The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
A2 Japanese is killing me. :frown:

Does anyone know if there is vocabulary list for A-level Japanese? Or alternatively, what JLPT level it's roughly working at (I think most of it is JLPT N3, but I'm not sure), and if there a vocab list for that level?

I'm just scared that it'll be the fact I don't know basic words that will trip me up. :frown:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Paramore

I did Edexcel AS / A2 Japanese and it was so difficult. If you want an A*/A, you don't need to concentrate specifically on vocabulary. You just need to bang out two sick essays and recall some specific things about your researched topic. Memorise your literature essay(s) and hopefully you'll get lucky. There's too much to learn! I did Japanese as a 4th subject and it's safe to say it took up 75% of my time!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2502
おはよう、皆様!

New to the site in general actually, joined mostly for advice on taking the JP GCSE. It seems a fair few people take it here which is awesome! JP isn't offered anywhere where I am, so I've been self learning since Y9 (though I didn't even get slightly serious and learn much beyond kana and basic tenses till Y10)

A series of sites I'm sure many of you may love are those in the Tofugu series. They have a blog, and a variety of other teaching resources.

Anyway, I hope we can all succeed at our goals!
hello, I'm doing French and Japanese and my year abroad will be spent in Japan, however I have no idea which area of Japan to go for. Here is a list of partner unis I can choose from:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/study-abroad/UEAabroad/destinations/japan

I really don't know which area of Japan to go for. I'd like somehwre with good transport links, a good night life, plenty to do and see during the day etc... I'm thinking potentially Tokyo but not 100%...

any help would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Paramore<3

Does anyone know if there is vocabulary list for A-level Japanese? Or alternatively, what JLPT level it's roughly working at (I think most of it is JLPT N3, but I'm not sure), and if there a vocab list for that level?

I'm just scared that it'll be the fact I don't know basic words that will trip me up. :frown:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's JLPT N3 がんばって
Reply 2505
Original post by Kaylaleigh
hello, I'm doing French and Japanese and my year abroad will be spent in Japan, however I have no idea which area of Japan to go for. Here is a list of partner unis I can choose from:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/study-abroad/UEAabroad/destinations/japan

I really don't know which area of Japan to go for. I'd like somehwre with good transport links, a good night life, plenty to do and see during the day etc... I'm thinking potentially Tokyo but not 100%...

any help would be appreciated :smile:

I can't say that I have any experience with this, but I have a friend who's also preparing for her year abroad too, and Waseda is her favourite - seems to be a very good choice. Slap bang in the middle of Tokyo. It looks like a lovely campus too! I think I'd keen to be in Tokyo if I was out there. :colondollar: Tokyo living expenses are quite high compared to the rest of the country (I can actually vouch for that with experience, haha!), but it's do-able - and I suppose that both institutions might be able to help you financially?

This doesn't sound very helpful, but just throwing my two cents in! It must be so exciting to be thinking about it. :smile:
I can't say that I have any experience with this, but I have a friend who's also preparing for her year abroad too, and Waseda is her favourite - seems to be a very good choice. Slap bang in the middle of Tokyo. It looks like a lovely campus too! I think I'd keen to be in Tokyo if I was out there. :colondollar: Tokyo living expenses are quite high compared to the rest of the country (I can actually vouch for that with experience, haha!), but it's do-able - and I suppose that both institutions might be able to help you financially?

This doesn't sound very helpful, but just throwing my two cents in! It must be so exciting to be thinking about it. :smile:

Waseda was one of my favourites too :biggrin: That and Gakushuin and Meiji...all in the Tokyo areas. I was kinda veering towards toyo anyway I think. Fingers crossed that my current uni provides some support, I don't know if it might vary based on income but I get grants etc anyway due to low income so fingers crossed haha
Reply 2507
Original post by shakeaway

I did Edexcel AS / A2 Japanese and it was so difficult. If you want an A*/A, you don't need to concentrate specifically on vocabulary. You just need to bang out two sick essays and recall some specific things about your researched topic. Memorise your literature essay(s) and hopefully you'll get lucky. There's too much to learn! I did Japanese as a 4th subject and it's safe to say it took up 75% of my time!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops, just seen this! Hmm, fair enough. Yep, I'm going to have to concentrate on rewriting those essays forever! I know, it takes up all my time too. :frown:

Original post by maths learner
it's JLPT N3 がんばって

Thought as much... makes me feel like I'm working at not a bad level! :smile: ありがとうございます~

Original post by Kaylaleigh
Waseda was one of my favourites too :biggrin: That and Gakushuin and Meiji...all in the Tokyo areas. I was kinda veering towards toyo anyway I think. Fingers crossed that my current uni provides some support, I don't know if it might vary based on income but I get grants etc anyway due to low income so fingers crossed haha

Fair enough, probably the best place to be really! :smile: Ah, there we go then, I'm sure there'll be something. 頑張ってね^^
(edited 10 years ago)
Whoops, just seen this! Hmm, fair enough. Yep, I'm going to have to concentrate on rewriting those essays forever! I know, it takes up all my time too. :frown:

Thought as much... makes me feel like I'm working at not a bad level! :smile: ありがとうございます~

Fair enough, probably the best place to be really! :smile: Ah, there we go then, I'm sure there'll be something. 頑張ってね^^

日本語練習するしなくてとだめもっと :)。
Reply 2509
Hi, I've only just joined this site so I'll probably make a pigs ear of this so sorry in advance. I've been learning Japanese for about three years and I recently took the N5 examination in Japanese. I have a knowledge of Kanji just into N4 and I know vocabulary into the basics of N4 and my grammar hasn't passed N5 as of yet. I've based all of my learning around the JLPT and I've been learning with a website called renshuu.

初めまして皆、がんばってね。
大晦日皆さん
Reply 2511
大晦日はもう とっくに過ぎたよw
Just wondering what kind of Japanese level you guys are at, how long it took you and what's your method of study?
Reply 2513
Original post by Adam7918
Just wondering what kind of Japanese level you guys are at,

taking normal undergrad classes at a uni in japan right now.

how long it took you

been going for 5 years or so

and what's your method of study?

from the start, mostly just immersion (watching lots of japanese TV, reading lots of japanese, etc), and chatting to japanese friends on skype.
Reply 2514
Original post by Ash S
taking normal undergrad classes at a uni in japan right now.

Are you on exchange from a UK university? If so, which one? If you don't mind me asking.
Reply 2515
Original post by BWCW

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Watch some anime say Rasengan and relax :cool:
Reply 2516
Hi!
I'm Japanese lived in Tokyo for about 12 years
I can speak Japanese :smile:
Original post by Decotte
Hi!
I'm Japanese lived in Tokyo for about 12 years
I can speak Japanese :smile:

おはよう