The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Some of the bus drivers on my route home from college would wait at a stop when they saw someone running, only to pull off when they reached about halfway down the bus. A bus I wanted to catch also left me behind while I was on crutches, after my friends had gotten on and asked him if he would wait the 30 seconds it would take me to get on. Also, an old woman on that bus screamed at my friends for asking the bus driver to wait, saying he had a schedule to keep to and then when she got off she chatted with him for about a minute before she finally got off. My friends were fuming and put in a complaint for me.
To counter this though, I always used to get the same bus driver in the morning on the way to college, and then the same one again if I had a free first thing and was going in two hours later - he would see me get off one bus and head over the road for the other and would wait for me so I always made his bus. I guess being a beacon of bright blonde hair will have helped that, but he was so lovely everyday for about a year that I slipped him a fiver on my last day.
Reply 41
Original post by indigoheart
i don't know where you are in wales because cardiff bus drivers are largely horrible

I'm in Aberystwyth :tongue:
Same reason as taxi drivers. Driving to a strict timetable, spending your working day crammed in a car seat, is very stressful and tiring.

Also aren't a lot of them ex-cons and stuff like that?
I called the bus driver "Good Sir" and he let me travel for free! :biggrin:

Courtesy goes a long way... or £3.10 better off. I forget which.
Reply 44
Original post by scrotgrot
Same reason as taxi drivers. Driving to a strict timetable, spending your working day crammed in a car seat, is very stressful and tiring.

Also aren't a lot of them ex-cons and stuff like that?

I find taxi drivers worse, though I rarely use taxis so it isn't such an issue. I didn't know they were ex-cons, though. It wouldn't surprise me.
Reply 45
Original post by ConnorB
I called the bus driver "Good Sir" and he let me travel for free! :biggrin:

Courtesy goes a long way... or £3.10 better off. I forget which.

Well, there's normal courtesy, and then there's going way over the top like that :s-smilie: If I called anyone 'Good Sir', I'd sound a right prat, especially with my Essex accent :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by ronki23
The ones in Nottingham are absolute ***** (a curse word, not four stars)

They wait at stops for over 5 minutes when there's clearly nobody coming (and making everybody late in the process) and take their own time to leave.

I complain to Nottingham City Transport and they fob me off saying buses are classed as 'on time' if they're up to 5 minutes late but can also leave 1 minute early. One bus driver took over 3 minutes to leave from our stop and it took us 30 mins for a 25 minute journey.

I live in nottingham too, I HATE this. The timing points are ridiculous, you don't need a timing point on mansfield road where there's buses every 2 minutes and you're right by town anyway, no one gets on at this stop but you're making me late for work/uni in the process!

Bastards. And they don't give change.
Reply 47
Original post by rosee92
I live in nottingham too, I HATE this. The timing points are ridiculous, you don't need a timing point on mansfield road where there's buses every 2 minutes and you're right by town anyway, no one gets on at this stop but you're making me late for work/uni in the process!

Bastards. And they don't give change.

Mansfield rd is the one with Memsaab and 4550 Miles from Delhi? The **** was waiting there for over 8 minutes (over FOUR traffic light changes).

They have a tendency to start reading the newspaper while people are waiting.

The NCT 4s are the worst but the term's over now. NCT 1 is a bit better but the council is so stupid that they use single decker buses during peak times (8.38 [?] and 4.15)

I'm glad I finish in 2 months and that I get it for free (due to living at Clifton Campus of NTU)
Original post by Jabberwox
As someone who has to take the bus quite frequently, this is an issue which has been bugging me recently. I find bus drivers incredibly rude. I understand that they have a lot to deal with and a timetable to stick to, but most bus drivers lack simple courtesy such as a simple 'Thank you' and 'Goodbye'.

Recently I had a bus driver shake his fist at me for no reason when I raised my hand as he stopped the bus. Once I sat down, I noticed he'd printed out a Single ticket instead of the Return I had asked for. I decided to wait until we'd stopped in town before I told him about the error, so I didn't disturb him from driving. When I told him, he shouted "WHY DO YOU TELL ME NOW AND NOT BEFORE?" There was a definite language barrier, but I don't understand why he had to shout and get so angry over something which was his error in the first place :s-smilie:

Most bus drivers I've witnessed are so horrible to other people, especially the elderly. I've seen people ask them brief questions and they get incredibly impatient and rude. I saw one old woman with about 10 shopping bags ask the driver if he could just wait a little until she found her ticket in her bag, and he shouted at her that he couldn't wait and for her to get off, so she had to get off and wait even longer.

What I have found interesting, is that I go to a university in Wales and the bus drivers there are so different to how they are back here in England. They say hello, thank you and goodbye and are a lot nicer and more polite. I know these are only little things but I really don't understand why bus drivers over here seem so angry and irritable. Why go for the job in the first place if you're aware that it will demanding and tiring and you'll be dealing with a lot of people?

Has anyone else had bad experiences with bus drivers?

Not as bad as most airport security!
Reply 49
I have no idea but once, a bus driver closed the door on my leg and started driving. I literally had to hop for a bit until she realised and opened the door for me. She even had the audacity to blame me for it. Stupid lady.
Original post by James A
Well when you mean 'England', you need to be more specific.

Its the place East of Wales, south of Scotland. Cocked up big time in a recent rugby tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England
I think I would be exactly the same if I were a bus driver for years. I cannot imagine how unfulfilled and depressing life must be to complete the same circuit in a bus over and over again, full-time, as your career. It would be difficult to get up in the morning let alone be cheerful and helpful. Sure, they chose the job but it doesn't mean they have to be happy about it. I agree they are miserable bastards but I think it's justified.
Why are some people acting as if bus drivers are their personal chauffers? They're there to drive the bus and get you to where you want to go. The people complaining about bus drivers not waiting for them to look through ten bags to find their money or 'speeding off before they could sit down' are the same people who will moan endlessly if their bus is late even by a minute.
Original post by Jabberwox

What I have found interesting, is that I go to a university in Wales and the bus drivers there are so different to how they are back here in England. They say hello, thank you and goodbye and are a lot nicer and more polite. I know these are only little things but I really don't understand why bus drivers over here seem so angry and irritable. Why go for the job in the first place if you're aware that it will demanding and tiring and you'll be dealing with a lot of people?

Has anyone else had bad experiences with bus drivers?

I had a bad experience with a bus driver in Wales! Not really them being mean but everything added up. I was trying to get to an interview for medicine at Cardiff. My train had been cancelled and then the second one delayed due to a landslip. I don't know Cardiff at all so I was worried I wouldn't find the bus stop. Found it, then the bus that I thought was mine pulled up and I asked the bus driver if the bus went to the hospital. He said no and then started chatting to some guy while I stood there confused. After a few minutes of conversation, he turned to me and said 'are you getting on then?'. When I said 'But I thought the bus wasn't going to the hospital?' he was like 'No, it is'

I completely blame him for the nosebleed I then had during the bus ride :tongue:
Original post by James A
Most are, however some.... on the other hand, will shut the door purposely on you!

That's why I never run for the bus man, it's peak when you get aired by the driver, then people laugh at you inside :frown:

Lol this.

I just play it off like I was just jogging.
Reply 55
Nothing better than watching a fat bald bus driver stop off for a fag like his day has been so stressful, driving and sitting on his ass all day. Sooo funny. Good thread OP, love these stereotypes they are hilarious. Just like Jeremy Clarkson's attack on Lorry drivers linking hoes on their travels. I think Sam Allardyce has a good truck driver face.
Reply 56
Once I and few other people rose their hands for a bus to stop but the driver just drove past even though the bus wasn't full but just because there was a queue of few buses at a stop and he was lazy to wait.. So, we had to wait for ~5 minutes for another bus. Or driving fast and then all of sudden stopping so that standing passengers nearly fly in the bus..
Reply 57
Original post by ronki23

They wait at stops for over 5 minutes when there's clearly nobody coming (and making everybody late in the process) and take their own time to leave.

Ha! The bus drivers used to do that when I was at uni- they knew we all wanted to get to the 9 o'clock lecture and they'd just sit there for 5-10 minutes extra just to piss everyone off.

Original post by advice_guru
Poor pay + Long Hours + Cramped Conditions = Angry Bus Driver.

You forgot, + at the chalk-face of customer service.

Anyone who deals with the general public eventually goes insane.
I rarely have trouble with bus drivers, if I do it's usually for understandable things, like one man telling us we couldn't get on with our ice creams (they were in tubs and it was getting late and my friend's mum is a worrier so we begged him to let us on), which I guess is because he has trouble with people making his bus messy so I understood his reasoning. To be honest, having seen some of the ****s from school and how they act on buses, I can't say I blame them. I don't remember any bus driver being rude to me for anything. Although I nearly missed my train the other day because the driver decided to have a nice long stop and a chat halfway through. Stress levels at an ultimate high as I'm printing tickets home at 16.56 for a 16.57 train.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Customer service isn't a big thing with bus companies. People will still use the bus whether or not they got a smile from the driver.

Latest