The Student Room Group

is sharing a bathroom at uni THAT bad??

Hi

i have been reading the uni forums and everyone saying they would hate to share a bathroom with strangers at uni. i was not that bothered about it well i was a little but not major but reading these things makes me wonder.

for people who shared a bathroom at uni was it all that bad?????
i worry about being too long in the shower and possibly annoying flat mates
also things like if someone is sick and you wake up to it lol having to clean it

any experiences would be reassuring thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In one word: no.
I thought it was fine. Although we did have a cleaner so we didn't have to clean things ourselves. We'd go in rotations of who bought the hand sanitiser (although we never actually discussed this... people just ended up taking their turns automatically). The shower was fine, sometimes 1 or 2 people would be waiting in the morning but that's because we shared 1 shower between 7 (because noone wanted to use the upstairs shower as the downstairs one was waaay better), and after you get to know each other noone feels worried about knocking on the door and saying hurry up / being asked to hurry up :lol:
Reply 3
At my uni halls, there were shower cubicles, so imagine 3 showers in a line, but in their own cubicles, but they share a common drain, almost like a long urinal where it all goes between the three cubicles to reach a common drain.

So, my friend was in the cubicle, when a girl was in the one next to him, and all of a sudden a long trail of blood started appearing. Now I'm not squeamish, but I would scream, and run out of the shower (into the communal kitchen, I don't give a ****, I'm packing) if that happened to me.
Reply 4
Original post by arson_fire
Its not that bad tbh. Most people will get up at different times so you don`t get the rush early in the morning.

If you all agree to one simple rule it makes things easier: if you make a mess you clean it up.

yeah that is fair... that is what i would want to say but obviously if it happened within the first few days/weeks telling them to clean it up so i can use the bathroom would come across nasty and bossy which is not me at all:colondollar: thanks for the advice
Reply 5
Original post by manic_fuzz
I thought it was fine. Although we did have a cleaner so we didn't have to clean things ourselves. We'd go in rotations of who bought the hand sanitiser (although we never actually discussed this... people just ended up taking their turns automatically). The shower was fine, sometimes 1 or 2 people would be waiting in the morning but that's because we shared 1 shower between 7 (because noone wanted to use the upstairs shower as the downstairs one was waaay better), and after you get to know each other noone feels worried about knocking on the door and saying hurry up / being asked to hurry up :lol:

i'm not sure if the one i'm living with includes a cleaner but i am sharing with 5 so sounds like it will be ok from your experience :redface: yeah it is the first few days/weeks i worry about i would not want to seem bossy or nasty asking some one to hurry or anything because i have lectures and labs most days with early starts lol. thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Huskaris
At my uni halls, there were shower cubicles, so imagine 3 showers in a line, but in their own cubicles, but they share a common drain, almost like a long urinal where it all goes between the three cubicles to reach a common drain.

So, my friend was in the cubicle, when a girl was in the one next to him, and all of a sudden a long trail of blood started appearing. Now I'm not squeamish, but I would scream, and run out of the shower (into the communal kitchen, I don't give a ****, I'm packing) if that happened to me.

omg that sounds awful poor guy lol. yeah i hope my showers aren't like that sounds a bit like a swimming pool changing room which is not very nice by the sounds. hopefully i will not get any bad experiences like that!
Reply 7
I didn't find it that bad really. The toilets were in each in separate tiny little rooms which was good, and the showers were crap quality but they sufficed. I never had to wait. Mind you, even if I did have to wait, the way the accommodation was set out at Liverpool meant you could easily go to another floor to use a toilet/shower.

The one time I really wished I had an ensuite was when I had a really bad stomach bug which meant I was running to the loo every ten minutes with...y'know...problems. It was just embarrassing because people used to hang around and talk outside the toilets which isn't really what you want when you've got some 'noisy digestive problems' going on.

I had an ensuite when I moved unis and obviously it is preferable, but sharing bathrooms isn't the horror fest it's made out to be.
Reply 8

I laughed my ass off at this.
Reply 9
Also it isn't so bad. In my flat it's five people, so we have one toilet and two showers. They're each seperate rooms. The showers are fine but the toilet is in the hallway right opposite everybody's rooms and next to the kitchen, so trying not to make it obvious that you're going for a crap is like Mission Impossible. Also the toilet room has no ventilation, so when you leave after you've done your business you either: a) leave the door closed and let the smell linger and intensify, or b) open the door and let the smell seep into the hallway for all to enjoy.

Woo Uni!!
Reply 10
No, just expect a bit of filth- skid marks, rogue turds, hair in the plug hole etc.
Reply 11
Original post by scrdperson
Hi

i have been reading the uni forums and everyone saying they would hate to share a bathroom with strangers at uni. i was not that bothered about it well i was a little but not major but reading these things makes me wonder.

for people who shared a bathroom at uni was it all that bad?????
i worry about being too long in the shower and possibly annoying flat mates
also things like if someone is sick and you wake up to it lol having to clean it

any experiences would be reassuring thanks

Yes, it's bad alright.

You can catch rabies, and alsorts.
Reply 12
Honestly, it depends on who you're sharing with, and also, whether it's a small flat with one toilet / one shower, or a bigger flat with more than one.

If you're all sharing one toilet, and your flatmates are party animals, there is a chance that you're going to be getting up to a bathroom covered in vomit sometimes. Absolutely grim, especially if you don't have a cleaner / it's the weekend / the person who did it won't own up and clean up their own mess. If there's more than one cubicle then you don't have such a problem, there'll probably be a clean one. Just in case, take bleach, antibac wipes and rubber gloves with you when you move in!

Similarly, if you only have one shower cubicle, and everyone in your flat has 9.00 lectures, then there's going to be queueing and arguing a bit, but you'll probably all have different timetables so that shouldn't be too big an issue. Multiple cubicles would make that easier.

That's only a big issue in first year - after that, I shared a house with three others, but you got to pick who to househunt with, so I chose people I knew could share communal areas nicely.

You'll probably be absolutely fine, most of my friends in communal-bathroom flats were OK, the only problems were the all-medic flats (different termtimes, so some Halls preferred to put them all in together) who all needed to leave at the same time in the morning. I reckon you'll be OK.
Reply 13

:sick: Just threw up in my mouth slightly. :afraid:
(edited 10 years ago)
It was absolutely fine, and it saved me £27pw.

You'll have a shared bathroom anyway in second year when you move into a shared house so you may as well get used to it now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Finding a pube that isn't my own in the shower would put me off completely.
Reply 16
Original post by Jam198
Yes, it's bad alright.

You can catch rabies, and alsorts.

that's uni life i guess
Reply 17
Original post by Absity
Also it isn't so bad. In my flat it's five people, so we have one toilet and two showers. They're each seperate rooms. The showers are fine but the toilet is in the hallway right opposite everybody's rooms and next to the kitchen, so trying not to make it obvious that you're going for a crap is like Mission Impossible. Also the toilet room has no ventilation, so when you leave after you've done your business you either: a) leave the door closed and let the smell linger and intensify, or b) open the door and let the smell seep into the hallway for all to enjoy.

Woo Uni!!

oh dear why would they make a bathroom with no ventilation in there? hope my place is more..err..equipped!
Reply 18
Original post by Origami Bullets
It was absolutely fine, and it saved me £27pw.

You'll have a shared bathroom anyway in second year when you move into a shared house so you may as well get used to it now

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes i am glad it works out a lot cheaper but all these bad things said on TSR kind of freak me out a little. sounds like it is fine though :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Willbean
Finding a pube that isn't my own in the shower would put me off completely.

pube hunter? inspector pube :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending