The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex-Torres
Shall I start C3 past papers or get ahead on Mechanics?

I'd do mechanics for sure :cool:

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Why am I spending my Saturday just scrolling through the old exam threads I posted in? Its really sad to think that this is our last year of A-levels, I still feel like I just started yesterday

Reminiscing is good! :yep:
Sad?! I can't wait for this year to end :biggrin: Travelling here I come :daydreaming: But of course I will miss school, just not the exams :lol:

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Does anyone here currently have 4G? If so, is it worth the extra cost/hassle?

I would stay with 3G that's what I'm doing cba to change. It is a lot of hassle and doesn't seem to be doing much for my friend :erm:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Oh nice :tongue:

Currently? I have a Blackberry Bold 9900... meh. £5 more per month for 4G (on 02), same data allowance. Doesn't sound like much but it's over a 24 month period.

Definitely not! I hate BBs :colonhash:

I suggest buying a PAYG Phone and a SIM Only Contract.

O2 are so expensive though, I'd change networks... And that's a lot imo, and as you say, over 2 years that's £120
For the medics: what are the main differences between the BMAT and UKCAT? In terms of difficulty, content etc. Just curious.
Original post by Endless Blue
For the medics: what are the main differences between the BMAT and UKCAT? In terms of difficulty, content etc. Just curious.

Not a medic but...

BMAT is the harder one required by the likes of Oxbridge and that.

It includes maths/science sections and essays and actually structured in terms of set areas.

UKCAT is comprised of 5 (I think) areas such as verbal reasoning. It's easier and you get individual scores and an average.

Although I'll let a medic confirm and explain!

Hiya :smile:

Difficultly wise it will depend on your own personal feelings but I will give you my opinion :smile:

Ukcat -
5 sections, required for all but a few unis
Verbal reasoning - big blocks of text you have to pull info from
Quantitative reasoning - the mathsy one
Abstract reasoning - the weird patterns one
Decision analysis - codes

You get your score immediately after, can be taken any time over a few months

BMAT -
3 sections, required by imperial, UCL, Oxbridge and soon Leeds
- aptitude and skills
- science and application
- short essay

Sat on first Wednesday of November (usually) - results a few weeks later

In my opinion (this may changed after I take the BMAT on Wednesday) I find ukcat harder because it's just...odd.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by g.k.galloway

Difficultly wise it will depend on your own personal feelings but I will give you my opinion :smile:

Ukcat -

BMAT -
- aptitude and skills
- short essay

In my opinion (this may changed after I take the BMAT on Wednesday) I find ukcat harder because it's just...odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, thanks for the info. :smile: I just noticed in your sig that you got a very good UKCAT score, though (I think). It's the highest I've seen this cycle, at least. :tongue: I'm sure things bode well then for the BMAT. :biggrin: Good luck.
Original post by lucine.B

Reminiscing is good! :yep:
Sad?! I can't wait for this year to end :biggrin: Travelling here I come :daydreaming: But of course I will miss school, just not the exams :lol:

Aww where are you travelling? At least you have something to look forward to :tongue: I'm still job hunting because I hate tutoring :tongue:
Original post by g.k.galloway

Ukcat -

BMAT -
- aptitude and skills
- short essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Naughty, you forgot about situational judgment :tongue:
Aww where are you travelling? At least you have something to look forward to :tongue: I'm still job hunting because I hate tutoring :tongue:

Various places :tongue: did I not tell you??? I'm taking a gap year :biggrin: I'll tell you more later too much to type right now haha. But you have uni to look forward to :tongue: Mmm I guess, aww I love it! But I have various jobs...right now I'm looking for retail XD Why do you hate it???
That's actually pretty cool. I do want to do it :tongue: so I'll talk to my bio teacher on Monday about it. Do you know what I'd have to do, like to do it and stuff?

I honestly haven't a clue, I need to ask my teacher! I think lilGem did it, I'm not too sure though. I remember her speaking about it last year. Anyways, how's your A2s going? :smile:
Various places :tongue: did I not tell you??? I'm taking a gap year :biggrin: I'll tell you more later too much to type right now haha. But you have uni to look forward to :tongue: Mmm I guess, aww I love it! But I have various jobs...right now I'm looking for retail XD Why do you hate it???

Look forward to hearing about it :biggrin: well I have to get an offer first :tongue: how do you have so many? Can't find any decent ones around my area. I hate it mainly because I don't think I'm good at it :redface:
Original post by justanotherindigo
I honestly haven't a clue, I need to ask my teacher! I think lilGem did it, I'm not too sure though. I remember her speaking about it last year. Anyways, how's your A2s going? :smile:

Fair enough :smile: I'll ask her about it if I ever see her on here. A2s are alright so far, not doing great but not going too bad. How about you?
Look forward to hearing about it :biggrin: well I have to get an offer first :tongue: how do you have so many? Can't find any decent ones around my area. I hate it mainly because I don't think I'm good at it :redface:

Koolies :h: Haha I'm sure you will dw about that :tongue: Its like a varied. Ones a mentor role, one is working at a head office and the other is working with partners (all for the same company btw XD). As for tutoring I teach primary school kids so its cool, and their grades seem to be good so I dunno...really want a retail job though :redface:
I'm sure you are, have their grades improved, have they told you your good/ bad???
Koolies :h: Haha I'm sure you will dw about that :tongue: Its like a varied. Ones a mentor role, one is working at a head office and the other is working with partners (all for the same company btw XD). As for tutoring I teach primary school kids so its cool, and their grades seem to be good so I dunno...really want a retail job though :redface:
I'm sure you are, have their grades improved, have they told you your good/ bad???

Hopefully :smile: that's pretty decent though, and if its at the same place, its convenient as well. Primary school kids are so cute, I did work experience at one once and it was just the darndest thing. They're exams start on Monday :tongue: they tell me that they get things when I explain it, but its when there are topics that I don't really know how to explain
Hopefully :smile: that's pretty decent though, and if its at the same place, its convenient as well. Primary school kids are so cute, I did work experience at one once and it was just the darndest thing. They're exams start on Monday :tongue: they tell me that they get things when I explain it, but its when there are topics that I don't really know how to explain

Mmm, yeah its quite nice! IKR! I love 'em just the sweetest hehe, enjoy looking after them and that :h: Oh I see. Yeah it can be difficult at times esp. since each kid learns differently. but honestly dw about it I'm sure your good! :smile: I guess if you don't like it though then yeah look out for other things you'll feel better doing.
Mmm, yeah its quite nice! IKR! I love 'em just the sweetest hehe, enjoy looking after them and that :h: Oh I see. Yeah it can be difficult at times esp. since each kid learns differently. but honestly dw about it I'm sure your good! :smile: I guess if you don't like it though then yeah look out for other things you'll feel better doing.

They really are. Year 4s are when they lose their innocence I think. Thank you :smile: I'll stick to it for a bit longer and see how it goes, its not really as bad as I'm probably making it out to be, I do actually like doing it
They really are. Year 4s are when they lose their innocence I think. Thank you :smile: I'll stick to it for a bit longer and see how it goes, its not really as bad as I'm probably making it out to be, I do actually like doing it

Haha yes, I think its when I lost mine anyways XD :lol: still cuuuute though! :smile:
Anytime! :h: Mmm, yeah exactly. Aww haha that's great then, always do what you enjoy :smile: that's the only way hehe.
Haha yes, I think its when I lost mine anyways XD :lol: still cuuuute though! :smile:
Anytime! :h: Mmm, yeah exactly. Aww haha that's great then, always do what you enjoy :smile: that's the only way hehe.

Haha :mmm:
Very true :biggrin:
Anyone do LNAT?
Original post by Blueray2
Anyone do LNAT?

Yes. Why? :smile:
Yes. Why? :smile:

Just wondering, as you're the only person that seems to have done it here! :biggrin: What does the test comprise of? Why isn't it instant marked like UKCAT?

Naughty, you forgot about situational judgment :tongue:

I don't think it's really being considered this year - it wasn't even in the results report!

Cool, thanks for the info. :smile: I just noticed in your sig that you got a very good UKCAT score, though (I think). It's the highest I've seen this cycle, at least. :tongue: I'm sure things bode well then for the BMAT. :biggrin: Good luck.

No problem. :smile: I was quite happy but there are lots of people that have done much better than me :smile:

Latest