The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MLogan
Can someone please indicate to me at what stage there are positive and negative feedback mechanisms occuring in the oestrous cycle. Thanks in advance :smile:

1st Negative Feedback: When the levels of oestrogen begin to rise just after the beginning of the cycle. This inhibits the release of FSH.

Positive Feedback: When the levels of oestrogen continue to rise and reach a critical point where oestrogen now stimulates the release of FSH and LH.

2nd Negative Feedback: Happens after ovulation where progesterone inhibits the production of LH and FSH.
Reply 2581
Can someone please help me with question 4b)!!! Mark scheme is quite vague :frown:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
Reply 2582
Original post by James A
1st Negative Feedback: When the levels of oestrogen begin to rise just after the beginning of the cycle. This inhibits the release of FSH.

Positive Feedback: When the levels of oestrogen continue to rise and reach a critical point where oestrogen now stimulates the release of FSH and LH.

2nd Negative Feedback: Happens after ovulation where progesterone inhibits the production of LH and FSH.

Thank you too :smile: You know your stuff pretty well, Well done!
Original post by MLogan
Thanks a lot :biggrin: Would give +rep but finished it :|

no worries! i like my little red bar anyway.. :tongue:
Original post by MLogan
Thank you too :smile: You know your stuff pretty well, Well done!

No worries.

Helping others on here also helps me to remember things too! Sharing info with others makes learning a two way process!
Reply 2585
Please could some one explain to be restriction mapping?? in particular question five on the June 2011 paper!!! pleasee!!
Reply 2586
for an adaptation of a fast twitch muscle fibre for anaerobic respiration, my book says thicker and more numerous myosin filaments. How does that exactly adapt it for this? Thanks for any help!
Original post by dizzy17
for an adaptation of a fast twitch muscle fibre for anaerobic respiration, my book says thicker and more numerous myosin filaments. How does that exactly adapt it for this? Thanks for any help!

Thicker filaments result in stronger contractions.

Stronger contractions are a property of fast twitch fibres.
Original post by SamEastie
no worries! i like my little red bar anyway.. :tongue:

aha getting negged for that.. wow.
Reply 2589
Can someone give me a list of the main synoptic topics for this exam?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2590
Original post by peebs123
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries were for the unit 5 specimen paper on the AQA website? :smile:
Anyone else find that paper really hard?

Did it today, and being honest I thought the actual paper wasn't that bad...

Both essay titles were awful though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I thought in gel electrophoresis the sequence of bases in the original fragment was complementary to the sequence on the gel, because those are the complementary terminator nucleotides that binded to the original sequence. That's what it says on page 269 anyway (Nelson Thornes). But on the on the next page in question 3 the answers just correspond to the sequence on the gel, i.e. they aren't complementary...how do you know which one they are asking for?
Original post by ynm1
Can someone please help me with question 4b)!!! Mark scheme is quite vague :frown:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

follow the story of increasing higher conc. to the critical point of oestrogen causes release of more LH & FSH (hence positive feedback). the key point its the increase in oestrogen that causes increase in LH. increase:increase instead of increase:decrease (Negative feedback)
Reply 2593
can someone PLEASE explain q4aii) and why the answer is B? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
Reply 2594
What are people predicting for the essay titles?
I'm thinking maybe one of them will be on ATP!
Reply 2595
Original post by Anjna
can someone PLEASE explain q4aii) and why the answer is B? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

anyone ? :smile:
Reply 2596
Original post by James A
No worries.

Helping others on here also helps me to remember things too! Sharing info with others makes learning a two way process!

are you only revising those 7 essays we were talking about the other day?
Reply 2597
Original post by _sa
What are people predicting for the essay titles?
I'm thinking maybe one of them will be on ATP!

i bladdy hope so !!
Original post by ahmmm
are you only revising those 7 essays we were talking about the other day?

Sorry to butt in, but where are these seven essays if you don't mind? :biggrin:
Original post by dizzy17

more powerful contractions

Latest

Trending

Trending