The Student Room Group

What do you think the UK will be like in 50 years time??

Title says it all

refer to ethnic and religious demographics
international relations
political situation
etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andyrobbo1994
Title says it all

international relations
political situation
etc

Have you ever read 1984? Like that but with more cameras. Privacy will be a thing of the past. The police can arrest you over silly things. A few years ago they brought an act called section 5 public order act, this act enables police to arrest you for saying anything they don't like.

A person is guilty of this offence if he
a) uses threatening, abusive words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour,
b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening abusive or insulting within the hearing or sight or person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

This is very vague and it's taking away your freedom of speech. A while ago this Christian preacher was arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin. I don't believe it's a sin, but this is just an example we are not able to express our views anymore without the fear of getting arrested.

Not only that, the government is making it harder on people to afford the cost of living, with housing prices going up and food prices. It's becoming increasingly difficult to afford things. I think eventually, there will be no more full time jobs, companies will be using more part time jobs because they cost less. Or people could be forced to work more for lower pay.
Reply 2
Original post by Andyrobbo1994
Title says it all

international relations
political situation
etc

There won't be a UK in 50 years time, there will be Eurasia. Democracy and freedom will be consigned to history.
Reply 3
I don't know but one thing's for sure, there won't be any hovercrafts.

They've been promising us hovercrafts for decades :dry:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SkinnyKat
I don't know but one thing's for sure, there won't be any hovercrafts.

They've been promising us hovercrafts for decades :dry:

Noo! I want my back to the future hoverboard.:frown:
Yes all the foreigners will be running wild
the country will be run down and look no better than a ghetto
human will be hunting and eating each other!
prostitution will be all the rage
I reckon hotter, and with worse insects/spiders/other bugs or tropical species.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch

And that would be a bad thing? I like abroad weather when it's nice. Better than rain.
Reply 8

The UK is going to turn into Australia? :colone:
Original post by freedomtocreate
And that would be a bad thing? I like abroad weather when it's nice. Better than rain.

yeah but giant centipedes ever infiltrate our borders I'm gone

Maybe we will have kangaroo's aswell. :colone:
yeah but giant centipedes ever infiltrate our borders I'm gone

I will be joining you. Huge insects is a no go for me.

well spiders and stuff sneak across on fruit shipments from distant places all the time, and the only thing stopping them getting established is the harsh winters. It's not that hard to imagine it warming up enough for that to happen. Then there's exotic pets that do a runner etc.
Reply 13
no more tigers in the zoo by then
Reply 14
the wild card is always technology so its impossible to predict the future. but, if you look at history, its pretty hard to see britain escaping from the ethnic and religious conflict which blights much of the rest of the world.

i am immigrant stock myself and unfortunately the british people have no clue about the troubles 'diversity' brings to a nation. they have known peace for far too long and their memories are short. they have magical thinking on the issue of 'diversity' somehow thinking it makes them stronger. ( my friends and family fled ethnic war zones )
(edited 10 years ago)
well spiders and stuff sneak across on fruit shipments from distant places all the time, and the only thing stopping them getting established is the harsh winters. It's not that hard to imagine it warming up enough for that to happen. Then there's exotic pets that do a runner etc.

Well, that's one type of immigration I'm against :nooo:

But I do like dem kangaroos.
Reply 16
A Tory free zone :frown:
By that time Apple will have bought several countries and established itself as the new global superpower. The rest of the world will be firmly under Apple's control as the threat that people's iPhones start sarcastically answering back is enough to quell any sortof rebellion. On the bright side, the dystopian nightmare won't be noticed as live football will be streamed directly into people's brains during all designated leisure times.
Well, that's one type of immigration I'm against :nooo:

But I do like dem kangaroos.

And don't forget about Koala's, they are from Australia too
Original post by meenu89
A Tory free zone :frown:

I'm with you there mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending