The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aWildPidgey
In genetic fingerprinting and PCR (is that all they're used in?)

In electrophoresis and the use of mini satellites as well, yeah I guess for A level we only need to know about single stranded fragments.
Original post by emah123
Did anyone else get a low mark in the June 11?! It was so hard!!!

Without the essay, I got 42 / 75 for the content... Provided my essay was around 9/25 marks I would be able to scrape my grade literally :/ How did you do in June 11?
Reply 4782
Original post by MLogan
hahaha im sure they wouldn't want those essays to come up then :wink: But I would rather get one on inorganic ions and the other on ATP!!

Haha darn! an essay on ATP would be nice, mixed feelings about one on inorganic ions though :/
Original post by aWildPidgey
In genetic fingerprinting and PCR (is that all they're used in?)

Yeah, you'll need to know that DNA are separated into fragments of ssDNA strands.
Original post by Eloades11

Blood cells are large and have no nucleus to allow for maximal oxygen transport. Villi in the gut, white blood cells, many more.

Would it be better to do villi seperately or do epithelial cells which includes microvilli and protein channels
Original post by helpme456
Would it be better to do villi seperately or do epithelial cells which includes microvilli and protein channels

Would be better to cover them separately. You can get small epithelial cells which allow the diffusion of small molecules across them eg the capillaries. And villi who also have a function in the throat/trachea.
Original post by Eloades11
Yeah, you'll need to know that DNA are separated into fragments of ssDNA strands.

Reply 4787
Anybody want me to upload a particular essay plan??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4788
Can someone explain why the answer to q5b is 2 on the june 11 paper http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Cant seem to gigure out how they got 2

thanks
Reply 4789
Original post by lcj0503
Anybody want me to upload a particular essay plan??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Water and inorganic ions if you could :smile:
Reply 4790
whats the difference between pcr and semi conservative replication , other than PCR using fragments and semi conservative replication being the a complete dna strand ? thanks
Reply 4791
Has there been any past paper where DNA technology has not come up?
Did it come up in last year's paper?
Just to check, are there any more main definitions of obscure words we need to know than what I've wrote below? :colondollar:
DNA primer
DNA probe
DNA ligase
DNA promoter
DNA/RNA/ polymerase
siRNA
Restriction endonucleases
Reverse transcriptase
Original post by ropin1
Can someone explain why the answer to q5b is 2 on the june 11 paper http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Cant seem to gigure out how they got 2

thanks

They obtained 3 fragments when BamH1 was added, meaning it had to be cut in 2 places.
Reply 4794
Guys what is a transcriptional factor? I know the process of transcription with the DNA helicase and all but what's a transcriptional factor? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4795
Original post by Hades_M
Water and inorganic ions if you could :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371461640.680078.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1371461655.695696.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
can any one outline the control of blood glucose concentration please
Reply 4797
Original post by feelinginfinite
Just to check, are there any more main definitions of obscure words we need to know than what I've wrote below? :colondollar:
DNA primer
DNA probe
DNA ligase
DNA promoter
DNA/RNA/ polymerase
siRNA
Restriction endonucleases
Reverse transcriptase

what exactly is a dna promoter , does it just promote the region of the dna strand containing the gene that is needed for transcription ?
I hate afternoon exams, I feel like the information is falling out of my head! Lol :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JacobG
whats the difference between pcr and semi conservative replication , other than PCR using fragments and semi conservative replication being the a complete dna strand ? thanks

Semi conservative DNA replication happens inside all living eukaryotic cells. PCR happens only in the labs. PCR uses Taq polymerase and has to regulate through a cycle of different temperatures to separate the strands ect... Whereas replication in cells has DNA helicase and other enzymes/proteins which aid in DNA replication.

Latest

Trending

Trending