The Student Room Group

As exam question

Hello tsr
I'm sort of confused with this question but I believe the answer to be cholesterol has an OH group, can someone help?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1381770051.154026.jpg Any help will be appreciated :smile: (sorry about the bad photo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would have put that it' because Cholesterol is only slightly soluble in water so therefore only a small amount of it will dissolve in the blood, this is because it can only form one hydrogen bond which will be disrupted by the fact that Cholesterol is a large molecule. In comparison Glucose is water soluble and a lot of glucose can dissolve in the blood because it is a more compact molecule and can form more hydrogen bonds. Therefore in order for enough Cholesterol to dissolve to be carried in the blood its water solubility needs to be increased, here by binding it to a carrier protein.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Tristian Fox
I would have put that it' because Cholesterol is only slightly soluble in water so therefore only a small amount of it will dissolve in the blood, this is because it can only form one hydrogen bond which will be disrupted by the fact that Cholesterol is a large molecule. In comparison Glucose is water soluble and a lot of glucose can dissolve in the blood because it is a more compact molecule and can form more hydrogen bonds. Therefore in order for enough Cholesterol to dissolve to be carried in the blood its water solubility needs to be increased, here by binding it to a carrier protein.

Hope this helps.

You're very smart thank you very much! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alltimesarah
You're very smart thank you very much! :biggrin:

It's probably more to do with me having practiced A-Level Bio and Chem questions to death over the past two years than intellect but I'm glad I could help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending