The Student Room Group

Can you get into russel group universities when...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Infinity_4652
Why do my teachers lie to me about everything??!! :angry:
Stupid school!!
My form tutor told me retakers will never be accepted at any russel group uni, I was so depressed about it for like weeks!

I can't account for that. I'm sorry. Retakes are frowned in in a small number of cases for courses such as medicine, and you will find some places which state that they will not consider three year A levels but you only have to look at the stories on the clearing threads to see that for many, many RG universities, it is not an issue. They may make higher offers to resitters, though.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I can't account for that. I'm sorry. Retakes are frowned in in a small number of cases for courses such as medicine, and you will find some places which state that they will not consider three year A levels but you only have to look at the stories on the clearing threads to see that for many, many RG universities, it is not an issue. They may make higher offers to resitters, though.

Yh, atleast I have nothing to worry about - so relieved!

I spoke to one of the admissions tutors at cambridge the other day and he himself said I will have no problem being accepted there because I have my personal reasons.
Reply 42
Hi,

I am a hopeful Medical student and my GCSE's weren't very good because of some personal problems during the start of GCSE's. My grades at GCSE were 3 A's 5 B's and 1C.
However at AS level I have achieved much better results with an A in biology, A in chemistry, A in maths and B in physics (which i am thinking of getting remarked). I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on which universities to apply to.

Thank you
Reply 43
Original post by Isildur
At the end of my AS I hadn't done too well. I ended up resitting my English and French exams, as well as my French Oral exam and then even went on to resit my French Exam again. Now I've got A*AA at A2 and I held offers for Exeter, York, and Queen Mary (3 Russell Groups)

Could you possibly say what your AS grades were? I was expecting AAAC this year and have completely messed them up with ABDU.. I will resit the last two but was hoping to go into law at a competitive uni but I think that is out of the window now :frown: My dream is Queen Mary and I wanted A*AA next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by michaelhaych
no, not really

WRONG. I resat year 12, gave no explanation as to why on my personal statement and I got 5 offers.

Would you mind saying where your offers were and what for? I am trying to figure out how much my AS grades might have affected my plans..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Don't worry! Have seen that that was already answered! Sorry x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e_rowe11
Would you mind saying where your offers were and what for? I am trying to figure out how much my AS grades might have affected my plans..

Posted from TSR Mobile

umm, if I can remember...

York - Molecular Cell Biology - A*AB
Sheffield - Molecular Biology - A*AB
Lancaster - Cellular Biology - A*BB
Glasgow - Molecular Cell Biology - A*BB
Leicester - Biological Sciences (Genetics) - A*AB

the standard offers for those courses ranged from AAB to ABB but it's worth noting that I had already completed A Level Psychology (A*) by the time I applied so they were pretty standard offers. However it's also probably worth noting that I probably wouldn't have gotten so many offers had I not been able to demonstrate that I was capable of getting an A* after failing a year, had I applied just with 3 predicted grades a lot of them would have rejected me so swings and roundabouts really.
(edited 10 years ago)
I resat my AS year (got DDC originally :eek: ), and got all of my offers. My firm gave me an offer one grade higher than most people I've spoken to but that could be for a variety of reasons.

Oh and for the record I didn't mention resitting in my personal statement once and it didn't seem to do me any harm.

Oh, and my offers weren't for the very elite ones like Durham/ LSE and like so I can't talk for them but as for Leeds/ Birmingham/ Manchester types I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you step up your game in AS round 2!
Reply 48
I reset my AS year & applied for pharmacy but only Keele gave me a higher offer than normal.. I applied to Birmingham, Durham, Manchester, LJMU & Keele... now I'm going to Birmingham! so the Russell Group thing is nonsense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do my teachers lie to me about everything??!! :angry:
Stupid school!!
My form tutor told me retakers will never be accepted at any russel group uni, I was so depressed about it for like weeks!

I can confirm that that's rubbish. I came out of sixth form with BCU, so I went to an FE college to study a fast-track A-Level and retake the modules I screwed up in the subjects I passed. I mentioned in my personal statement that I was 'embarking on re-takes' and aiming to get AAB. I received conditional offers from Birmingham and Manchester, and now I'm a student at Birmingham, so what your teacher said is bullcrap.

Admittedly some universities probably do frown upon retakes. The ones I'd imagine would are Oxbridge, the top London ones, and the really hideously snobby ones like Durham, Exeter and Bristol, but who cares about those places?

Show determination in your personal statement. Say something along the lines of 'I don't feel that the grades I achieved are a true reflection of my ability'. Worked with me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Collierja
I can confirm that that's rubbish. I came out of sixth form with BCU, so I went to an FE college to study a fast-track A-Level and retake the modules I screwed up in the subjects I passed. I mentioned in my personal statement that I was 'embarking on re-takes' and aiming to get AAB. I received conditional offers from Birmingham and Manchester, and now I'm a student at Birmingham, so what your teacher said is bullcrap.

Admittedly some universities probably do frown upon retakes. The ones I'd imagine would are Oxbridge, the top London ones, and the really hideously snobby ones like Durham, Exeter and Bristol, but who cares about those places?

Show determination in your personal statement. Say something along the lines of 'I don't feel that the grades I achieved are a true reflection of my ability'. Worked with me.

How is birmingham?? It's one of my possible options.
I'm also thinking of exeter and bristol, so I care about them.

I have personal reasons for flopping the year, so would the top unis still frown on me??

I will be transferring from sixth form to college next month (like you did), do I have to mention this on my personal statement?
(edited 10 years ago)
How is birmingham?? It's one of my possible options.
I'm also thinking of exeter and bristol, so I care about them.

I have personal reasons for flopping the year, so would the top unis still frown on me??

I will be transferring from sixth form to college next month (like you did), do I have to mention this on my personal statement?

Birmingham's a great uni. The campus is lovely - has a nice American feel about it - and the accommodation is generally awesome. One downside is that it's a 30 minute walk to the town centre (or 10 mins by bus or train - it's the only university in the country to have its own train station!) although whether or not that's a bad thing is a matter of opinion. The fact that it's actually got a campus is definitely a pull factor, as quite a few big city Russell Groups like Bristol and Manchester don't - but on the other hand, the absence of a campus usually means that you're more likely to be situated in the urban parts and have more of a typical downtown lifestyle. Overall it depends on your preferences. Personally I wish I had more of the latter, but unless you're in far-away private halls (which are situated closer to the urban parts), you won't get much of that.

Another downside is that a lot of the halls are pretty expensive. The most populous one, Mason, is at least £6,000 for self-catered (at least £7,100 for catered). The other halls aren't that much, but on average they tend to be more expensive than halls in other universities. I believe the cheapest ones are around £3,300 self-catered. Also, this is just an observation but I find the cheaper halls tend to have better social atmospheres (and fewer pretentious dicks)...

One last downside is that for second and third years, most of the student housing is located in a suburb called Selly Oak, which is on the doorstep of the campus - but on the whole it's not a very nice place. But nearly everyone opts to live there, and it's quite a haven for house parties...

Birmingham is also one of the sportiest universities in the country, and there does tend to be a slight dominance of captain-of-the-high-school-football-team types. Again, whether or not that's a bad thing is down to personal taste (I'm more of the quirky artsy type myself). Footballers' wives types are pretty abundant too...

If you had personal reasons, I'm sure they won't be too harsh about that. I've heard that Durham sometimes looks down on applicants who take gap-years without intending to retake anything, but that might only be the case for the most competitive courses...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Well obviously you can.
My mate resat a year and got into Liverpool to do Law so yes it's perfectly possible, perhaps just not for Oxbridge and maybe LSE/UCL/Imperial, though I'm not entirely sure on the latter three. :smile:
Original post by Collierja
Birmingham's a great uni. The campus is lovely - has a nice American feel about it - and the accommodation is generally awesome. One downside is that it's a 30 minute walk to the town centre (or 10 mins by bus or train - it's the only university in the country to have its own train station!) although whether or not that's a bad thing is a matter of opinion. The fact that it's actually got a campus is definitely a pull factor, as quite a few big city Russell Groups like Bristol and Manchester don't - but on the other hand, the absence of a campus usually means that you're more likely to be situated in the urban parts and have more of a typical downtown lifestyle. Overall it depends on your preferences. Personally I wish I had more of the latter, but unless you're in far-away private halls (which are situated closer to the urban parts), you won't get much of that.

Another downside is that a lot of the halls are pretty expensive. The most populous one, Mason, is at least £6,000 for self-catered (at least £7,100 for catered). The other halls aren't that much (except Shackleton hall, which I must warn you is a horrible place), but on average they tend to be more expensive than halls in other universities.

One last downside is that for second and third years, most of the student housing is located in a suburb called Selly Oak, which is on the doorstep of the campus - but on the whole it's not a very nice place. But most people go there and it's quite a haven for house parties...

Birmingham is also one of the sportiest universities in the country, and there does tend to be a slight dominance of captain-of-the-high-school-football-team types. Again, whether or not that's a bad thing is down to personal taste (I'm more of the quirky artsy type myself). Footballers' wives types are pretty abundant too...

If you had personal reasons, I'm sure they won't be too harsh about that. I've heard that Durham sometimes looks down on applicants who take gap-years without intending to retake anything, but that might only be the case for the most competitive courses...

Wow, thank you!! Really helpful! :smile:

It's a bit too early for me to decide which uni I will go to, so I don't have any questions at the moment.
Thanks for the help though!
Reply 55
Original post by booklover96
Is it possible to get into Russel group universities if you resit your AS year? Unfortunately, I did not do as well as I hoped or would have and decided that the best course of action would be resitting AS. Would this in anyway hinder my chances of getting into one of the top unis in the country when I am applying? All your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks:smile:

I resat all my AS subjects and got 5 offers including from Edinburgh, Cardiff and Glasgow. My application looked like I just hadn't sat any of my AS exams because they were all 'pending' but I'm sure the unis cared about my expected grades and reference more. I wouldn't worry about it, just as long as your personal statement stands out and your expected grades are high enough to be accepted!
Original post by bethaaan
I resat all my AS subjects and got 5 offers including from Edinburgh, Cardiff and Glasgow. My application looked like I just hadn't sat any of my AS exams because they were all 'pending' but I'm sure the unis cared about my expected grades and reference more. I wouldn't worry about it, just as long as your personal statement stands out and your expected grades are high enough to be accepted!

I'm assuming you applied a few years ago? This is no longer an option as all exams now have to be declared.
Reply 57
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm assuming you applied a few years ago? This is no longer an option as all exams now have to be declared.

I applied for 2013/2014. I was resitting at least one module for all of my subjects and was told to put pending instead of the cash-in grade :smile:
Original post by bethaaan
I applied for 2013/2014. I was resitting at least one module for all of my subjects and was told to put pending instead of the cash-in grade :smile:

Independent school? All state schools have to cash in grades. You were misinformed if not, but clearly no harm done.
Reply 59
Hi everyone : ) I achieved AAB at AS-Level. I want to study Geography at university, my favourite asking for AAB-ABB. I got the B in Geography so have I messed up my chances of getting there? The University did say that they would accept me with a B but I'm worried I've ruined my chances.

Quick Reply

Latest