The Student Room Group

Average AS resuts- what to drop now?

So yesterday I got my results- AABCC in maths, biology, physics, french and chemistry, respectively.

I was predicted AABAC, and my school set me target grades of AAAAB, I think because my GCSEs from my previous school were really good [7.5 A*s, 2 As, 0.5 B].

In January I got ABCD in maths, biology, chemistry and physics, and a B in a French mock. I wasn't allowed to resit the C in chemistry because it was two UMS from a B, but I took the D up to a B in physics :smile:

For summer I'd hoped for AABAB, and because I'm only two UMS from the B in chemistry I'm ok with that, but I can't believe how poorly I performed in French! It's the subject I find easiest, so I guess I got complacent :frown:

All along I was going to drop biology because it's just got so boring since we started with the A2 curriculum, but I can see that I could be in with a chance of an A* next year, even though I'll want to kill myself throughout...

Maybe I should instead drop chemistry, even though it's great, because I've just been solidly hitting a high C all year, which is disappointing really.

At university I want to do Mechanical Engineering, possibly with French or management, depending on the uni. At Sheffield, my favourite so far, I'll need AAA for that- do you think they'd let me in with A*ABB? I do lots of extra-curricular but nothing hugely engineering-related.

Sorry for the long post! x
Reply 1
Original post by Zoe_Marie
So yesterday I got my results- AABCC in maths, biology, physics, french and chemistry, respectively.

I was predicted AABAC, and my school set me target grades of AAAAB, I think because my GCSEs from my previous school were really good [7.5 A*s, 2 As, 0.5 B].

In January I got ABCD in maths, biology, chemistry and physics, and a B in a French mock. I wasn't allowed to resit the C in chemistry because it was two UMS from a B, but I took the D up to a B in physics :smile:

For summer I'd hoped for AABAB, and because I'm only two UMS from the B in chemistry I'm ok with that, but I can't believe how poorly I performed in French! It's the subject I find easiest, so I guess I got complacent :frown:

All along I was going to drop biology because it's just got so boring since we started with the A2 curriculum, but I can see that I could be in with a chance of an A* next year, even though I'll want to kill myself throughout...

Maybe I should instead drop chemistry, even though it's great, because I've just been solidly hitting a high C all year, which is disappointing really.

At university I want to do Mechanical Engineering, possibly with French or management, depending on the uni. At Sheffield, my favourite so far, I'll need AAA for that- do you think they'd let me in with A*ABB? I do lots of extra-curricular but nothing hugely engineering-related.

Sorry for the long post! x

For mech eng, you can most likely get away without chemistry.
If the A* were in maths or physics they might let you in with that due to course relevance, but I can't speak for Sheffield, you're probably better off emailing an admissions tutor. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
For mech eng, you can most likely get away without chemistry.
If the A* were in maths or physics they might let you in with that due to course relevance, but I can't speak for Sheffield, you're probably better off emailing an admissions tutor. :smile:

I reckon if I try, I can get an A* in maths, I got 96% in my stats module, so I should be able to repeat that for the others as I didn't even understand statistics until the weekend before the exam!

I reckon I can pull the physics up to an A, I got an a in the main summer exam, which I'm pretty chuffed with tbh.

I've already met the admissions tutor for mechanical at Sheffield and he's lovely, but I forgot to ask him about leniency on B's when you're doing 4 subjects..

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 3
I reckon if I try, I can get an A* in maths, I got 96% in my stats module, so I should be able to repeat that for the others as I didn't even understand statistics until the weekend before the exam!

I reckon I can pull the physics up to an A, I got an a in the main summer exam, which I'm pretty chuffed with tbh.

I've already met the admissions tutor for mechanical at Sheffield and he's lovely, but I forgot to ask him about leniency on B's when you're doing 4 subjects..

Thanks for your reply :smile:

No problem :smile: A*AB is similar to AAA in that there's the same UCAS Tariff, not that I set much store by that sort of thing. I don't know specifically about Sheffield or Mech. Eng, but leniency on missed grades if you do better than required in relevant subjects is fairly common :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by joostan
No problem :smile: A*AB is similar to AAA in that there's the same UCAS Tariff, not that I set much store by that sort of thing. I don't know specifically about Sheffield or Mech. Eng, but leniency on missed grades if you do better than required in relevant subjects is fairly common :smile:

Super :smile:
None of the universities I like use the UCAS tariff (Sheffield, Southampton, Exeter, Cardiff, Nottingham), which I think makes things easier, I just have to get A*AA- ABB to get into at least one of them.

But my original question- is it worth doing a whole year of a subject I hate, biology, to get an A or better, or should I scrap that and do chemistry, which is more fun, interesting and much harder, to get a B, hopefully?
Reply 5
Super :smile:
None of the universities I like use the UCAS tariff (Sheffield, Southampton, Exeter, Cardiff, Nottingham), which I think makes things easier, I just have to get A*AA- ABB to get into at least one of them.

But my original question- is it worth doing a whole year of a subject I hate, biology, to get an A or better, or should I scrap that and do chemistry, which is more fun, interesting and much harder, to get a B, hopefully?

If you really dislike biology, then you might well be better off taking Chem. . . A better grade does look better. However dropping a subject might give you more time to focus on others.
I'm sorry to say that I really don't know what's best for YOU. At the end of the day it's your decision. :smile:
Reply 6
I'll probably drop biology, the compulsory homework alone takes up about 65% of my study time, and they expect us to do another half hour every day, while all the other subjects let us get on with it, which I like because it suits me better.

And my favourite biology teacher's leaving, while everyone else in the biology department seems to hate me!

Quick Reply

Latest