The Student Room Group

For people with more than 8 A*s

Scroll to see replies

I got 7A* and 2 As and I messed around for most of the time at home but I did pay attention at school. Also, I pretty much just read through the entire chemistry textbook like 48 hours before the exam and I didn't even look at geography and 1 was 1 mark off an A*. I'm not trying to show off or anything but you don't have to be a genius to do well at GCSE, A level though, it's a lot more work :tongue:
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Depends on how 'smart' you are and how fast you can absorb information.

Say that you focused in lesson, I mean really focus. Like finish everything you do in lesson and do extra would that be okay, with no outside revision apart from past papers?
I got 9 A*'s and am a very sociable person (I would like to think so anyway)

Erm I do about 1-2 hours a night, don't really work that hard at school to be honest but I'm trying to get better at that, especially for A2's this year! :smile:

I have a girlfriend and loads of mates which I manage to balance with school work so I would say yes, it is possible to be intelligent and sociable at the same time! :smile:
Original post by rangu2011
Can a person be a genius and yet be social?

Can a person be smart and yet have an all rounded life?

NOW IF YOU ARE GOOD TIME MANAGERS:

1. How much hours of revision do you do daily (honestly) ?
2. How do you make up time for Socializing?
3. Do you sleep during the day?

People express their views and lets get in discussion!

gcse are correlated with IQ

smart people study as much as normal people,
Reply 84
I would offer advice, but I only got 7A*s so I'm not a genius :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by Destiel <3
Say that you focused in lesson, I mean really focus. Like finish everything you do in lesson and do extra would that be okay, with no outside revision apart from past papers?

Aren't you doing your A-Levels now?
Reply 86

Owwww, I only got 7 A*:frown:, but I did get 4 A's too:smile:.
Worked like a looney 3-4 hours most nights, went out a bit
Can't really ever sleep in, doesn't matter what time I go to bed I'm up 9.00ish.
Aren't you doing your A-Levels now?

Yeah, have you seen of my threads lool. Was only asking as I was considering to pick some gcses in my gap year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Yeah, have you seen of my threads lool. Was only asking as I was considering to pick some gcses in my gap year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't get 8A*s at GCSEs. lol. Though I did get 2A*2A's at A-Level.
I didn't get 8A*s at GCSEs. lol. Though I did get 2A*2A's at A-Level.

Oh right, gj :smile:

I know a levels are far more important but how far are gcses taken into account - assuming you get the minimum grade for your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All UK exams are mainly testing how good you are at exams. So if you're good under pressure you automatically do better than most people. It is not a measure of intelligence by any stretch.

I had a all rounded life, gamed a lot... Did about I'd say on average 5 hours revision in total (throughout the whole year) for every exam in GCSE. I slept during the day because I slept late but it's always better for productivity the other way round.

Work hard and you can get what grades you want it's as simple as. Saying this I know someone with 16A*s and they didn't do a whole lot of revision.
Reply 91
Oh right, gj :smile:

I know a levels are far more important but how far are gcses taken into account - assuming you get the minimum grade for your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I am aware for most courses (except for medicine, dentistry, veterinary at most universities) they did not ask me for a specific number of GCSE A*s. I know that UCL wants at least a C in a modern language GCSE. Universities usually do not write on their websites that they are looking for a specific number of A*s at GCSEs. However, for some competitive courses at universities, such as Oxbridge and maybe Durham they may be giving some credit to GCSEs. In the link provided you can see that Cambridge judges your grades in relation to your school. http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html I honestly think that GCSE scores are useless in most cases as long as you meet basic English, science and maths requirements.
Reply 92
Original post by F1Addict
Having at least 8A*s does not make you a genius.

How doesn't it make you a genius? Near damn impossible.
As far as I am aware for most courses (except for medicine, dentistry, veterinary at most universities) they did not ask me for a specific number of GCSE A*s. I know that UCL wants at least a C in a modern language GCSE. Universities usually do not write on their websites that they are looking for a specific number of A*s at GCSEs. However, for some competitive courses at universities, such as Oxbridge and maybe Durham they may be giving some credit to GCSEs. In the link provided you can see that Cambridge judges your grades in relation to your school. http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html I honestly think that GCSE scores are useless in most cases as long as you meet basic English, science and maths requirements.

Ah right thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending