer it. For that one, you might need to do some statistical tests and work out a model answer for why temp increase could cause increase in extreme weather, but also reasons why there might not be a link (ie P1 is by an insurance company, so they DEFINITELY have a vested interest in extreme weather 'increasing' - they can raise people's premiums, and they could be including teeny tiny floods because they don't specify what a natural disaster is).

When you say 'links between the trends shown in the two sets of data'... which sets of data are you talking about? Sorry about sounding stupid, this whole paper is really really confusing me!! :frown:
Original post by Farzyy
Im thinking just a bar graph? This allows you too see a trend, e.g. if the years are getting hotter (shown my the bars height increasing through the years) plus with a bar graph you can include years which dont have data and skill create the graph.

I think the first question will be "What graphing technique would you use to present the data in P2"

I would mention the bar graph and how you can see trends. I would also explain how i would create it and what my axis would be. I would also talk about why it is better than another technique (for this try to think of another technique which obviously wouldnt work like a pie graph.)
One final thing I think I would mention is that there is a lot of talk about P1 & P2 being linked, so by drawing a bar graph you could have it the same scale as P1 and in theory you could 'overlay' the two graphs to make looking for similarities or trends easier...

These are just my thoughts, hope they made sense. :smile:

You said that you would create a bar graph and explain how you would do that and what your axis would be.... if you dont mind me asking how exactly would this be / axis names?
Reply 82
International Response - Chinese Government gave USD$ 500,000 to the earthquake appeal
Fund raising events such as 'Fill the basin' - a cricket match including ex NZ internationals raised $500,000

Impacts
10,000 houses to be demolished due to damage
Liquefaction meant many areas of Christchurch could not be built on
Landslides occurred in many suburbs e.g. Sumner area
1/2 of the buildings of over 5 storeys have had to be demolished due to damage
Christchurch hospital was partially evacuated but managed to stay open to treat injured
There were 181 deaths in total with 115 of them happening in the Canterbury TV building!

Infrastructure Response
Army and volunteer groups supplied milk & water
Multiple companies worked day and night to fix electricity and piping and sewage
Over 7,000 portaloo's were brought in
Air New Zealand put on extra flights and flights for $50 one way to other NZ airports for families affected
Reply 83
Original post by alicejackson95
You said that you would create a bar graph and explain how you would do that and what your axis would be.... if you dont mind me asking how exactly would this be / axis names?

I would put the years on the X axis (across the bottom) in chronalogical order including years which are not in the table like 1999 2000 2008 then i would have the Anomoly +C ( the temperatures) along the Y axis going up to 0.7 probably
Reply 84
What do you mean know youre way around the booklet? Just like where different things are? Is there know actual figures and information that I need to learn for it?

Nah its synopticity, the examiners are looking for how well you can analyse pieces of information with a well rounded geographical perspective, i.e bringing all you know from both human and physical sides to answer questions critically.

The general mark scheme for 4b papers can be found on here(page 3&4) - the rest of the pdf is specific to the 2009 4b paper.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-GEOG4B-W-SMS-07.PDF

Just know the AIB inside out and read around Christchurch and Darfield; its impacts, causes and responses. Also read up on the strike fault slip and pattern of earthquakes - whether they are increasing in size and magnitude or not.
Its a relatively chilled exam compared to Unit 3 I'd say, dont fret too much :smile:
Original post by Farzyy
I would put the years on the X axis (across the bottom) in chronalogical order including years which are not in the table like 1999 2000 2008 then i would have the Anomoly +C ( the temperatures) along the Y axis going up to 0.7 probably

Okay! Thankyou ever so much!! :colondollar: Are there any other questions you think may be a possibility of coming up?
Original post by Jiyaad
I did spearmans rank on P1 & P2, they are not linked whatsoever

I just did this as well and I am amazed I actually managed to get it right this time!
Original post by Ellie_May :)
I just did this as well and I am amazed I actually managed to get it right this time!

What is the correlation?? Im sure I got 0.045 which is well below the 95% confidence level and so therefore we can not say that there is a relationship between the 2 variables?
What is the correlation?? Im sure I got 0.045 which is well below the 95% confidence level and so therefore we can not say that there is a relationship between the 2 variables?

I just got 0.075 but I can't say for certain if that is right. It just means that it is closer to 0 so there is a very weak or no correlation between them.
Original post by Ellie_May :)
I just got 0.075 but I can't say for certain if that is right. It just means that it is closer to 0 so there is a very weak or no correlation between them.

Oh noo, why have I got such a random number haha. Ill go with yours instead! Thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 90
Im unsure of how you would calculate Spearmans Rank for P1 & P2 could someone explain :smile:
Could anyone tell me where I would use Chi Squared or Standard Deviation within any answers?
Original post by rosiejohnston
Hi,

I am also doing the christchurch earthquake paper :smile: Does anyone have the zigzag booklet or any possible questions that your teachers think might come up?

Did you manage to think of any possible questions?
Original post by Gary
kinda confused on what http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/ shows and not sure what we are suppose to note from the website... and how it can be asked in a question

Did you manage to find out the answer to this? Im really stuck on what it shows?
Original post by Gary
On the double page spread with figure p3,p4 and p5 at the very end it says draw your own conclusion?

What have you guys said about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you manage to find an aswer on any conclusion about the long term trends?
Reply 95
got -0.15 for p1 - p2

and 0.317 for p3 - p4
Reply 96
I don't think that P2 could be put into a bar graph as both dat sets are continuous, so I would say line graph, having years on the x axis and then the temperature anomaly on the y axis.
Original post by JObertelli
I don't think that P2 could be put into a bar graph as both dat sets are continuous, so I would say line graph, having years on the x axis and then the temperature anomaly on the y axis.

P2 isnt continous - the years are not all there from 1998 - 2009, i thought a scatter graph would be better?
Reply 98
Original post by Gary
got -0.15 for p1 - p2

and 0.317 for p3 - p4

hey im really confused is this the spearman's rank ? how do you work out spearmans rank for p3-p4?
Reply 99
Original post by KHANN
hey im really confused is this the spearman's rank ? how do you work out spearmans rank for p3-p4?

Yeh it is!
Just like any spearmans rank, between the number of earthquakes and the amount of energy released for each year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending