The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

third option in a Psych and Neuroscience degree

Hi!
I've recieved a conditional offer from Glasgow to study Psychology and Neuroscience, which I'm really delighted about - but I am slightly confused about the third subject I will be studying. On the website for the uni it says that in a Neuroscience degree you have to study Chemistry/Science fundamentals alongside Neuroscience, and you can choose a third subject from arts/sciences/social sciences. Will this be the case for me? Because I despise chemistry more than anything in the world...
Thanks to anyone who can help out. :smile:
Original post by skinnybooks
Hi!
I've recieved a conditional offer from Glasgow to study Psychology and Neuroscience, which I'm really delighted about - but I am slightly confused about the third subject I will be studying. On the website for the uni it says that in a Neuroscience degree you have to study Chemistry/Science fundamentals alongside Neuroscience, and you can choose a third subject from arts/sciences/social sciences. Will this be the case for me? Because I despise chemistry more than anything in the world...
Thanks to anyone who can help out. :smile:

In your first year you'll take Psychology, Biology and then either Chemistry or Science Fundamentals - if you have Higher Chem at a B(I think it's Chemistry at A Level for those outside Scotland) or above, you should be taking Chemistry, if not then you'll take Science Fundamentals.
I had a B in Higher chemistry, and started Advanced Higher but dropped it halfway through, I did 3 weeks of Chemistry in my first year, but really wasn't happy with it at all! So I was able to switch to Science Fundamentals, which I have to say was pretty easy, it's small blocks of chemistry, maths and physics, and it really covered all the basics. (And in the maths I really do mean basics, there was addition and subtraction during the first week, and I have a Higher A in maths!)
I'm currently a 4th year in Anatomy, so if you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer =)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by kirsten1992
In your first year you'll take Psychology, Biology and then either Chemistry or Science Fundamentals - if you have Higher Chem at a B(I think it's Chemistry at A Level for those outside Scotland) or above, you should be taking Chemistry, if not then you'll take Science Fundamentals.
I had a B in Higher chemistry, and started Advanced Higher but dropped it halfway through, I did 3 weeks of Chemistry in my first year, but really wasn't happy with it at all! So I was able to switch to Science Fundamentals, which I have to say was pretty easy, it's small blocks of chemistry, maths and physics, and it really covered all the basics. (And in the maths I really do mean basics, there was addition and subtraction during the first week, and I have a Higher A in maths!)
I'm currently a 4th year in Anatomy, so if you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer =)

Thanks so muchfor your help, I get it now :smile: Just out of interest, how were the subjects spread out in your timetable in first year? Like what proportion of your week would be taken up doing science fundamentals etc? And how did you find the biology in years one and two in general?
Original post by skinnybooks
Thanks so muchfor your help, I get it now :smile: Just out of interest, how were the subjects spread out in your timetable in first year? Like what proportion of your week would be taken up doing science fundamentals etc? And how did you find the biology in years one and two in general?

There were 1hr lectures every day for Biology and Science Fundamentals and there was a choice of 2 times for each, then you'll also have a 3hr lab for Biology every week.
1st year was good, it covered a range of topics, like genetics, immunology, reproduction, plant biology etc. At some points I thought it was quite a lot to take in, but looking back I realise it wasn't that bad and no more than we had at school really!
2nd year you choose smaller modules which are more specifically related to the 3rd and 4th years of University, for these there were 2 lectures a week and a lab every so often depending on the subject. I preferred this a lot more to first year as I could study the topics I was more interested in, so I chose more human related classes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending