The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hey everyone I am in desperate need of some advice.

I received an email yesterday with the dates of the assessment days for the council which I have applied for. Unfortunately there is no possible way I can attend these dates (I am out of the country). Now I would like to make it clear I have not been offered an invitation to an assessment day.

Now pretend I have been successful I see myself as having one option.
- Ring them up and try and transfer to another council which has an assessment day on a day which I can attend. From the dates people have posted on here I can make most other dates just not the one at my preference council.

Does anyone know how likely it would be that I could change my preference? Obviously other councils have picked their candidates now so it may be that there is no room for in other places. I am not particularly fussy about the council, would prefer north west but there were quite a few options.

Anyone have any other advice assuming I get an invitation? I have been looking at this scheme for 2 years and would hate to miss out purely because of the date.
Original post by AAthert
Hi I have applied for Cheshire west and received an email last Thursday to say I was successful, that there's I'd a first stage assesment on 17th which is a 1 hour written assesment, then if successful there are 4 other dates available for the second stage which is a 45 min interview, a 15 phone role play, a group excersise and self assesment.
I haven't researched percentages of successful applicant etc as I don't want to worry myself lol, but cannot find any further info regarding what to expect from the assesment centres! Any help would be appriciated

Ooh I will be seeing you there...widnes at 9am! I'm getting nervous now are you? Good luck with it! X
Reply 122
Original post by Winstonsone
Ooh I will be seeing you there...widnes at 9am! I'm getting nervous now are you? Good luck with it! X

I'm there 10am... So nervous! :s-smilie::s-smilie: It's just not knowing what to expect x
Original post by Pipheadnat
Heya, congrats on getting through to next stage, I'm still none the wiser! There was an option you could tick to say that if you didn't get accepted at your chosen authority you wouldn't mind other locations considering your application - so I ticked that box as I don't mind moving round the country.

Good luck with York! X

Keep us posted! Hope u hear soon! It's horrible playing the waiting game. Oh I probably did tick that box but can't remember! Hope I did.

This is what it says in my email for the all-in assessment day:
Agenda:
Written exercise
Written analysis
Group exercise with young people
Role play
Formal 1:1 panel ininterview

am I correct in thinking the written exercise is SW topic related aka your views on a matter/ethics etc; written analysis is something along the lines of reflection; role play is telephone conversation and 1:1 interview self explanatory. That's what I've picked up anyway :s probs wrong! Not a clue about group exercise with young people!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!
Original post by creamtea
Has anyone heard from surrey yet? I hate waiting! I just want to know either way!

Haven't heard yet, when I rang yesterday, Penna said they were still scoring applications but we SHOULD hear by the end of the week!
Reply 125
Original post by Hannah652496
Haven't heard yet, when I rang yesterday, Penna said they were still scoring applications but we SHOULD hear by the end of the week!

I was thinking 'at least I will know by Friday!' Now I'm not so sure!
Reply 126
Original post by emmamungavin
I've applied to Westminster too, have you heard anything? I still haven't...this waiting is awful!

Hi I phoned Penna and was told that London had a huge amount of GOOD applications, they have made the first selection of successful candidates to invite to assessment days.
The assessment days start on the 20th June.
We will all hear by the end of the week one way or another.
but I guess it's safe to say that most of the successful applicants have been informed already and invited to assessment centres.
However there is a reserve list so please do not give up.:smile:
I just phoned there to inquire about Westminster and was told that they're still sorting out final numbers and no one has been contacted yet so no need to panic just yet!
Reply 128
I've just received an email and got very excited but its just what dates to keep free in case I do get invited to an assessment centre. I've applied to south east london and the dates aren't until July.
Reply 129
Hi there. I've applied to East Midlands to, for Lincolnshire. I'm thinking they must be taking longer than anticipated. I only know of one other person who has applied to EM and neither of us have heard. Hopefully it won't be much longer. Good luck.
Reply 130
I also just received an e-mail with the assessment centre dates. I rung Penna today and they said they had not received anything from Surrey yet and we would hopefully get it tomorrow, if not then the 17th. The assessment centre dates are 8th,9th,10th and 11th July.

My email seemed to be referring to all the South East Regional Partnership.
Reply 131
Hi does anyone have any idea what the written piece involves? My assessment has a role play, reflective written piece, role play and group exercise with service users. Very very nervous!
Original post by Lousarge
Hi does anyone have any idea what the written piece involves? My assessment has a role play, reflective written piece, role play and group exercise with service users. Very very nervous!

Hi,
don't know if it helps but I posted earlier on ^^^ about what I gather the different assessments are. But that's just me guessing from what previous candidates have mentioned. I would love to know as it would calm my nerves but it is a rule of the forums that specific topic isn't allowed to be discussed :frown:
Just got an email finally to say I've been unsuccesful. Absolutely gutted! Have years of experience working with children and young people, thought I would at least get through the first round. Frustrating that you can't even get feedback!
Yeah me too got my email this eve - unsuccessful, gutted! Good luck to everyone though! All the best! X
So sorry to hear! I would try and ring to get feedback, that way you can always apply for the next intake. If not good luck in what you do!
Also unsuccessful for Westminster -really disappointed as I thought a degree, 3 years experience with children and families plus a postgraduate would be enough to get through. They said in the email that they had a high volume of applications this year. Good luck to others!xx
Reply 137
Original post by emmamungavin
Just got an email finally to say I've been unsuccesful. Absolutely gutted! Have years of experience working with children and young people, thought I would at least get through the first round. Frustrating that you can't even get feedback!

Hi I just saw your email:frown:. Please do not give up, so many more opportunities available and hopefully there is always next year:smile:

I also applied to Westminster and haven't heard yet. I guess today is the deadline.....I actually feel realllllllly scared now :s-smilie:. I will keep you informed
x
Reply 138
sorry to hear about those who didn't get through :frown:

I've had my invite to the assessment centre for greater manchester on 27th, is anyone else going to that?

Mega nervous but excited too. What are other people wearing to the assessment centres? Suited and booted?
Reply 139
Called again (impatient I know) penna have still received noth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending