The Student Room Group

For A2 AQA English Lit Coursework, must I choose a classic?

Our teachers told us to read around over the summer and look for two novels (they said it would be easier than drama or poetry) for the comparison coursework. However, I kind of dislike classic novels such as Austen's, Dickens'... And I do believe that for this piece precisely you need to feel at least passionate about what your going to write about. Thus, if for example, I chose A Thousand Splendid Suns, could I choose another contemporary novel or would that count me down? Does AQA like better having classics in your coursework?
Sorry for my ignorance hahahaha
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by alindp
Our teachers told us to read around over the summer and look for two novels (they said it would be easier than drama or poetry) for the comparison coursework. However, I kind of dislike classic novels such as Austen's, Dickens'... And I do believe that for this piece precisely you need to feel at least passionate about what your going to write about. Thus, if for example, I chose A Thousand Splendid Suns, could I choose another contemporary novel or would that count me down? Does AQA like better having classics in your coursework?
Thanks!

Why are you taking literature if you dislike classics? Your teacher should give you a recommended reading list. Read them but remember there's no rush. You'll have tonnes of time to prepare in the first term.

Try some Angela Carter if you really hate 19th century work.
Reply 2
I think I didn't quite explain myself good enough. For example, I did enjoy Fitzgerald, Wilde or Shakespeare. It's just those "heavy" books with complex old vocab what I find hard.
Thanks for your info!
Reply 3
Well there's lots of literature that's considered not too heavy.
Try 20th century novelists and poets. Carter, Poetry is very highly regarded in coursework. Only able students choose it for comparison and in my year all the students that chose poetry ended up getting an A* in coursework. Probably because you have to look at text in far more detail and have more opportunities to talk about AO2.

I highly advise you don't worry too much about getting ahead. You really need your teacher's guidance on this one.
Reply 4
Original post by Ashahedow
Well there's lots of literature that's considered not too heavy.
Try 20th century novelists and poets. Carter, Poetry is very highly regarded in coursework. Only able students choose it for comparison and in my year all the students that chose poetry ended up getting an A* in coursework. Probably because you have to look at text in far more detail and have more opportunities to talk about AO2.

I highly advise you don't worry too much about getting ahead. You really need your teacher's guidance on this one.

Sounds great! Thanks, seriously!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alindp
Sounds great! Thanks, seriously!! :smile:

You're welcome! Sorry I can't be of more help- I can only go by what I and other A* students did.
Original post by alindp
Thanks!

For my A2 coursework I did Dr. Jeykll and Mr Hyde, a few Keats poems and Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories. You can choose whatever novel you'd like as long as your lecturer approves and checks with the exam board.
I wrote about Atonement in my comparative essay, so no, you don't have to do a classic. If you're worried about the standard of your texts, why don't you try reading some modern classics? Often they aren't as dry (sorry dedicated English Literature students!) as Austen, Dickens, etc. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by miscellanea
I absolutely hate Austen and Milton haha and I'm a dedicated first year English student! Shame on me. I love the Brontes and Dickens though :smile:

Original post by SophieGloria
I wrote about Atonement in my comparative essay, so no, you don't have to do a classic. If you're worried about the standard of your texts, why don't you try reading some modern classics? Often they aren't as dry (sorry dedicated English Literature students!) as Austen, Dickens, etc. :smile:

That's just what happens to me! I mean, I'm absolutely in love with English Lit. Seriously, attending to its lessons if fantastic. This year we read Shakespeare, Wilde, Fitzgerald, and this summer, I've just read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I did love them. I agree about Dickens... I never finish his books. But that's just about personalities... I'm such a bad lit student hahahaha
I think everyone has different taste to everyone else. Just because you don't like classics, or certain classics doesn't make you a bad lit student :P

Personally I have read quite a few classics but only I can say who I like - which is Dickens - I love his writing! But that's me. I personally liked the 1st half of the Victorian Literature Period. The late half (when Thomas Hardy arrived, I disliked).

And again, I'm not too keen on Dystopian novels like Margret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. I prefer American Lit like The American Psycho or The Catcher in the Rye!

But ANYWAY! If you really don't want to do classics which in fairness are really challenging texts then stick to classic authors of the 20th century!

Personally, even if you were not to study a classic for your coursework, I would at least study 3 classic novels, plays and poems because they might come up in the exam and if you don't understand or know how to vaguely read classic literature as such, then that would be quite difficult for you when the time comes. But get some classic reading done though.

Trying to avoid classic literature is like trying to avoid Shakespeare - IMPOSSIBLE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending