The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
well, going into this one having done no revision whatsoever due to the fact i had proper A levels... :tongue:

Did one paper and got 73, so i'm hoping i should be getting a Merit at the very least. Will so forget something useful in the exam. I'm 100% sure of it.

Good Luck everyone, i'm sure you'll all do fine!
Original post by MathsNerd1
Why would you say that? I'm not going to be happy tomorrow if I see some horrid vectors question in either AEA or STEP, you've probably jinxed it now but hopefully we can still get past them without too much frustration :tongue: Good luck for tomorrow and I look forward discussing your answers at the end, hopefully to both be attending Warwick in October :biggrin:

:colone:.

Yeah, it's going to be difficult waiting until midnight though :s-smilie:. I guess one of the good things about STEP is that you can be fairly sure how well you've done (or badly in my case :tongue:). But yeah, if a vectors question comes up, I won't be expecting much. And STEP could either go very well or very badly depending on what questions come up.

And thanks, good luck for you tomorrow as well, have a fun 6 hours :biggrin:.
Reply 102
Original post by yl95
It's scary knowing the fact I'll either be crying tears of joy or tears of...well, disappointment tomorrow at the end of the day. ;(
At least I don't have to sit the exams in a big hall and it's just me in the room. The fact that I finish tomorrow is a nice thought.

That's not relaxing! Relax, hopefully it'll be fine.

Original post by mathsman77
I'll see you all midnight tomorrow :colone:

Is that when we can discuss? I thought it would be the same as STEP rules? All I know is I'll be stating over and over how much I failed the exam, like completely failed it :redface:

Original post by Llewellyn

Llewellyn, please confirm the official time discussion can start
Original post by brittanna

Yeah, it's going to be difficult waiting until midnight though :s-smilie:. I guess one of the good things about STEP is that you can be fairly sure how well you've done (or badly in my case :tongue:). But yeah, if a vectors question comes up, I won't be expecting much. And STEP could either go very well or very badly depending on what questions come up.

That's true and well STEP will be a flop for me and any vector question will be staying well away from my eyes tomorrow :tongue: I really do hope some decent questions come up that I can actually do well in, otherwise it'll be pointless me sitting the exam :redface: And thanks, best of luck to you for your lovely 6 hours of Maths tomorrow too :biggrin:
Does anyone know the pass rates for AEA? I only want a merit, but I've heard most years more than 50% get a U. Quite daunting to think that so many people can fail
Original post by mathsman77
I'll see you all midnight tomorrow :colone:

Is that when we can discuss? I thought it would be the same as STEP rules? All I know is I'll be stating over and over how much I failed the exam, like completely failed it :redface:

Why would you say that? I'm not going to be happy tomorrow if I see some horrid vectors question in either AEA or STEP, you've probably jinxed it now but hopefully we can still get past them without too much frustration :tongue: Good luck for tomorrow and I look forward discussing your answers at the end, hopefully to both be attending Warwick in October :biggrin:

Original post by shamika
That's not relaxing! Relax, hopefully it'll be fine.

Llewellyn, please confirm the official time discussion can start

That's true and well STEP will be a flop for me and any vector question will be staying well away from my eyes tomorrow :tongue: I really do hope some decent questions come up that I can actually do well in, otherwise it'll be pointless me sitting the exam :redface: And thanks, best of luck to you for your lovely 6 hours of Maths tomorrow too :biggrin:
:wavey:

Hi guys. I can confirm that the Maths AEA is treated in line with other Edexcel exams, meaning that you'll be fine to discuss it from midnight tomorrow evening. The will only change if we receive a specific request from Edexcel, which we haven't yet done and I don't expect us to. If we're do, we'll be sure to make it very clear with announcements. :smile:

Good luck to all! Try not to worry too much about the exam, AEA doesn't tend to be as bad as it might sound - it's certainly much more approachable than STEP tends to be. :yep:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by outsider95
Does anyone know the pass rates for AEA? I only want a merit, but I've heard most years more than 50% get a U. Quite daunting to think that so many people can fail
I am unsure of the percentages - they may well vary. But I think generally 50/100 is a merit and 70/100 is a distinction. The boundaries don't tend to vary by more than 5-ish marks.

I think Edexcel take the policy of trying to make the papers of a constant standard, and making a point of fixing the grade boundaries as much as they can rather than moving around the grade boundaries so that 60% pass or something.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/aea/9801/Pages/default.aspx
Original post by outsider95

In June 2012, 54% got a Merit or better, and 24% of people got a distinction.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Documents/June%202012%20(Provisional)%20Advanced%20Extension%20Awards.pdf

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/aea-statistics.aspx

Unless I'm reading the table wrong, it seems as though the proportion of people that passed in 2011 was even less: 42% got a merit or better and 15% got a distinction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
I am unsure of the percentages - they may well vary. But I think generally 50/100 is a merit and 70/100 is a distinction. The boundaries don't tend to vary by more than 5-ish marks.

I think Edexcel take the policy of trying to make the papers of a constant standard, and making a point of fixing the grade boundaries as much as they can rather than moving around the grade boundaries so that 60% pass or something.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/aea/9801/Pages/default.aspx

In June 2012, 54% got a Merit or better, and 24% of people got a distinction.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Documents/June%202012%20(Provisional)%20Advanced%20Extension%20Awards.pdf

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/aea-statistics.aspx

Unless I'm reading the table wrong, it seems as though the proportion of people that passed in 2011 was even less: 42% got a merit or better and 15% got a distinction.

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully we can all pass and talk positively about it come midnight tomorrow :smile:
How did everyone find the paper?
Kicking myself. RELATIVELY easy paper so I suspect the candidates more intelligent and rehearsed than me will have found it easy. Not happy with my performance, though.

I doubt I'll even get half the marks :redface: How about you?
Reply 112

Same.
I was super tired in the afternoon.
and I couldn't concentrate properly
The amount of questions I didn't answer...
Bloody hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M2k13
Same.
I was super tired in the afternoon.
and I couldn't concentrate properly
The amount of questions I didn't answer...
Bloody hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this one first :redface: I'm certain I didn't answer 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 :redface: Completely that is :-/
I did this one first :redface: I'm certain I didn't answer 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 :redface: Completely that is :-/

Really?!?!? You?!?!?
BTW, for the last question, M was less than 5/16 but greater than -5/16. Messed that up. I'm fuming.
Original post by Victor Victus
Really?!?!? You?!?!?

I was never going to do that well in this one and some of the questions were just confusing in how I read them I believe, oh well cause I also had STEP to try out as well :tongue:

When I was doing the paper I thought it was fairly difficult compared to lots of the past papers ... and I still do. Maybe it's just because it's the paper I actually did, but I think I struggled more with this one than others, although other people seem to think it wasn't too bad so i'm probably just trying to make myself fell better :colondollar:.

I think I've done okay. I don't think I've got any whole questions completely wrong, but I will have got a lot of the 1 and 2 mark questions wrong, which will all add up. Hopefully I will still be above the distinction. I kind of need to be as I'm not sure if I will have done well enough in another exam I took today to try and meet my offer (this is me trying not to be very specific :tongue:).

How'd you find it?
Original post by Victor Victus
BTW, for the last question, M was less than 5/16 but greater than -5/16. Messed that up. I'm fuming.

I got that wrong then :s-smilie:. I think I got 15/48 for one of them and another value (it may have been 5/16).(I can't remember which one was positive and which was negative).

Edit: Just realised 15/48 simplifies to 5/16 :facepalm2:.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending