The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aj12
I think the answer to that is obvious.

Yet he can't explain how westminsters economic policy is beneficial to the south. East to the detriment of elsewhere.

If you look at it the south east wants to lower taxes to promote economic growth which it can't do anymore as there's government spending that needs to Nepalis for, whilst north wants increased taxes to increase public spending.

The SNP have advocated tax cuts and increased public spending. Basically, the SNP is after access to a givernment credit card and overdraft.

So come on Maths Tutor, can you please explain to me how westminsters economic policy holds us back.
Our share of the national debt is already included in the fiscal calculations, so the BT camp are scaremongering that tax will go up, expenditure will be cut, etc, in the event of independence.
Original post by Choo.choo
Our share of the national debt is already included in the fiscal calculations, so the BT camp are scaremongering that tax will go up, expenditure will be cut, etc, in the event of independence.

It isn't really the BT campaign that are saying that. Independent observers are saying it and teh SNP is saying it in private.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee08022eec_u9m6vd74f.pdf
Reply 4103

Oh damn it, I was hoping you'd explain the transition/setup of a new Scotland.

Actually its related to what you've just said. Part of the question was about cost. The Scottish Parliament building cost approx £400m. How much would it cost to setup independent Govt departments and how might that be financed?

But the exam question is still how long will it take to create a Scottish benefits system (as an example).
Original post by Quady
Oh damn it, I was hoping you'd explain the transition/setup of a new Scotland.

Actually its related to what you've just said. Part of the question was about cost. The Scottish Parliament building cost approx £400m. How much would it cost to setup independent Govt departments and how might that be financed?

But the exam question is still how long will it take to create a Scottish benefits system (as an example).

Alex Salmond is a smart man; I am sure he will have it all worked out.
Original post by MatureStudent36
It isn't really the BT campaign that are saying that. Independent observers are saying it and teh SNP is saying it in private.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee08022eec_u9m6vd74f.pdf

You sound like Johann Lamont.
Alex Salmond is a smart man; I am sure he will have it all worked out.

His answer to everything is oil and the Scottish Government figures on the Scottish deficit play up oil very heavily. He has openly lied to the public over so many issues, and misrepresented oil income so often that he can't be trusted to 'have it all worked out'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
His answer to everything is oil and the Scottish Government figures on the Scottish deficit play up oil very heavily. He has openly lied to the public over so many issues, and misrepresented oil income so often that he can't be trusted to 'have it all worked out'.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Midlander, the oil is a bonus.
Salmond is marmite; you either love him or hate him, and clearly you hate him.
Midlander, the oil is a bonus.
Salmond is marmite; you either love him or hate him, and clearly you hate him.

The oil isn't a bonus. Salmond has staked everything on it and even then he's got it wrong.
The oil isn't a bonus. Salmond has staked everything on it and even then he's got it wrong.

Why do you even bother to post on these threads? You talk absolute nonsense.
I suggest you find a new hobby; something more constructive to do with your time.
You mean Westminster has staked everything on the oil and have got it wrong; even Alistair Darling has admitted that the UK government has wasted this money.
Reply 4110
Original post by Maths Tutor

From the horse's mouth: Danny Alexander is scaremongering!

Has "the MPC in the Bank of England" said that "Scotland won't he allowed a currency.union.with the UK"?

Provide a link if it has.

You're genuinely simple. As anyone with a single grain of understanding in this area knows, entering a currency union is not within the remit of the Bank of England.

The Chancellor has already said he sees it as extremely unlikely that such a currency union would be in the interests of the UK - the recent actions of the Scottish government have gone even further to entrench that position. There is no realistic possibility of it happening.

Scaremongering? I hope so. I'd be afraid if I thought Scotland would be a separate state. You should be too.

Rubbish. The case made is that a separate state would have different costs of governing itself, harm business and will be susceptible to the huge fluctuations of the commodities markets.

If the best you can do is call that 'scaremongering' then the people of Scotland have every right to fear people with your mindset getting anywhere near the fiscal levers of this nation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4111

You mean Westminster has staked everything on the oil and have got it wrong; even Alistair Darling has admitted that the UK government has wasted this money.

A straightforward lie.

As to the main point, MatureStudent is perfectly correct. The SNP have previously called this a 'bonus' - it isn't. It's what's keeping our heads almost above water when we're running a very large deficit. That's not true on a UK level, where it accounts for a small fraction of national income. On a Scottish level, it is very significant - and Salmond's plans clearly don't add up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Also, in response to the job losses that the scaremonging BT camp are proposing in the event of independence, they did not know that an independent Scotland is proposing that an Arms Conversion Agency be established to oversee the creation of alternative employment.
Original post by L i b
A straightforward lie.

Go and do some research before you respond to posts.
Alistair Darling has publicly admitted this.
Original post by L i b
A straightforward lie.

As to the main point, MatureStudent is perfectly correct. The SNP have previously called this a 'bonus' - it isn't. It's what's keeping our heads almost above water when we're running a very large deficit. That's not true on a UK level, where it accounts for a small fraction of national income. On a Scottish level, it is very significant - and Salmond's plans clearly don't add up.

Alex Salmond is an economist; if you compare his background with that of George Osbourne, you will find out who should be trusted more with the economy.
And do not reply with your nonsense that it is George Osbourne. You are wrong.
Also, in response to the job losses that the scaremonging BT camp are proposing in the event of independence, they did not know that an independent Scotland is proposing that an Arms Conversion Agency be established to oversee the creation of alternative employment.

The SNP have promised many, many things. You're example is just another example. A few months ago it was a straightforward case of there would be no negative impact. Now you're saying that there's an Arms conversion Agency and yesterday Nicola Sturgeon was stating that the Admiralty work that keeps the Clyde going would carry on as usual. So what is it. No impact, or some impact?
Reply 4116

He has not. Never. It's simply a lie.

It's also astoundingly ignorant. The UK spent its oil wealth on public services and infrastructure, which laid the foundations for the modern British economy - not to mention keeping taxes lower and encouraging growth. It has served us well.
The SNP have promised many, many things. You're example is just another example. A few months ago it was a straightforward case of there would be no negative impact. Now you're saying that there's an Arms conversion Agency and yesterday Nicola Sturgeon was stating that the Admiralty work that keeps the Clyde going would carry on as usual. So what is it. No impact, or some impact?

The UK government have a diabolical economic model. It has cost the loss of 9,000 jobs over a period of about 25 years.
Wait for the White Paper.

How?

The elctorate sisn't want an oil fund. The concept of an oil fund is something relativley new.

Anyway, it's academic. That's gone now, and with the SNPs promises of feckless spending in teh future it's unlikely to ever be the case.

I understand why some countries have oil funds. They've got a dicey future with their homegrown industries and need to plan for when the oil goes.

The UK though has never needed that due to it's diverse and large industrial and service sector.
Original post by L i b
He has not. Never. It's simply a lie.

It's also astoundingly ignorant. The UK spent its oil wealth on public services and infrastructure, which laid the foundations for the modern British economy - not to mention keeping taxes lower and encouraging growth. It has served us well.

What utter rubbish. The UK Government have squandered every last penny of the money they have raised for the treasury coffers. Most of the money is spent in SE England.

Latest

Trending

Trending