The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2200
Original post by TheAsian
Amazing, well done! Advice for self teachers of Further Maths?

You should try to cover at least one module a month, not taking into account potential resits. This gives you time to practice past papers and to catch up on other subjects should you happen to fall behind for some reason.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah, well I got AAB for my AS.....I was not expecting that at all..honestly thought I got D's...looks like I can open a few uni options now!
Yes... Doubtful. Humanities typically benefit (potentially) more from remarking... since subjective. It's not uncommon for STEM re-marks to actually decrease. :awesome:

M.A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cameron10
Ah, well I got AAB for my AS.....I was not expecting that at all..honestly thought I got D's...looks like I can open a few uni options now!

Nice man. Those are great results.
Original post by Physicsrules23
Hey everyone I hope you all got the grades you wanted and deserved :smile:

I received my As grades yesterday and achieved AAAA in my four main subjects (maths physics chemistry biology) which I am obviously very pleased with, but got an E in general studies which is compulsory. That E was partially due to me not trying that much in the exam because its general studies and partially because I was ill in the exams. So I was wondering if that bad grade will count against me or ruin my chances of getting into medicine next year? Anyone have any experience like this? Hopefully I will be allowed to drop it next year anyway

In simplest terms no, most universities even exclude general studies as one of the three a levels they accept. So don't worry they will only be interested in the four As (congratulations on that!) just continue your hardworking and you'll be fine :smile:
Achieved A C C at A2 I'm somewhat pleased only because I'm 1 UMS off a B and it's going to be difficult getting 1 mark off a PSYB1 paper but I'm going to try.

I'm laughing at my History retake because I did worse than last year and I cannot understand why, but there is no point remarking because it won't affect my overall grade. So I'm very happy with my C because it was a very difficult subject for me.

Finally achieved an A in Law after being 1 mark off an A CONSTANTLY. Aha!

Got into Bristol UWE regardless of being 20 points short. Happy days!
Original post by Ninjabutterfly
Achieved A C C at A2 I'm somewhat pleased only because I'm 1 UMS off a B and it's going to be difficult getting 1 mark off a PSYB1 paper but I'm going to try.

I'm laughing at my History retake because I did worse than last year and I cannot understand why, but there is no point remarking because it won't affect my overall grade. So I'm very happy with my C because it was a very difficult subject for me.

Finally achieved an A in Law after being 1 mark off an A CONSTANTLY. Aha!

Got into Bristol UWE regardless of being 20 points short. Happy days!

Congrats :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Original post by EllyR
Haha yes I did exactly the same! Although looking at the course content I've realised that I've seriously forgotten so much chemistry - I might need to go over my notes a few times before we go! :P Have you thought about which option modules you want to do yet? I don't know whether I want to do the molecules in action one or something else :colondollar:

Oh yes I'm looking forward to matriculation so much! Also can't wait to get a gown :biggrin: I'm going to feel like Harry Potter :P Is Collingwood a gowned college? Haha yes location was a deciding factor in college choice :P

I know, definitely! :biggrin: Those are amazing results, well done! Yeah same for me with maths, thought I'd failed C4! :dontknow:

Haha, it's fun isn't it? :biggrin: And yeah, I think that's something both of us will have to do... Go over chemistry, and for me maths as well! :L Which bits are you feeling a bit hazy on? I think it's the organic stuff in chem for me and some of the electrochemical cell stuff as well... I think I will pick either molecules in action or a maths module... I don't know yet, but am leaning towards molecules in action because it sounds really interesting and we get to do quite a bit of maths in Core Chem B anyway... Which option module were you thinking of doing, aside from German obvs? :smile:)

I'm quite looking forward to doing German for scientists actually, I was worried it would have like loads of literature in it but it sounds a bit like doing more challenging GCSE writing assignments, if you know what I mean? :smile: It'll be fun to do German again!! That's something I should go over a bit again as well lol!

Ooooo, I know!! :biggrin: It's going to be such a special, once-in-a-lifetime event isn't it? I always imagine it being really formal and hallowed if you get what I mean... Kind of like the Sorting in Harry Potter to keep in theme with what you were saying! :biggrin: Yeah no Collingwood don't wear gowns... Just smart clothes! It'll be fun to see so many colleges in their gowns on the day though! :biggrin:

Ohhh thank you so much!!! :biggrin: I am very happy with them, and am just glad that A levels ended the way they did! :smile:) I'm glad C4 went better for you than you thought it did as well! It's the best when that happens! :biggrin:D
Reply 2209
as results
maths a
biology b
chemistry b
it b
are there unis that offer aab and lower for dentistry or medicine for a levels. if so please state
Original post by MathsNerd1
If you think you could get an A in Chemistry then don't choose another subject because it might be easier. I honestly think anyone can improve if they tried hard enough during the year as I was in your situation last year as I only got a C in Chemistry but my teachers still saw my potential to do well so predicted me an A in the subject, I decided to take 3 out of the 4 exams during the June exam season and increased the first unit from a D and E to 1 mark off an A, the first A2 unit from a D to an A* standard and the final unit I got as an A* standard as well. Unfortunately because my coursework was marked down from the mark I was told by my teacher I only got a B but it was only 1 mark away from the A grade and 13 UMS off the A* grade too. So with enough determination and motivation you can get the grade you want, just need to put in enough time :biggrin: I will also mention I only had 2 months from deciding I was doing all the units until the exams where I had to relearn 2 of the units again as I hadn't looked at them in a while so just don't go for Maths because it may be easier as its not a subject that is for everyone. Best of luck with whatever decision you decide to make and if you need anymore help then just ask and I'll try my best to help you out. :smile:

Well I thought did okay in my chemistry exam but ended up with a D and A2 isn't going to get any easier-so I don't really think it's my thing :s and it's not like I have to have chemistry. And retakes are a hassle too. Also it was the second unit that I got a D in and tbh I didn't really like it and from my revision guide I see that most of A2 is based upon that unit. Also I looked on the Internet and most people say A2 chemistry is really hard and harder than maths. I know not everyone's the same but I think maths is more once you get it thats it whereas chemistry is learning content and then how to answer the questions.
I think if I try in maths I can get an A and I was only one mark off an A this time.
So think I'm going to go with maths.
Thanks for all your help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2211
Original post by TheAsian
Has anyone ever sent off a science based exam for remark, and had the mark go up? I don't see how it's possible for my Chemistry exam (F332), considering that they're basically yes/no answers.

Same here. I don't know whether to get it remarked.
I achieved 2A's & 2B's what are my likely A2 predictions?
Reply 2213
Original post by ALevel96
I achieved 2A's & 2B's what are my likely A2 predictions?

What you can expect to be predicted: Anything between AAB to A*A*A

Depends on UMS and how willing your teachers are to give you a higher prediction.
(edited 10 years ago)
I got a D in one of my psychology exams but I was 10 UMS (5 raw marks) away from an overall A, do you think I should get a remark?
Music - A
Geography - A
History - B

History A2 I got straight A*'s, but because I got a C in AS I got a B :L three marks off an A! gutted

got into my first choice :smile: Bristol here I come!
Reply 2216
I was two raw marks (maximum) off getting three A*s, bloody chemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FrenchNerd
I got a D in one of my psychology exams but I was 10 UMS (5 raw marks) away from an overall A, do you think I should get a remark?

I would, you really don't have nothing to lose :smile:
Original post by Squirb
I was two raw marks (maximum) off getting three A*s, bloody chemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was one UMS mark off an A in Chemistry :tongue: Such a beast that subject is! -_-
Original post by zaraasker
Well I thought did okay in my chemistry exam but ended up with a D and A2 isn't going to get any easier-so I don't really think it's my thing :s and it's not like I have to have chemistry. And retakes are a hassle too. Also it was the second unit that I got a D in and tbh I didn't really like it and from my revision guide I see that most of A2 is based upon that unit. Also I looked on the Internet and most people say A2 chemistry is really hard and harder than maths. I know not everyone's the same but I think maths is more once you get it thats it whereas chemistry is learning content and then how to answer the questions.
I think if I try in maths I can get an A and I was only one mark off an A this time.
So think I'm going to go with maths.
Thanks for all your help :smile:

I was in the exact same position for all my Chemistry exams barring the June season as I got E's and D's with 1 C included but it wasn't because I wasn't working hard enough it was all just about my exam technique and that I went around the question but didn't specifically answer it so never really got the marks. I could never really explain what I was doing wrong either and probably still don't know but for my June exams I just bullet pointed out the answers to save me from going off topic, this method actually scored me the high marks I now have so maybe if you practiced your exam technique a bit more then your marks would shoot right up! Also don't underestimate Maths as that's what I did with a few of my modules because I was scoring the top marks the whole way through the year but then messed up in the exams which is what mattered as I was being too confident in my ability, this stopped me from getting the 2 A*'s I know I deserved but there is nothing I can do about it now. Finally if you ever need any help with Maths then just PM and I try my best to reply as soon as I can. Best of luck next year and I hope you get the grades you want.:smile:

Latest