The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

I'm a 1st year student at Nottingham Trent studying Marketing! Ask me anything!

Living in Gill Street at the moment. Ask anything about freshers, courses, where the nearest pub is haha or just anything in general :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bringu
Living in Gill Street at the moment. Ask anything about freshers, courses, where the nearest pub is haha or just anything in general :smile:

trent is likely to be my insurance choice, however id still like to know a couple thing

- is the course interesting
- what is the workload like
- how is actual university life
- what are nights out/in like (pub/clubs/parties)
- how good was freshers and why

sorry if its too much ahahah, thanks
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Mandizzle
trent is likely to be my insurance choice, however id still like to know a couple thing

- is the course interesting
- what is the workload like
- how is actual university life
- what are nights out/in like (pub/clubs/parties)
- how good was freshers and why

sorry if its too much ahahah, thanks

Don't worry about it lol.

The marketing course for the first year is okay. You're gonna have 6 modules based on how to run a business. So you have;

- Accounting and Finance for Managers (The worst of the lot, extremely boring. i.e. working capital ratios and balance sheets)
- Business Information System and Quantitative System (Talking about how information is used in a business and how it can be manipulated to benefit a business i.e. EPOS systems for marketing research)
- Entrepreneurship and Professional Development (You'll be using a program called SimVenture. Have a go at it, its basically Sims but you control a business.)
- Foundations of Managing and Organizing (Motivational theories, Rationalisation and Bureaucracy)
- Fundamentals of Marketing (General notion of advertising)
- Marketing Environment (Looking at the macro and micro environment of businesses)

Workload for this term has been easy, you really don't need to put much effort to pass and achieve a low third. And since first year doesn't count to your actual degree, its a breeze. HOWEVER if you're doing a placement, its important to do good and achieve a 2:1 or First.

Nightlife is amazing, Mondays and Fridays is at Forum which is basically your bread and butter club. Chart music, cheap drinks, 2 mins away from uni and is always busy. Tuesday and Thursday is Ocean this is great since it has so many different rooms with different genres of music, its massive. Wednesdays are the best, because its the sports social night. Everyone dresses according to their sports society's chosen theme i.e. geeks, hippies, superheroes. Everyone dresses up even if they aren't in a sports society. It's a huge pile of fun and mess. Saturdays and maybe Fridays is the SU. By day the SU is a canteen and a place to just chill out, but on nights out the place is converted to a club. Great nights here, but can get really busy fast.

Freshers was the best weekend of my life. Every night was themed, so for example one day it was Beach wear, then it was Trent Army, Cops and Robbers. Fresher reps knock on your day on this weekend and tell you where predrinks are and where to go. You meet new people, go to the club early, and leave late. This happens for 7 days straight. No one has any lessons, only a few inductions so its just nuts.

University life is whatever you want it to be.
Reply 3
I'm applying to do marketing at Trent also, how competitive would you say the course is
Reply 4
Would you recommend gill street? I'm stuck between there and Simpsons.

Is it right that when you book accommodation you choose the exact flat and room etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Shaun96
I'm applying to do marketing at Trent also, how competitive would you say the course is

As of the first year, its quite competitive. Everyones aiming for a first or high 2:1 because if you're going for the placement in the third year, the employees will be able to measure your skills with the grades that you get in that year.
Reply 6
Original post by Redrose90
Would you recommend gill street? I'm stuck between there and Simpsons.

Is it right that when you book accommodation you choose the exact flat and room etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't vouch for simpsons, but Gill Street North is very lively. Some flats are 6 bed, some are 8 beds. If you're a extroverted person definitely aim for the 8 beds since there's more people, more space and there's two stoves, two fridge/freezers and two sinks as opposed to the single ones you get in the 6 bed. Yeah, you chose the exact block, flat and room. I recommend that if you do go for Gill Street choose F block since its the closest to the entrance and the laundry facilities are in the same block. Also F block is known to be the party block :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bringu
As of the first year, its quite competitive. Everyones aiming for a first or high 2:1 because if you're going for the placement in the third year, the employees will be able to measure your skills with the grades that you get in that year.

ok thank you, and how big are your classes uually
Reply 8
Original post by Shaun96
ok thank you, and how big are your classes uually

Common modules such as 'Accounting' and 'Foundations of Managing and Organising' will have lectures of 150 - 200 people. Marketing specific modules will have lectures of 35 - 50. Then you have seminar groups which consist of 10 - 15 people.
Reply 9
Original post by bringu
Common modules such as 'Accounting' and 'Foundations of Managing and Organising' will have lectures of 150 - 200 people. Marketing specific modules will have lectures of 35 - 50. Then you have seminar groups which consist of 10 - 15 people.

Ok thank you
Reply 10
Which halls do you recommend that includes an en suite bathroom per person, shared kitchen and lounge and will still maintain a great party atmosphere with all students?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending