The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
When those bigots feed off your defence? Stocks and stones may break my bones etc.

the best way to deal with them is to sit back and watch them destroyed next September.

I couldn't care less if they feed off it-they have to be called out for what they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatureStudent36
Our country? Do I get a say in this?

I don't particularly feel that the SNP have guided us particularly well. They've told more lies than Blair. That's some track record.

The SNP have lied. I guide you to the following video, my dear sir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veuWO-jwpnQ
Original post by JackThommo
Scottish people should be able to make decisions about their own country without being overruled and imposed on by West Minster, end of discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here here.
Original post by Good bloke
You think she is lying when she says the IFS has said that Scotland would find it considerably more difficult to fulfil its state pensions requirements than it would if it was to remain part of the UK, then?

She is a Tory. That says it all. She is biased towards the union. What about the debt payments and interest on top of that, included in the fiscal calculations that Scotland has to pay thanks to Westminster running up so much debt? What about if Scotland did not have any debt to pay? Would Scotland still not be able to afford to go it alone? What about the other similar sized countries (in population) to Scotland which have become successful independent countries?
And don't say Ireland and Iceland are bankrupt - it is actually very much easier to sort problems they have had when you are a nation of 5 million people than a nation of 50million people. Iceland have sorted their financial problems much quicker than the UK, and do not intend to impose an austerity package on the people of their society who are least able to afford it. You are also forgetting that the power of independence enables Scotland to grow its economy - something that will never happen as part of the "union".
This article says much about some businesses' thoughts on independence and the bullying attitude of the nationalists towards those who are off-message:

It also confirms that food prices in Scotland are effectively subsidised by the supermarkets' policy of having the same prices throughout the UK, even though costs are higher north of the border - another of the hidden subsidies that I've mentioned before and which people don't believe exist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25300398

Another scary story. No surprises there. What about the fact that food prices have been increasing year on year in the union, but wages have stagnated? What about the 11% pay rise that Westminster MP's were going to get, and yet there are ordinary citizens who have been fighting their employers for several years to even get a 1% rise in pay?
Reply 4605
Original post by Choo.choo
Another scary story. No surprises there. What about the fact that food prices have been increasing year on year in the union, but wages have stagnated? What about the 11% pay rise that Westminster MP's were going to get, and yet there are ordinary citizens who have been fighting their employers for several years to even get a 1% rise in pay?

What about the wages in Independent Ireland over the same period? :P
Original post by Aj12
I think if it got independence it would be one of those middling struggling countries. It would't collapse but I really doubt it would do well at all and would need to either raise taxes or gut services since its public spending is so high. The entire Independence project is based on oil and gas and some noises towards renewable energy, would't surprise me if an independent Scotland ended up suffering from Dutch disease. Although I suppose they do have the whisky industry going for them

Sounds a lot like Ireland oi oi :rolleyes:

But ye Salmond is racist bigot who is using Scotland's working class's hate for English people for his campaign...No good can come of this for both sides... Also the UK would have to change its flag "_" [video="youtube;FIKI7ArSvlY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKI7ArSvlY[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4607
She is a Tory. That says it all. She is biased towards the union. What about the debt payments and interest on top of that, included in the fiscal calculations that Scotland has to pay thanks to Westminster running up so much debt? What about if Scotland did not have any debt to pay? Would Scotland still not be able to afford to go it alone? What about the other similar sized countries (in population) to Scotland which have become successful independent countries?
And don't say Ireland and Iceland are bankrupt - it is actually very much easier to sort problems they have had when you are a nation of 5 million people than a nation of 50million people. Iceland have sorted their financial problems much quicker than the UK, and do not intend to impose an austerity package on the people of their society who are least able to afford it. You are also forgetting that the power of independence enables Scotland to grow its economy - something that will never happen as part of the "union".

It all comes back to currency again doesn't it?
Iceland were able to default as they weren't in a currency union.
Original post by Quady
It all comes back to currency again doesn't it?
Iceland were able to default as they weren't in a currency union.

The arguments for a currency union have been put forward several times, which we are probably now tired of hearing.
I think that, eventually, Scotland will adopt its own currency, when it is in the interests of Scotland to do so. We will get to a point where a currency union is no longer sustainable.
Reply 4609
The arguments for a currency union have been put forward several times, which we are probably now tired of hearing.
I think that, eventually, Scotland will adopt its own currency, when it is in the interests of Scotland to do so. We will get to a point where a currency union is no longer sustainable.

I wasn't suggesting discussing the merits or otherwise of currency unions (be it Sterling or Euro).

Just that using Iceland as an example is incompatable with one as their strategy of defaulting wouldn't be possible. Admittedly that would probably be the point the currency union breaks, a new independent currency is taken up and then default occurs.
. You are also forgetting that the power of independence enables Scotland to grow its economy - something that will never happen as part of the "union".

At the expensive of the rUK? Seems more like a race to the bottom. :biggrin: I do hope border controls enable Scotland to grow its economy :wink:
Original post by cuckoo99

But ye Salmond is racist bigot who is using Scotland's working class's hate for English people for his campaign..

Proof? It's insulting and arrogant to suggest that the Scottish can't think for themselves.

Also the UK would have to change its flag

That's all arguments supporting independence thrown out the window then.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well well...trust finds BBC Scotland guilty of breaking guidelines over EU indy story

I wonder if any of the msm outlets will cover this story. Why am I paying for misrepresented news?
Original post by cowsforsale
Well well...trust finds BBC Scotland guilty of breaking guidelines over EU indy story

I wonder if any of the msm outlets will cover this story. Why am I paying for misrepresented news?

You've quoted Newsnet Scotland as a source. It's the same as somebody quoting the BNP website as a reliable independant source when they're involved in a debate about Judaism/Immigration/Islam.

Why am I sensing that this will never be verified elsewhere? Why am I sensing that it's made up stuff again?
(edited 10 years ago)

Well seeing as the SNP want to drive us into Europe (wityhout any form of referendum) I think it's fair to say that that currency will be called the Euro.
(edited 10 years ago)
Another scary story. No surprises there. What about the fact that food prices have been increasing year on year in the union

, but wages have stagnated? What about the 11% pay rise that Westminster MP's were going to get, and yet there are ordinary citizens who have been fighting their employers for several years to even get a 1% rise in pay?

Food Prices

UK Food Prices.png

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/243770/foodpocketbook-2013report-19sep13.pdf

Food prices have recently seen a slight increase over the past few years. But to say that they have continually been driven up over the last 300 years is mere scaremongering. As you can see, food prices are 20% lower than what they were in the 1980s.

I'm unsure what point you're trying to make here. Are you trying to imply that Scotland is somehow being penalised and it's only our food prices that have gone up?

Food prices have continually lowered, except for a recent up turn in the past few years. Partially down to the finacial crash of 2008 and partially down to increased energy prices being driven by Countrys like China and India expanding.

FoodPries&PolulationGrowth.png

To imjply that somewhow this trend would be different if Scotland were to break away from teh UK is laughable at best, and a down right lie at worst.

MSPs wages are inextricablly linked with MPs wages. If you're that bothered about the 11% 'proposed' payrise, then you need to make sure that you keep an eye on what you're local MSP will be doing.

Just a bit of background for you though. An independant body was set up to look at MPs salaries. They have proposed an 11% increase in salary with a reduction in pensions. So actually there's very little increase or decrease.

Yes, 'Some'peoples salaries have stagnated. And they are mainly within the public sector. Currently, there's we're in a situation where by more money is spent than is drawn in through tax receipts. The gap is made up by something called borrowing. This is where you borrow money that you don't have and you have to pay it back with interest. Now if we're in a position called a recession by many. That means tax receipts go down and more money has to be borrowed. Therefore the only way to continually give the public sector more money isto borrow more money.

The situation I have explained has been going on for some time and is getting pretty much unsustainable. As one day, you have to pay the money back. It's a shocking fact that a lot of politicians and members of the public don't actually look out too far. *

*Incidentally, I don't actually know anybody who hasn't received at least 2% a year pay rise over the last 5 years.
(edited 10 years ago)

I don't follow her logic. The article you linked (and I shall rely on it entirely) says the then Irish European Minister Lucinda Creighton (in a broadcast interview) told interviewer Raymond Buchanan

that she believed a newly independent Scotland would have to apply for EU membership and that this process could be lengthy

Another interview showed Scottish Secretary Michael Moore saying

that a newly independent Scotland would find itself out of the EU having to negotiate its way back in.

These seem to me to be identical views (and represent the truth). Correct me if you think they differ materially.

Yet Creighton then complains, saying that BBC coverage

gave the misleading impression that Ms Creighton thought an independent Scotland would be forced to leave the EU and would then have to negotiate its way back in from outside

when in fact, according to the report linked, she did say that.

She was clearly trying to address two different audiences. :rolleyes:
Proof? It's insulting and arrogant to suggest that the Scottish can't think for themselves.

1. Proposing to charge RUK students in an independent Scotland which is part of the EU.

2. Never referring to Wales or NI when slating the union.

3. Holding the referendum in the year of the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn.

Make no mistake that the Yes campaign is full of bigots. Even more moderate Yes voters still perpetuate stereotypes of English people being more conservatively minded, less socially aware and so on-that is genuinely insulting and shows total ignorance on the nationalist side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is all twaddle. When Scotland signed up to the union it was to reap the financial and political benefits of union with England-which it got in total abundance, especially in Glasgow, when the empire gathered pace. You now wish that Scotland can have its tab ripped up and have the rest of us foot the bill to help fund Salmondtopia. This is totally nonsensical.

Iceland owe billions to the UK government but have weasled out of paying it. How do you propose Scotland suddenly inflate its bank balance to the tune of billions which it loses every year? Do you think that officially discriminating against English university students because they're English will make the blindest bit of difference?

It won't. Salmond is pressing hard for a sterling zone because he knows that Scotland can't go completely on its own without the RUK as insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't follow her logic. The article you linked (and I shall rely on it entirely) says the then Irish European Minister Lucinda Creighton (in a broadcast interview) told interviewer Raymond Buchanan

Another interview showed Scottish Secretary Michael Moore saying

These seem to me to be identical views (and represent the truth). Correct me if you think they differ materially.

Yet Creighton then complains, saying that BBC coverage

when in fact, according to the report linked, she did say that.

She was clearly trying to address two different audiences. :rolleyes:

The poster failed to mention news articles such as these from earlier in the year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9830478/SNP-go-on-attack-against-BBC-Scotland-over-EU-interview.html

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-21195630

Latest

Trending

Trending