The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr.Ugs
Did it get you interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I got 3 interviews and the rejection was because I did some extra AS levels in year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1281
Original post by babychocolate
Yeah, I got 3 interviews and the rejection was because I did some extra AS levels in year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is that a problem though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying for medicine this year, am I am wondering if my application is strong enough:
GCSES: 4A*s, 6As (1 short course) and 1B
AS levels: A(geog) A(chem) B(biology) - so close to an A! B(maths)
UKCAT - VR(580) :frown:, QR(670), AR(700), DA(650), SJ - band 2 (Average 650)

I have done lots of valuable work experience, I help at a care home, help at a scout group, have lots of hobbies, silver and gold duke of edinburgh, have a job...

Could anyone suggest to me what universities I am most likely to get in to medicine?

Thanks!
Reply 1283
Original post by Emily195
I am applying for medicine this year, am I am wondering if my application is strong enough:
GCSES: 4A*s, 6As (1 short course) and 1B
AS levels: A(geog) A(chem) B(biology) - so close to an A! B(maths)
UKCAT - VR(580) :frown:, QR(670), AR(700), DA(650), SJ - band 2 (Average 650)

I have done lots of valuable work experience, I help at a care home, help at a scout group, have lots of hobbies, silver and gold duke of edinburgh, have a job...

Could anyone suggest to me what universities I am most likely to get in to medicine?

Thanks!

Glasgow apparently have a 650 cut off score for UKCAT but I'm not certain. Also, your GCSEs are strong for Cardiff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1284
Original post by CasualSoul
Hey yeah that is exactly what I've done/ plan to do :smile:

you sure we have to make a new UCAS account tho? from scratch?
Reply 1285
Original post by Green Bubblegum
Hey guys,
best of luck to everyone.

i wanted to know where should I apply?
a levels A*AAA
gsce 9A*s

lots of experience and plplacements hoping to get a hca Job

ukcat 660

thanks and please tell me which unis I'd get offers from hopefully

http://unireq.co.uk/program.php?course=ugmedicine&submit=Submit
try this to show which places you're eligible for. Should be most I think except UKCAT heavy/ BMAT unis (unless you intend to do this). Go for GCSE uni's I guess (sould show you on the unireq thing or personal statement ones if you're confident in writing ability.
Original post by richtea5
you sure we have to make a new UCAS account tho? from scratch?

hmm can't say I'm sure for definite I remember looking through a thread and it saying that we needed to make a new account but that was a while ago. I not 100 % sure I will try and find out then I can let you know
hellloo everyone,
im not a reapplicant but i am going to apply to medicine this year. i've got one question to ask......

at what time period do you normally get interviews from universities?!.... because i want to go on a holiday in december and im not sure to whether to buy the tickets or not?!?

PLEASE HELP......!!!
Hi there,
I'm looking for a bit of advice really,
I had applied for medicine 2013 entry (Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrews, BSMS)
I received 2 offers (Glasgow and Aberdeen) and firmed Aberdeen.
Unfortunately I didn't meet my conditional offer - Got A B B (Maths was 1 mark off) and A* in my Extended Project
I am planning on doing some resits and reapplying...does anyone have any advice on where to apply/any uplifting stories about people who were in my position and are now at med school?!
I have read the thread about which ones accept resits but I've noticed people applying to others with resits too?
Also I want to know whether I should apply this year or wait a year and apply when I have my resit grades
Muchos Gracias,
A very deflated yet blindly optimistic gap year person
Original post by Mr boombang
hellloo everyone,
im not a reapplicant but i am going to apply to medicine this year. i've got one question to ask......

at what time period do you normally get interviews from universities?!.... because i want to go on a holiday in december and im not sure to whether to buy the tickets or not?!?

PLEASE HELP......!!!

Anywhere between November and March maybe even April at a push! I wouldn't really buy any tickets until all your interviews are done or till after this period :smile:
Original post by taramolloy
Hi there,
I'm looking for a bit of advice really,
I had applied for medicine 2013 entry (Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrews, BSMS)
I received 2 offers (Glasgow and Aberdeen) and firmed Aberdeen.
Unfortunately I didn't meet my conditional offer - Got A B B (Maths was 1 mark off) and A* in my Extended Project
I am planning on doing some resits and reapplying...does anyone have any advice on where to apply/any uplifting stories about people who were in my position and are now at med school?!
I have read the thread about which ones accept resits but I've noticed people applying to others with resits too?
Also I want to know whether I should apply this year or wait a year and apply when I have my resit grades
Muchos Gracias,
A very deflated yet blindly optimistic gap year person

I know that UEA, Plymouth and Exeter allow resits. Im not sure on Liverpool because I know they did but I heard they changed that. Might also be worth asking the universities you applied to last year whether they will accept another application from you :smile:
is there a point going to open days for medical universities?
Original post by Green Bubblegum
is there a point going to open days for medical universities?

Well if you want to know where you're going to spend the next 5-6 years of your life, it must be important. However, it isn't compulsory nor crucial. It will however give you an idea of which places you would like to apply to.
Original post by Mr boombang
hellloo everyone,

PLEASE HELP......!!!

Between November and March, generally. I had two in December and was asked to two in January.

Some universities allow you to specify dates that you're not around for (and Dundee even let you choose the date / time of the interview), but I personally wouldn't risk it. Save the holiday for after the interview season as a 'well done' to yourself ;D
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1294
Original post by CasualSoul
hmm can't say I'm sure for definite I remember looking through a thread and it saying that we needed to make a new account but that was a while ago. I not 100 % sure I will try and find out then I can let you know

Thank you :smile: it's not a huge thing to fill out a new one i guess if we have to but it would save some of the tedious finding results out/ dates etc
Reply 1295
Hey, can someone help me out??? I know I should be posting this on the UKCAT thread but noone seems to reply to me lol.

I'm spending 1 minute (at times more) on each QR question when I should be spending 30 seconds!!!!! How do I improve this??????? I feel doomed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Hey, can someone help me out??? I know I should be posting this on the UKCAT thread but noone seems to reply to me lol.

I'm spending 1 minute (at times more) on each QR question when I should be spending 30 seconds!!!!! How do I improve this??????? I feel doomed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey again :tongue: In all honesty everybody wants to ideally spend 30s I know I never calculated that quickly in the real UKCAT but the main thing to remember is to answer as many questions right as possible. I got 720 which I admit is not amazingly high, but I must have guessed about 12 questions maybe more. The last 8 questions which I ran out of time on were soo soo easy but I decided to spend to long on the other questions.

Best advice is to continue improving your speed but to answer all the easy questions in say 20s and then that gives you extra time for the tough ones. It can be near impossible to try and answer the tougher ones in 30s but it's about using your time resourcefully, when to use extra time and when to save it :smile:
Reply 1297
Original post by raveen789
Hey again :tongue: In all honesty everybody wants to ideally spend 30s I know I never calculated that quickly in the real UKCAT but the main thing to remember is to answer as many questions right as possible. I got 720 which I admit is not amazingly high, but I must have guessed about 12 questions maybe more. The last 8 questions which I ran out of time on were soo soo easy but I decided to spend to long on the other questions.

Best advice is to continue improving your speed but to answer all the easy questions in say 20s and then that gives you extra time for the tough ones. It can be near impossible to try and answer the tougher ones in 30s but it's about using your time resourcefully, when to use extra time and when to save it :smile:

Thanks! That makes me feel better, at least I can geuss a few :smile:
720 is an AMAZING score! If I got that I would frame my UKCAT score sheet :\ lol

How did you improve your speed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Thanks! That makes me feel better, at least I can geuss a few :smile:
720 is an AMAZING score! If I got that I would frame my UKCAT score sheet :\ lol

How did you improve your speed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just practice if im honest, you don't get a lot of text in the real thing so often you skim read what the data is showing you and get straight onto the question.
Reply 1299
Original post by raveen789
Just practice if im honest, you don't get a lot of text in the real thing so often you skim read what the data is showing you and get straight onto the question.

Most questions are not hard, they just require alot of typing into the calculator which takes up time! Lol

I'm so slow though its unbelievable. Like I think I'm almost there on a tough Q and end up spending ages on it!!! (And getting it wrong also lol)

Gonna do my first mock tommorrow. How did you do on the crap 600Q book mock? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending