The Student Room Group
Reply 8860
Original post by Arunthathy
Sorry I though you were talking about gcse not a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um, I was talking about my GCSEs previously, and I didn't get a B or a C in any of them (but I did at AS). So why did you quote me saying 'well the B and C let you down'?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8861
I got 9A* and 2B in my gcse. I am interested in doing Biology at Oxford but I'm also interested in doing medicine. Which do you guys think is harder to get in?
Also English is my second language so I got 2Bs in Language and literature!

THANKS
Reply 8862
Original post by alexSH
I got 9A* and 2B in my gcse. I am interested in doing Biology at Oxford but I'm also interested in doing medicine. Which do you guys think is harder to get in?
Also English is my second language so I got 2Bs in Language and literature!

THANKS

The stats say 3.6 applicants per place for biology and 9.7 for medicine (incidentally, it's not the highest, as Maths and Stats have 12.7 apps per place) but ultimately it's your own decision. Regarding English you should be alright, as a B is their minimum accepted grade, but your overall GCSE profile is actually above average - 81% A*s compared to 70%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8863
Original post by Krollo
The stats say 3.6 applicants per place for biology and 9.7 for medicine (incidentally, it's not the highest, as Maths and Stats have 12.7 apps per place) but ultimately it's your own decision. Regarding English you should be alright, as a B is their minimum accepted grade, but your overall GCSE profile is actually above average - 81% A*s compared to 70%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thanks. I meant medicine at any other unis but biology at Oxford.
Original post by aiko777
i do think your results are quite impressive but i think you should not say that you are very pleased because there are people who got lower results how do you make them feel if with 7A* you say you are not pleased frankly you come across slightly arrogant

Could i apply for medicine at kings college london with 3A* 5A and 1B?
Original post by Miladrises
Could i apply for medicine at kings college london with 3A* 5A and 1B?

personally i think you should work really hard on your a levels so you have all chances on your side and definitely apply
hope i was of any help:smile:
Original post by Ani97
Did anyone do WJEC English literature here? If so, how did you find the exams? Those are the exams I found to be the worst!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by tess_rach
It actually wasn't too bad - I was surprised I answered an empathy question though, but the other essay question was just too dreadful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I liked it!

Unit 2, About a Boy and An Inspector Calls!

Hey can you remember what the poems were for the unseen poetry, and what the question was for of mice and men if you did that
Original post by toluluque
Hey can you remember what the poems were for the unseen poetry, and what the question was for of mice and men if you did that

I did mine in January sorry. And I did TKaM
Reply 8869
Original post by toluluque

Of Mice And Men:
Extract was when Crooks was telling Lennie about his childhood. Question was about how Crooks is portrayed.
The main questions were "what is Curley's importance to the novel" and the other I'm not sure, I think it was about how an atmosphere of fear is created ir something.

Unseen poems were:
Yew Tree Guest House by Phoebe Hesketh
In the Basement of a Goodwill Store by Ted Kooser
Question was the usual comparison.

I'm fairly sure these were the questions, but they might be slightly off. Hope I've been of some use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aiko777
personally i think you should work really hard on your a levels so you have all chances on your side and definitely apply
hope i was of any help:smile:

Are you tellong me my grades are crap?
Original post by Miladrises
Are you tellong me my grades are crap?

I don't think he is but in a pool of medicine applicants, those results may be considered average or maybe below average

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8872
My first post here!
I got 2 a*'s, 6 a's, 1 b, 3 c's and a merit. I was a mark of from getting an a* in chemistry as I got 259 marks in total (260 is an a*) so it kinda put me down a bit since I want to go into medicine.

I took 3 sciences and got 3 a - core, additional and chemistry (they never let me do triple science award for some reason so once I finished double award I was bored and wanted to do a chemistry GCSE)
Would you think it matters if I got no A stars in science if I want to go to uni for medicine? Or are some uni's more leniant regarding GCSE's and don't care if you got either an A or an A*?
Original post by avfcfan
My first post here!
I got 2 a*'s, 6 a's, 1 b, 3 c's and a merit. I was a mark of from getting an a* in chemistry as I got 259 marks in total (260 is an a*) so it kinda put me down a bit since I want to go into medicine.

I took 3 sciences and got 3 a - core, additional and chemistry (they never let me do triple science award for some reason so once I finished double award I was bored and wanted to do a chemistry GCSE)
Would you think it matters if I got no A stars in science if I want to go to uni for medicine? Or are some uni's more leniant regarding GCSE's and don't care if you got either an A or an A*?

It depends where you are thinking of going, I personally think your grades are great but medicine is a very competitive course with quite high entry requirements. For example I think Oxford medicine candidates have an average of like 8-10 A* at GCSE and like 3A*+ at A- Level but that's for Oxford
Do universities look at your gcse grades when applying to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8875
Original post by RSmith1007
It depends where you are thinking of going, I personally think your grades are great but medicine is a very competitive course with quite high entry requirements. For example I think Oxford medicine candidates have an average of like 8-10 A* at GCSE and like 3A*+ at A- Level but that's for Oxford

Yeh I see what youre saying. It will depend on the uni I go to but I don't mind how highly ranked the uni is as long as they do medicine. For uni's like southampton, to do medicine I read you'll need atleast 7 a's but I fear that people with much higher grades are going to apply giving me little a chance.
Does it also matter what secondary school/ 6 form you go to?
I had the chance to go to handsworth grammar but chose cadbury college instead so will that leave me in regret? I fear that going to a grammar 6 form may have edged my chances a bit, but at the end of the day I guess its about your academic progress and what a levels you get
Original post by avfcfan
Yeh I see what youre saying. It will depend on the uni I go to but I don't mind how highly ranked the uni is as long as they do medicine. For uni's like southampton, to do medicine I read you'll need atleast 7 a's but I fear that people with much higher grades are going to apply giving me little a chance.
Does it also matter what secondary school/ 6 form you go to?
I had the chance to go to handsworth grammar but chose cadbury college instead so will that leave me in regret? I fear that going to a grammar 6 form may have edged my chances a bit, but at the end of the day I guess its about your academic progress and what a levels you get

I don't really think it matters too much what school you go to, I think they do consider, say if you were to get a bit lower than the entry requirements but you went to a not so good school they may still consider you due to this. However getting the grades is most important and what school you go to has little or no importance I think.
Original post by lovepeace
Do universities look at your gcse grades when applying to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will all look at GCSE's but some put more wight on them than others, Oxford University put a huge weight on GCSE's but most other universities just ask for a C in English and Maths or it may differ depending on the course you're looking at for example and accounting course at Nottingham Trent university asks for a B in Maths
Reply 8878
I don't really think it matters too much what school you go to, I think they do consider, say if you were to get a bit lower than the entry requirements but you went to a not so good school they may still consider you due to this. However getting the grades is most important and what school you go to has little or no importance I think.

Thanks for clearing that up mate
They will all look at GCSE's but some put more wight on them than others, Oxford University put a huge weight on GCSE's but most other universities just ask for a C in English and Maths or it may differ depending on the course you're looking at for example and accounting course at Nottingham Trent university asks for a B in Maths

At the moment im in my 1st year of doing travel and tourism level 3 btec and would like to go to uni when I would apply would they look at my results they are not great I failed 2 subjects got c in 4 subjects a b in 1 subject and a pass in science but when I was about to do the exams I had a family berevebce would my grades count against me when I apply for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest