The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm, but I think there is more importance on your reasoning and methodical approach in getting to the answer. They expect you to be a little nervous and they want someone likeable and someone that they can teach - not a poncey 'know it all'' that has been to the best schools who has lived a spoon fed life. I was surprised by how down to earth the undergraduates and professors were in comparison to the candidates who felt they deserved nothing less than Cambridge, some of whom had only applied to Cambridge because they wouldn't accept any other offers!! Some of the undergraduates were telling me how their interview did not go so well, but even if you think you might have flopped the first a little bit (like any reasonable smart kid could), they rely on AS levels, examination tests, GCSE's, personal statement, reference, and contextual factors like where you live, do your parents go to uni and esp how highly ranked your current school is - in my case, bottom 40 % !
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by NedStark
Received an offer for Bsc Economics today. 7 weeks into my 5 week email. I'm especially surprised as I thought my GCSE's would hold me back.

What are your GCSEs like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The-Illusionist
What are your GCSEs like?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a bit different as my school made it compulsory to take a vocational IT qualification which is equivalent to 3 GCSE grades according to my head of year and teachers. However every university I emailed said they disregard. LSE never replied but I assume they wouldn't accept it if the others didn't.

So 5A* 4A 1B and 3 distinctions (equiv to 3A*). I'd say it's 8A* but others would say 5A*.
Reply 2923
Did anyone get an offer EIGHT weeks after the 5 week email? I am starting to lose hope as today is my 7th week...
Reply 2924
No news today despite being told I'd hear this week. Looks like a rejection tomorrow for me.

I guess 4A*s just isn't enough for them..
Original post by deatheater4134
Hmmm, but I think there is more importance on your reasoning and methodical approach in getting to the answer. They expect you to be a little nervous and they want someone likeable and someone that they can teach - not a poncey 'know it all'' that has been to the best schools who has lived a spoon fed life. I was surprised by how down to earth the undergraduates and professors were in comparison to the candidates who felt they deserved nothing less than Cambridge, some of whom had only applied to Cambridge because they wouldn't accept any other offers!! Some of the undergraduates were telling me how their interview did not go so well, but even if you think you might have flopped the first a little bit (like any reasonable smart kid could), they rely on AS levels, examination tests, GCSE's, personal statement, reference, and contextual factors like where you live, do your parents go to uni and esp how highly ranked your current school is - in my case, bottom 40 % !

You sir/madam, have just made me feel a lot better and I thank you for it, but it's best for me to just not expect an offer so when I don't get one I don't feel too bad.

But you are right about how down to earth most undergraduates were at Cambridge, most of them were so helpful, I remember a couple of girls I talked to in the common room at my college (which I applied to) at Cambridge and they were so down to earth and when I was staying over that night a couple of first year's living across my room just came to me and said if I wanted a cup of coffee and that If I needed anything then I shouldn't hesitate asking them and then they just tried to make me feel welcome even though they didn't need to, this is probably why they deserve to be in Cambridge.

I seriously hope that they do look at my school, this year we achieved the best AS results but from the year above us only like 5 people went to Russel Group uni's (out of 150) and over the last 5 years only 3 people have been to oxford and cambridge (one of which went through the summer pool as he/she didn't achieve their grade requirements).
Got an offer for economics today! Really happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Congrats! What were your UMS like, if you don't mind me asking?

Have you heard anything yet or had an offer?
Original post by josiejo1970
Have you heard anything yet or had an offer?

Yes I got an offer today aswell!
Original post by kiirankapoor
Got an offer for economics today! Really happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!!! LSE has given out offers to a lot of people today, does anyone think that they must have decided this a long time ago and not just today otherwise how on earth could they have made all these decisions in a day.
Original post by TerribleTej
Congratulations!!! LSE has given out offers to a lot of people today, does anyone think that they must have decided this a long time ago and not just today otherwise how on earth could they have made all these decisions in a day.

Possibly, they do send it in batches. A lot of people have received offers though and I'm wondering if they think they'll be oversubscribed next year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Possibly, they do send it in batches. A lot of people have received offers though and I'm wondering if they think they'll be oversubscribed next year.

Yeah but we think that because a lot of people from TSR have received offers, a lot of people will go to Cambridge or Oxford, a few will go to UCL/Warwick while a few may not make the offer either.
Original post by TerribleTej
Yeah but we think that because a lot of people from TSR have received offers, a lot of people will go to Cambridge or Oxford, a few will go to UCL/Warwick while a few may not make the offer either.

That's true, TSR isn't a fair representation of all the applicants, the majority of people here tend to be at the top end of the spectrum.
Original post by AH244
congratulations!!how long had you waited?

did you find out via email or ucas :smile:
Does the admissions department close during xmas?
Original post by nightfalcon2

yes they do, I remember someone mentioning it but I don't know where it is
Reply 2936
Original post by nightfalcon2

Someone on the thread said that they would close on the 20th. :smile:
I reckon there's gonna be LOADS of rejections tomorrow
Reply 2938
Received an offer for Bsc Economics today. 7 weeks into my 5 week email. I'm especially surprised as I thought my GCSE's would hold me back.

What were your GCSE's? I had the same worry so applied for straight Economics at UCL and then Economic Hist with Eco at LSE as a back up.
Reply 2939
Original post by Brain25
Offer today for BA Geography at LSE!

Congratulations :smile: when did you send your application (waiting on the same course!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending