The Student Room Group

If you had to kill the animals yourself, would you still eat meat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yes, i've got to eat somehow
Reply 21
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'd much prefer to kill my own meat than go to a supermarket, I'd have no problem holding a squealing pig down and cutting it's throat or chopping a snake's head off, seen it done a few times on survival programs and it looks fun, I've seen Kill It, Cook it, Eat It and it didn't really have any effect on me either, so I'm pretty certain I could kill an animal.

A lot of people probably would stop eating meat if they had to kill it themselves though.

Never heard someone describe killing an animal as "fun"..
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'd much prefer to kill my own meat than go to a supermarket, I'd have no problem holding a squealing pig down and cutting it's throat

Just for other peoples information - this isnt the way you kill a pig in an abbatoir :tongue:

Having killed multiple chickens, I wouldnt call it fun though...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I'm not hinting at that at all. I have family members in eastern Europe that still kill their own animals. I'm simply curious to see how many people would actually do it.

You totally are hinting that [humanity should be repelled by killing animals] though, in post #13, which wasn't there when I started writing my post.

It's one thing saying it and another doing it. To hold down a squealing pig and kill it is not something many people could do, believe me.

I'm sure that quite a few people saying "yes" on this thread could actually not bring themselves to do it if they were in that situation. And I'm not trying to big myself up, because I certainly couldn't (apart from small fish as I said)

Like I said, the only reason why people have no experience killing their own food is because of supermarkets. It probably is pretty daunting to do it for the very first time.

But if there were no supermarkets and that would be the only way to get your meat, then you'd get pretty handy at it pretty quickly, and once you have the first few out of the way, you wouldn't give the rest a second thought.

Just like sex, many people are nervous about losing their virginity, but once the first few times are out of the way, they can't get enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Never heard someone describe killing an animal as "fun"..

It'd be fun to hunt and kill my own meat. Why would it not be fun? It's something I've always wanted to do anyway.

I am an animal lover btw.
Let's say if farming completely stopped and pre-killed/pre-packaged meat and fish was no longer available, and instead you had to buy live animals and fish and kill them yourself... would you bring yourself to do it?

I'm pescetarian and I personally think I would be able to kill small fish, like sardines, but not large ones like tuna.

What about you? Just curious.

No because I'm a coward.
It's not exactly easy to turn a cow into a steak... there's a reason butchers undergo training.

Hence why I used the word 'if'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nopenopenope
You don't have to do that though, you could easily shoot it or something instead.

She's almost as irritating as Tyrion, isn't she?
Reply 28
Sure.
Reply 29
Original post by marcusfox
You totally are hinting that [humanity should be repelled by killing animals] though, in post #13, which wasn't there when I started writing my post.

Like I said, the only reason why people have no experience killing their own food is because of supermarkets. It probably is pretty daunting to do it for the very first time.

But if there were no supermarkets and that would be the only way to get your meat, then you'd get pretty handy at it pretty quickly, and once you have the first few out of the way, you wouldn't give the rest a second thought.

Just like sex, many people are nervous about losing their virginity, but once the first few times are out of the way, they can't get enough.

Alright... fair enough, it probably would get easier after the first time. But how many people do you think would actually do it the first time? I've asked some of my friends this question irl in the past and not many of them said they would. Only a couple who were raised on farms and have seen it first hand said they actually would.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's one thing saying it and another doing it. To hold down a squealing pig and kill it is not something many people could do, believe me.

Loool, and how do you think people coped before pre-packaged meat? Do you think cavemen looked into the eyes of wild boars and were so overcome by empathy they immediately dropped their flint knives? They probably didn't because that's probably historically inaccurate, but the point stands.
Reply 31
Original post by yepyepyep

Had your fun ganging up against Tyrion, now it's my turn huh?
Reply 32
Loool, and how do you think people coped before pre-packaged meat? Do you think cavemen looked into the eyes of wild boars and were so overcome by empathy they immediately dropped their flint knives? They probably didn't because that's probably historically inaccurate, but the point stands.

The difference being that cavemen's predecessors didn't have supermarkets. They weren't brought up with meat handed to them, quite literally, on a plate. They learnt to kill animals from young ages because it was the only option.
Had your fun ganging up against Tyrion, now it's my turn huh?

...'ganging up'.
:rofl:
Erm I've never taken part in 'ganging up' against anyone. Bless you child.
No I dont think i would
The difference being that cavemen's predecessors didn't have supermarkets. They weren't brought up with meat handed to them, quite literally, on a plate. They learnt to kill animals from young ages because it was the only option.

Yes but if pre-packaged meat was no longer sold, killing animals would be the only option again, and things would return to how they were.
No, I personally couldn't bring myself to do it tbh.
Alright... fair enough, it probably would get easier after the first time. But how many people do you think would actually do it the first time? I've asked some of my friends this question irl in the past and not many of them said they would. Only a couple who were raised on farms and have seen it first hand said they actually would.

It depends on the arbitrary moral line you have set yourself, and are trying to project as being at a level appropriate for the rest of society. You obviously have set the line at eating fish and not other animals for a reason, and the most common one pescetarians use to make that decision is the value judgement is that fish are somehow OK to kill but higher lifeforms (such as pigs, sheep and cows) aren't.

You have decided that you are fine with eating fish, so have told yourself that if you couldn't get fish from a supermarket, you'd be fine with going out and getting your own.

Millions of vegetarians and vegans the world over would be horrified.

Realistically speaking there isn't that much difference between clubbing a fish to death and sticking a knife in a pig - it's just that fish don't have cute little faces.
(edited 10 years ago)

Holy sheet, your posts get funnier every day hahaha. Peeing myself over here.

You've answered your own thread here m8, if we had to kill things ourselves again, we all would.
Original post by nopenopenope
Holy sheet, your posts get funnier every day hahaha. Peeing myself over here.

Oh you.:daydreaming:

Quick Reply

Latest