The Student Room Group

AQA Philosophy A2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hmm not entirely sure how that went. Loved the mind questions and reaaallly disliked the religion questions. I think it went okay but I know I lacked illustration and probably evaluation!

Ah well, just Plato to go now!!

If anyone is interested I've made a couple of revision videos on Plato's similes. I'm not sure if I'm going to do more but I might: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNvY9p97fsKC4-OZ5aqFqzPmj8fgo94mh
Reply 241
did anyone do question 8 on moral philosophy...i think i interpreted the question wrongly :frown:...-__________- after all that revision
Reply 242
Original post by elshiexx
did anyone do question 8 on moral philosophy...i think i interpreted the question wrongly :frown:...-__________- after all that revision
I did it was a weirdly worded q I thought! Oh no what do you think you did wrong??
Original post by LordFishlock
Hey guys, would anyone be kind enough to PMAIL me their Phil of Religion notes? And I don't know which other section to do with PHIL3. I am doing Hume for PHIL4 so I would prefer one that compliments him. Would this be Metaphysics/Epistemology or Philosophy of Mind or something else?

still, any help please? or Pmail me if you can, sorry to be a fuss but I need advice on what would be best :smile:
Reply 244
Just to clarify, the question in moral 'assess the view that it is possible to have knowledge of moral truth' was that asking us to debate that even though moral truth exist its impossible or was that asking us to debate whether moral truth exists or not?
Original post by euseangel
Just to clarify, the question in moral 'assess the view that it is possible to have knowledge of moral truth' was that asking us to debate that even though moral truth exist its impossible or was that asking us to debate whether moral truth exists or not?

i interpreted it to mean does moral truth exist or not :smile:
Original post by jool
Not the best it could have been, did the human nature question for political and the moral truth question for morality, I think morality went great but I think the political one could have gone better - not a ridiculous amount of evaluation for the ideologies really in contrast with things like rights and justice.

I also did the human nature question! We were never taught the nation states topic, so it would have been silly to have tried to answer that one :tongue: I thought it was quite a nice question, but as you say it's quite hard to get a lot of evaluation in there, so I'm not sure if my answer was that satisfactory :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
for q8 the moral one on practical issue and how you would use a moral theory. I assessed like how useful utilitarianism, virtue ethics and deontology were for animal ethics. eg. conflicting duties, problems and strengths of their practical apllication. is this the right approach?
Reply 248
Original post by Lingo-Flamingo
I also did the human nature question! We were never taught the nation states topic, so it would have been silly to have tried to answer that one :tongue: I thought it was quite a nice question, but as you say it's quite hard to get a lot of evaluation in there, so I'm not sure if my answer was that satisfactory :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were taught it very briefly but I didn't revise it as I felt like we didn't have enough content to do an essay on it, which is a shame as I like rights - would have preferred a straight rights question. I need an A so I'm a little worried, hopefully it'll be fine though! I can drop to 73% at A2 and still get an A overall as I got 87% at AS.
Reply 249
Original post by kkkassikassi

omg, i interpreted it to me, moral truth exists and it is possible to know what it is, then counted it with that even if moral truth exist it is not possible to know what it is. Im a bit worried now :\
Original post by cplaychris
for q8 the moral one on practical issue and how you would use a moral theory. I assessed like how useful utilitarianism, virtue ethics and deontology were for animal ethics. eg. conflicting duties, problems and strengths of their practical apllication. is this the right approach?

Same, I did Utilitarianism for abortion :smile: because it said one or more, i just focused on one because I find I can go more in depth that way
Original post by jool
We were taught it very briefly but I didn't revise it as I felt like we didn't have enough content to do an essay on it, which is a shame as I like rights - would have preferred a straight rights question. I need an A so I'm a little worried, hopefully it'll be fine though! I can drop to 73% at A2 and still get an A overall as I got 87% at AS.

Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine then! Believe in yourself :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 252
Original post by millie-rose
Same, I did Utilitarianism for abortion :smile: because it said one or more, i just focused on one because I find I can go more in depth that way

I wrote about deontology and abortion but brought in the other two theories to show how the deontological response was either good/bad! I think it worded it to trip us up like asking for one or more but I'd rather go into one in detail !
Reply 253
Original post by kkkassikassi

Precisely, it was essentially a non specific meta-ethics question. If something doesn't exist it obviously can't be known, if it does it's potentially possible. You only had to argue for and against. I went the route of doing all 3 conceptions (God independent transcendental, natural/empirical, relational), then countering each but linking them. It went

-Plato's forms
-Third man argument
-Mill's utility
-Is ought gap
-Relational properties
-Primary and secondary qualities/Emotivism

Again, there are loads of routes you could have gone with this question. They were pretty vague.
Original post by moffintop
I wrote about deontology and abortion but brought in the other two theories to show how the deontological response was either good/bad! I think it worded it to trip us up like asking for one or more but I'd rather go into one in detail !

I know, I found it a very strange question - why would they want some candidates to go into one and others to go into more than one? Oh well, I never attempt to understand the mentality of AQA
What did people write for human nature political philosophy question?

I just mentioned Locke's Hobbes' and Rousseau's concept of the state of nature plus Anarchists' and Feminists' criticism of political authority, along with Marxists'.
Anyone chose poverty as a moral problem?
Original post by Bencant
Love the videos, more would be useful! One thing though, are you sure the captain in the simile of ship ship is the ruler? We've been taught the captain represents the masses while the crew represent politicians?

Hmm... I can see where you're coming from. I think the captain can be seen as either; when you look at it before the crew take over the ship the captain would be the citizens, yes, but afterward it is whomever holds power.
In Athens at the time it was direct democracy so anyone (any 'citizen', that is!) could be a 'politician'... if that makes sense?? So maybe that's why you've been taught it that way? :smile:
Reply 259

I wrote about different types of political athority then i wrote stuff on hobbes and marx, need to be an a community and have set moral values, and marxism and communism :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending