The Student Room Group

UCAS decisions advice please !!

I am definitely going to firm KCL for sociology politics and religion

Please could i have help deciding my insurance choice:
Between QMUL for IR or Essex for an integrated masters + placement year in international relations (5year course)

Both courses are asking for the same requirements (BCC) would a degree at a russell group uni hold more prestige than an integrated master and work experience at a non russell group uni ?

I live in London, so there's a possibility i would commute to the QMUL campus (takes around 1hour) but i would like to live in accom during 1st year to make the most of the uni experience (given i can afford it)

In comparison,at Essex, i'd have to stay in accomodation/housing for at least 4years adding to the cost of a degree there.

i would love some advice !
It sounds like you prefer the Essex course and option and the only thing that appeals to you about QMUL is the fact it’s a russell group member.

If you ask the majority of people which universities are in the Russell group they won’t even know what the RG is never mind which universities are members. The RG is a research club - it’s irrelevant to undergraduate students (apart from the fact that they are syphoning off tuition fees to subsidise the costs of research)
For a social science degree it isnt actually going to make any difference to your life where you get your degree. There is a great deal of total bunkum concocted about RG - its essentially just marketing nonsense thought up by those Unis themselves. Go where you will enjoy the degree the most and where you will feel happiest.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
For a social science degree it isnt actually going to make any difference to your life where you get your degree. There is a great deal of total bunkum concocted about RG - its essentially just marketing nonsense thought up by those Unis themselves. Go where you will enjoy the degree the most and where you will feel happiest.

thank you so much for your advice! i'll definitely keep it in mind when making my decision :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
It sounds like you prefer the Essex course and option and the only thing that appeals to you about QMUL is the fact it’s a russell group member.
If you ask the majority of people which universities are in the Russell group they won’t even know what the RG is never mind which universities are members. The RG is a research club - it’s irrelevant to undergraduate students (apart from the fact that they are syphoning off tuition fees to subsidise the costs of research)

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll definitely be taking it into account
Original post by sueeee
Thank you so much for your advice! I'll definitely be taking it into account

Hey @sueeee

Its great to hear that you are thinking of making us your insurance choice!

I agree with everything that has been mentioned above, and would always recommended with going with the course you find more interesting and the place you feel happiest in! Degrees can be for a number of years, and you have to be able to do something and be somewhere that you can picture yourself staying at for the whole time 😊

Attending open days are a great way to meet departments and get a feel for the campus!

We are always happy to answer any questions that you have about Essex, your course, and even university in general! 🎓

Essex Official Rep - Morgan✨

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending