The Student Room Group

No Jan exams - what does this mean?

I got my AS results yesterday and they were ok I guess, especially after I heard the number of people that didn't get the grades they wanted.

I'm not resitting so this is my first year in AS so seeing so many people mess up will shock me. But my guess is that it happens every year.

However the students this year that flopped will not be able to resit in Jan - surely this means that the number A* and A grades next year will massively decrease?
Reply 1
Bump
the government don't know what they're doing
that's what it means op
Reply 3
Bump
Might as well rebump this thread.

For the students who never tried at GCSE, they might have it harder because they haven't got the required experience in achieving As. I didn't do anything at GCSE, and it came to bite me in the ass, especially for the jan exams. I was not organised and didn't really know how I personally could study.
I did better in the June exams because I learnt more about myself and more about how subjects work, how textbooks work, just how the system works in general (srs). Now I feel that if I restarted the year to do a levels again, with any other subject, I could easily be getting As. (and that is why I'm retaking :biggrin: )

Imo it might be better for say maths students, because everything in maths just collapses into eachother and links in soo.. Any subject that is solely regurgitating things from memory, people will suffer in as a result.
Reply 5
Original post by ravishingrick69
Might as well rebump this thread.

For the students who never tried at GCSE, they might have it harder because they haven't got the required experience in achieving As. I didn't do anything at GCSE, and it came to bite me in the ass, especially for the jan exams. I was not organised and didn't really know how I personally could study.
I did better in the June exams because I learnt more about myself and more about how subjects work, how textbooks work, just how the system works in general (srs). Now I feel that if I restarted the year to do a levels again, with any other subject, I could easily be getting As. (and that is why I'm retaking :biggrin: )

Imo it might be better for say maths students, because everything in maths just collapses into eachother and links in soo.. Any subject that is solely regurgitating things from memory, people will suffer in as a result.

Ok I guess that is one way of thinking about it. So your saying that subjects such as chemistry, bio and essay subject students will achieve less A's?
Original post by 123formyabc
Ok I guess that is one way of thinking about it. So your saying that subjects such as chemistry, bio and essay subject students will achieve less A's?

I'm a Chemistry teacher and have always wanted to get rid of January exams (this is solely my opinion though!)

There are advantages and disadvantages to not having January papers. There should be 5 or 6 weeks more teaching time which is made up from revision at the start of January and then the 3 or so weeks when students can't make it to your classes because they are on exam leave. In Chemistry, some of the theory in one AS module will help to explain stuff in the next module, so learning them in the same year can help with understanding.

The major drawback is that students who don't respond well to being examined will obviously be at a disadvantage.

From a teacher's perspective I think it means that I have to make sure that my students really understand the material, in the sense that they can see and use the concepts from any and every angle, rather than just hoping they'll "remember most of it" on the day.

Good luck with your A2s!

Naveed.
Reply 7
Original post by Greene's
I'm a Chemistry teacher and have always wanted to get rid of January exams (this is solely my opinion though!)

There are advantages and disadvantages to not having January papers. There should be 5 or 6 weeks more teaching time which is made up from revision at the start of January and then the 3 or so weeks when students can't make it to your classes because they are on exam leave. In Chemistry, some of the theory in one AS module will help to explain stuff in the next module, so learning them in the same year can help with understanding.

The major drawback is that students who don't respond well to being examined will obviously be at a disadvantage.

From a teacher's perspective I think it means that I have to make sure that my students really understand the material, in the sense that they can see and use the concepts from any and every angle, rather than just hoping they'll "remember most of it" on the day.

Good luck with your A2s!

Naveed.

Thanks I appreciate your feedback.
Reply 8
Bump

It's good to see that teachers are thinking like this, because promoting greater understanding rather than cramming can only be good for students.
I think I would have struggled without January exams. The fact that the course was split up more helped me. Students will have to learn more of the content for one exam sitting. :dontknow:
Reply 11

Good luck with your A2s!

Naveed.

Hi there, I'm starting A2 in September but want to do Chemitry in Uni. What kind of work experience do you suggest I do?
Reply 12
bump
Original post by SyedaK
Hi there, I'm starting A2 in September but want to do Chemitry in Uni. What kind of work experience do you suggest I do?

Hi SyedaK.

Naveed's away for the moment but I am a Personal Tutor at Grenee's too. Have you considered contacting your local university's department for work experience or shadowing with their research groups? If you're considering work during the holidays, then I'd start contacting places now. I'm not sure where you are.

Your school's careers advisor may be able to give specific, more local advice or get you in touch with the right offices.

Subiksha
Reply 14
It means you have to work really hard and it would be vital to maintain consistency in your revision up until June, I think it's a really bad idea but we can't do much about it but our best. I feel sorry for the AS level students who won't be doing jan exams because I know for me it was a big shock and a slap to reality to up your game a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest