The Student Room Group

Bowling double date... I don't own jeans?!

Okay so my friend is kind of setting me up with someone I haven't met :/
The only reason I said okay was because ever since she's been in a relationship it's been hard to spend any time with her. I've only been single for two and a half weeks so I'm not really sure I want to start dating. At the same time I don't want to give off the wrong impression just in case he turns out to be as nice as she says he is. I

have no idea what you wear to a bowling double date apart from jeans... I'm really short but with big hip bones so skinny jeans (which is the only type of jeans the petite sections seem to do) don't suit me. Hence I haven't worn jeans for about five years. I have one pair of jeggings (that look like jeans) that my mum brought me, but I look about 10 pounds heavier than I am in them. If I went bowling with the girls I'd just wear shorts and tights, because I wouldn't have any worries about them staring at my bum/ looking trashy. But I know first impressions count, and shorts don't really scream 'take home to mum' material do they? So what do you all think? Is it better to look a bit chunky or wear shorts? Are there any other options I haven't thought of? Oh and I haven't actually been bowling in a couple of years, on a sat night how casual is it? Like would a sparkly/ nice top be OTT? x
I don't know why shorts and tights would be trashy so long as the shorts cover your bum. Wear a nice top with it and don't go with messy hair or makeup (that will make you look more put-together). Either way, if someone judges you for not wearing jeans, it's really not worth your effort.
Reply 2
Why don't you just wear a skirt or dress with tights? :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by canadamoose
I don't know why shorts and tights would be trashy so long as the shorts cover your bum. Wear a nice top with it and don't go with messy hair or makeup (that will make you look more put-together). Either way, if someone judges you for not wearing jeans, it's really not worth your effort.

Thank you :smile: This is good advice!
Reply 4
Original post by LinzyLoo
Why don't you just wear a skirt or dress with tights? :confused:

Cause you bend over when you're bowling! :/
Reply 5
I'd wear shorts and tights, it doesn't look trashy, I think it looks super cute and it's so versatile :smile:. Definitely a staple in my life :').

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shorts with tights? Or a sundress, as it is Summer. :smile:

Either way, you are probably overthinking it.
If you have only been single for 2 and a half weeks, I'd just go to enjoy the date in a relaxed way and more as friends, rather than have to worry about what people think about you.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

Not if you're doing it right! You bend down, not OVER, so your bum wouldn't be exposed, and you could wear a decent-length one anyway. I wear skirts bowling all the time. If you'd prefer shorts though then I think they look fine with tights too, especially with a longer top or a nice floaty one :smile:

You lower your body but you don't actually bend over, if you're doing that you're not positioning yourself correctly. A dress with leggings/tights would be fine as long as it's a reasonable length.
Reply 9

All the more reason for him to continue dating you!

You don't bend over when bowling, though. You might slouch a bit / crouch down somewhat, but it's not bending over. Don't worry.
Reply 10
Original post by LinzyLoo
Not if you're doing it right! You bend down, not OVER, so your bum wouldn't be exposed, and you could wear a decent-length one anyway. I wear skirts bowling all the time. If you'd prefer shorts though then I think they look fine with tights too, especially with a longer top or a nice floaty one :smile:

Original post by SpicyStrawberry
You lower your body but you don't actually bend over, if you're doing that you're not positioning yourself correctly. A dress with leggings/tights would be fine as long as it's a reasonable length.

I'm really short, so in proportion to my high short stuff looks best - longer lengths swamp me unless it's a maxi but if I don't wear with some heel I trip over. Knee length stuff only with heels or wedges. So I'm still thinking skirts/shorts = not a good idea! Although yeah maybe would work with leggings, I hadn't thought of that! I've decided to go with shorts and a peplum top, keeping it classy with a high neckline :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending