The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TH3-FL45H
Tomic wins too!

Aye. If he plays with the forehands he did in the tiebreak he could pose a very real danger.

That said, so far this year he's now scalped the number 1 and 9 so pretty good.
Reply 4441
Original post by KingMessi
My TV seems to be behind. :erm:

:biggrin: I don't know how but I'm actually watching on the BBC website.

Also in regards to your other question. It's difficult to predict because Laura is so inconsistent and her results coming to Wimbledon have been so poor and she's also been losing to lower ranked players. However the thing that seems to have been troubling a lot was her serve and she seems to have got it together at Wimbledon. I think she could win the 4th round definitely
Gutted for Gasquet but I can accept that Tomic played a very impressive match and there wasn't a lot he could do.

Elsewhere Anderson is fighting back and Delpo has won set number 1.
Original post by KingMessi
I thought so, even if I feared for her a little when she got broken back. She didn't play well, but it's still very pleasing to see her get through and overall it wasn't a bad performance - at least, I don't think so.

Do you think that's a possibility?

Yeah, I got them on Monday and if you try you'll get them, just have to be quick! Was great seeing Federer win so comfortably :frown:
great turnaround by Laura :woo:
What is it with people in this country slating anyone who is British and plays sport?

Erakovic was my favourite for the match beforehand. She has been playing great this year. Robson on the other hand is only 19, she is going to be inconsistent and her performances so far this year have been the definition of inconsistent. Lots of first round losses to no hopers, then a very good 1st round win here.

No need to slate her though and say say she only won because of her opponent messing up. Robson messed up in the first place (primarily her serving today wasn't par, even with her struggles with it, and recent action changes). If Robson had been serving as she can, and hitting her forehand like she can, Erakovic wouldn't have stood a chance.

Robson can beat Riske or Kanepi comfortably if she plays well, and she could get beaten if she doesn't. Because they are both ranked below Robson (partly due to Robson's huge point haul at US Open) the BBC will say she's favourite. She's not, it will be close and will go to whoever plays better on the day. I hope Riske beats Kanepi though. I would fancy Kanepi to ease past Robson.
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone reckon Robson can beat Serena and go on to reach the final?

:ninja:

:getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayles101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 4448
Original post by hayles101

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jester: Thanks I needed that laugh
Original post by accountant-future
Few have took that the wrong way
I meant that if Erakovic didn't let her performance drop, she'd have won it in straight sets - if Robson lets a better standard of opponent (Williams in QF) get that free first set then she's in trouble
That's all I'm saying, not trying to belittle her comeback in any way

But why does that mean Robson's lucky to win? They both had one good set, one bad set, and one average set. Just because Erakovic had her good set first then declined doesn't mean she was unlucky to lose - she just couldn't sustain her performance for the whole match, and that's her fault.
As if Berdych made a comeback from being 5-2 down to winning the set 7-5, to win the match!
Does anyone else get confused between Tomas Berdych and Bernard Tomic? :colonhash:
Reply 4452
Dying to watch Djokovic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by manchesterunited15
Does anyone else get confused between Tomas Berdych and Bernard Tomic? :colonhash:

I don't
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I don't

I can obviously tell the difference it's just they have such similar names
Reply 4455
Original post by one2three_abc
What is it with people in this country slating anyone who is British and plays sport?

Erakovic was my favourite for the match beforehand. She has been playing great this year. Robson on the other hand is only 19, she is going to be inconsistent and her performances so far this year have been the definition of inconsistent. Lots of first round losses to no hopers, then a very good 1st round win here.

No need to slate her though and say say she only won because of her opponent messing up. Robson messed up in the first place (primarily her serving today wasn't par, even with her struggles with it, and recent action changes). If Robson had been serving as she can, and hitting her forehand like she can, Erakovic wouldn't have stood a chance.

Robson can beat Riske or Kanepi comfortably if she plays well, and she could get beaten if she doesn't. Because they are both ranked below Robson (partly due to Robson's huge point haul at US Open) the BBC will say she's favourite. She's not, it will be close and will go to whoever plays better on the day. I hope Riske beats Kanepi though. I would fancy Kanepi to ease past Robson.

Because British fans and commentators especially over hype their players. The fact that I live in Britain I have to watch tennis on BBC or sky sports, which means I have to listen to biased British commentary about how great Murray or Robson are. They are great players, but nowhere near the best and probably never will be especially in Murray's case.

And your comment about how 'Erakovic wouldn't have stood a chance, had Robson been serving well and hitting her forehand like she can' just shows your arrogance and biased attitude. Erakovic has achieved more than Laura has so far in her career and Robson couldn't get close to her serve in the 1st set. The only reason Robson came through in the end was a result of Erakovic choking whilst serving for the match and double faulting, hence the reason why Robson was able to break her so many times in the 3rd set. When Erakovic only made 1 UE in the 1st set, Robson barely manged a game, so your comment is totally BS.
Original post by manchesterunited15
I can obviously tell the difference it's just they have such similar names

Ohhhhhhhh :facepalm: I thought you meant they look similar.
Is it wrong to be supporting an Aussie and a Scot? :holmes:
Original post by Roger1
Because British fans and commentators especially over hype their players. The fact that I live in Britain I have to watch tennis on BBC or sky sports, which means I have to listen to biased British commentary about how great Murray or Robson are. They are great players, but nowhere near the best and probably never will be especially in Murray's case.

And your comment about how 'Erakovic wouldn't have stood a chance, had Robson been serving well and hitting her forehand like she can' just shows your arrogance and biased attitude. Erakovic has achieved more than Laura has so far in her career and Robson couldn't get close to her serve in the 1st set. The only reason Robson came through in the end was a result of Erakovic choking whilst serving for the match and double faulting, hence the reason why Robson was able to break her so many times in the 3rd set. When Erakovic only made 1 UE in the 1st set, Robson barely manged a game, so your comment is totally BS.

I'm not going to get involved in what could end up a long winded circular debate other than to say that i could not agree with you more. In-fact i'm pretty sure in football that the reason i dislike England is precisely because the blatant bias and fanaticism is actually off putting.
Original post by little_wizard123
Is it wrong to be supporting an Aussie and a Scot? :holmes:

No. You should support who you enjoy watching, not who society believes you should support. You are an individual, this is not a communist enclave.

Latest