The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3660
Original post by Zürich
Thiago was attainable but they've blown their cash on attacking players they didnt always need.

Why buy Alex Song and no CB? It's crazy

Allegedly Wenger convinced the board that Song could play as CB :laugh: That explains it

Yeah, the whole transfer policy has been extremely stupid for years. Too much spending on unnecessary big names (do Barcelona even have scouts? probably not), too little long-term planning and too much loyalty for homegrown players... (no harm in keeping legends like Puyol but to start into the season without a replacement for him while he can barely play 2 games in a row...)

Original post by Surf
Yes, but they have got away with it due to the pressing game for the last two years. Where is the pressing tonight?

There are plenty of good defenders out there that are achievable. They may not be Thiago Silva standard......

Tbf the pressing has been lacking ever since Pep left. And back then Piqué was good because he had Puyol ordering him around and shouting at him if he made mistakes. Piqué needs orders or motivation to perform well, with a youngster like Bartra he doesn't have that. A new CB would be 4th choice but he would be crucial because competition would be bigger and Piqué wouldn't have that "showing up is enough" attitude.

I agree about defenders, but tell that to the board. They go after players once they're unattainable or too expensive, or are **** but have a big name (Luiz).

Martino is strange, he rotates in crucial matches like today and risks losing them. But in big games he has gotten the tactics right so far (clásico, City), also, he gets the best out of many players and rotates quite well. Not sure what to make of him. I like him overall, but he seems to have brainfarts like today.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Thiago was attainable but they've blown their cash on attacking players they didnt always need.

Why buy Alex Song and no CB? It's crazy

As far as im aware Barca put on offer on the table for Silva, Milan were willing to negotiate a deal then PSG came in with a massive double offer for Silva and Ibra. Can sort of understand why they didnt get him, but to get no one for the last 2 years is pretty shocking.

The Anoeta is a very tough ground to go to and Barca did just play away at the Etihad on Tuesday, but you'd still expect them to do better.
Reply 3662
Original post by qua
Allegedly Wenger convinced the board that Song could play as CB :laugh: That explains it

Yeah, the whole transfer policy has been extremely stupid for years. Too much spending on unnecessary big names (do Barcelona even have scouts? probably not), too little long-term planning and too much loyalty for homegrown players... (no harm in keeping legends like Puyol but to start into the season without a replacement for him while he can barely play 2 games in a row...)

It does seem ridiculous. The board must be royally gullible, buy a PROPER defender.... hell if I keep dreaming about the ideal defender, maybe it will come true!

The transfers they do are seriously flawed; and there is too much stuff on big names - why not buy an up and coming defender? There are a few in Serie A that they could have got.... I understand the homegrown players situation - because if you don't play them, more will probably leave the club, and Barça's best players undoubtably come through the youth system.
Reply 3663
Original post by CB91
As far as im aware Barca put on offer on the table for Silva, Milan were willing to negotiate a deal then PSG came in with a massive double offer for Silva and Ibra. Can sort of understand why they didnt get him, but to get no one for the last 2 years is pretty shocking.

The Anoeta is a very tough ground to go to and Barca did just play away at the Etihad on Tuesday, but you'd still expect them to do better.

**** sake, so angry I missed this match.

Nothing better than watching my most hated team getting beat by my second team. :sogood:

Going to watch the full 90mins and smile in excellence though.

Barca ain't won at our ground since 2007. I criticized arrasate at the start of the season, but he's done a great job after losing illaramendi. Griezmann and Pardo in particular this season have been great. I'd have taken him over Salah any day of the week. If they keep that core, add a striker and a bit of depth in key positions, they can do what Atlético have done.

So that's Madrid in front. I don't know who will win the league though. It's gonna just go down to that final game of the season if I'm being honest.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3664
Original post by CB91

Yes, I understand why he rotated coming from the Etihad and a lot of players having been overused, but the Anotea is a strange ground to do it.

Original post by Surf
It does seem ridiculous. The board must be royally gullible, buy a PROPER defender.... hell if I keep dreaming about the ideal defender, maybe it will come true!

The transfers they do are seriously flawed; and there is too much stuff on big names - why not buy an up and coming defender? There are a few in Serie A that they could have got.... I understand the homegrown players situation - because if you don't play them, more will probably leave the club, and Barça's best players undoubtably come through the youth system.

As I said, Barcelona's scouting department is not exactly brilliant.

Talking about defenders, Bartra is a bright talent and is likely to have a great future, so I guess he and Piqué will be the new first-choice duo. But still, ideally one should have 4 CBs - Mascherano is not a real CB and Puyol will retire. Ideally hey should sell Song, move Mascherano to DM and buy one good and one lesser known, low-profile CB for rotation and to keep competition healthy. Perhaps Martino will do that, don't really know how he behaves on the transfer market.

Bartomeu announced 4-5 signings, but he has done that last season too.
As I've said before, Messi is overrated. These are the games he should be scoring 3 goals in.

Oh well, he had his fame.

Now Ronaldo is back after his 3 game ban, He will catch up with messi in goals scored in 2014, despite playing less games.
Original post by qua
Yes, I understand why he rotated coming from the Etihad and a lot of players having been overused, but the Anotea is a strange ground to do it.

Talking about defenders, Bartra is a bright talent and is likely to have a great future, so I guess he and Piqué will be the new first-choice duo. But still, ideally one should have 4 CBs - Mascherano is not a real CB and Puyol will retire. Ideally hey should sell Song, move Mascherano to DM and buy one good and one lesser known, low-profile CB for rotation and to keep competition healthy. Perhaps Martino will do that, don't really know how he behaves on the transfer market.

Strange time to rotate indeed, especially when we have a weeks break then Almeria at home. Could have easily played a full strength team tonight.

If we could get Luiz or Hummels we'd be sorted tbh. Just please God no more small CB's, I still shudder thinking about when Puyol and Masch were at CB together.
Reply 3667
Original post by qua

Clearly I can see the logic in rotating the squad. But at the same time this is Barcelona, and they should be doing better. It's not like they put Barça B on the pitch - 3-1 is not an acceptable scoreline.

Some of it is due to the positioning of the players - they follow the ball like a magnet, when they should follow the player running into the box - don't turn your back on the forward! That is basic defending, so I have no idea what they are doing in training. You know, if I can see it they should be able to as well. I find it surprising that the whole defense makes the same errors over and over.... do they not review the matches and attempt to fix the problems?

TBH though I think Bartra is one of our best defenders, and they can no longer rely on Puyol. Pique looks distracted, and slow most of the time (although he did decent against City, as did Mascherano). So that would be my priority in the summer transfer window.
Reply 3668
Original post by Pistol 33
As I've said before, Messi is overrated. These are the games he should be scoring 3 goals in.

Oh well, he had his fame.

Now Ronaldo is back after his 3 game ban, He will catch up with messi in goals scored in 2014, despite playing less games.

Except he hasn't scored from open play in a month. His 3 game ban has nothing to do with his bad form.
Reply 3669
Original post by CB91
Strange time to rotate indeed, especially when we have a weeks break then Almeria at home. Could have easily played a full strength team tonight.

If we could get Luiz or Hummels we'd be sorted tbh. Just please God no more small CB's, I still shudder thinking about when Puyol and Masch were at CB together.

Hummels and Luiz, really? Neither complement Pique well at all. Personally, I think a CB partnership of Luiz/Pique or Hummel/Pique would be disastrous. Barcelona need a defender that is good positionally with organisational qualities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3670
I'd ship Luiz on a plane to you guys and buy Toni Kroos and another Gary Cahill straight up.

Luiz is dodgy. Will suit your style of play and at times can be a leader, but his aerial ability leaves a lot to be desired, if you want to complain about Pique brainfarts too, Luiz and Pique will be a diabolical pairing. So many goals will be conceded.
lol at people saying Messi is overrated.

fdghddfg
Original post by trrr
Hummels and Luiz, really? Neither complement Pique well at all. Personally, I think a CB partnership of Luiz/Pique or Hummel/Pique would be disastrous. Barcelona need a defender that is good positionally with organisational qualities.

I disagree, despite Pique's size he can tend to be pushed about a bit. We need someone next to him that can bully the strikers about and be dominant in the air whilst being very good on the ball. Obviously Silva is the stand out candidate but Luiz and Hummels arent far behind.
Reply 3673
Original post by CB91

Tata's decisions are really strange sometimes. At times he looks clueless, but then he comes up with unconventional line-ups for big games and gets them completely right. I like him, overall, but he sometimes seems as if he's not really familiar with la liga or the teams.

Yeah, some heigth is desperately needed... can't be that we concede after every corner or set piece. I've reached a point where I'm happy about anyone coming in, even if it's Luiz (although I don't rate him at all). Hummels would be great but getting him, this summer, is next to impossible.

Original post by Surf
Clearly I can see the logic in rotating the squad. But at the same time this is Barcelona, and they should be doing better. It's not like they put Barça B on the pitch - 3-1 is not an acceptable scoreline.

Some of it is due to the positioning of the players - they follow the ball like a magnet, when they should follow the player running into the box - don't turn your back on the forward! That is basic defending, so I have no idea what they are doing in training. You know, if I can see it they should be able to as well. I find it surprising that the whole defense makes the same errors over and over.... do they not review the matches and attempt to fix the problems?

TBH though I think Bartra is one of our best defenders, and they can no longer rely on Puyol. Pique looks distracted, and slow most of the time (although he did decent against City, as did Mascherano). So that would be my priority in the summer transfer window.

Are you a Barça fan?

The problem was in midfield today. Song and Busi don't work together. Tata didn't make the crucial changes until after they had scored 3 goals when it was too late and the players lost their concentration. That Song/Busi combo along with RB/WB rotated and the fact that the Anotea is an impossible ground to got to - that explains things tbf.

Yeah, as I said Piqué is a big game performer. Mascherano is dirty and makes a lot of mistakes but he too shows up in big games. A CB (along with ter Stegen) has to be the priority in summer, and I can't imagine they won't go for one - but then again nothing would surprise me with this board.

A few things might change if the board will be reelected in the summer though, which could happen now that the Neymar contract trouble continues.
aha barca **** as normal
Original post by Malevolent
Bale scored an absolute beauty.

Haha, bow down before the awesome power of the capital.

On to the treble we go.
Reply 3676
Original post by qua
Tata's decisions are really strange sometimes. At times he looks clueless, but then he comes up with unconventional line-ups for big games and gets them completely right. I like him, overall, but he sometimes seems as if he's not really familiar with la liga or the teams.

Yeah, some heigth is desperately needed... can't be that we concede after every corner or set piece. I've reached a point where I'm happy about anyone coming in, even if it's Luiz (although I don't rate him at all). Hummels would be great but getting him, this summer, is next to impossible.

Are you a Barça fan?

The problem was in midfield today. Song and Busi don't work together. Tata didn't make the crucial changes until after they had scored 3 goals when it was too late and the players lost their concentration. That Song/Busi combo along with RB/WB rotated and the fact that the Anotea is an impossible ground to got to - that explains things tbf.

Yeah, as I said Piqué is a big game performer. Mascherano is dirty and makes a lot of mistakes but he too shows up in big games. A CB (along with ter Stegen) has to be the priority in summer, and I can't imagine they won't go for one - but then again nothing would surprise me with this board.

A few things might change if the board will be reelected in the summer though, which could happen now that the Neymar contract trouble continues.

No I'm not... I enjoy watching them....Are you?

Song/Busquets would never work. For a start - I don't feel that Song has the type of touch that is Barça-standard; and he is basically a substitute for Busquets. I still can't fathom why he was started in this particular game with other key changes being made. Everyone knows from the stats that this ground is a difficult place to go to. Why that starting line-up? I appreciate Martino and his transfer policy - I think it is a good thing, and better than Vilanova last year - with every starting line-up being the same each time; it gives other players a chance to play.

I what you say is true, and they both turn up in big games, then a CB is even more important, because consistency is crucial for winning the league. So they need someone who performs week-in, week-out. And I wouldn't hold your breath with the CB, there has been talk of one for years!

Hell, it was a pretty terrible match for Barça and Real Sociedad played well - so not a good combo for Barça - but crucial for Sociedad if they want to hold onto Griezmann!
Original post by qua
Except he hasn't scored from open play in a month. His 3 game ban has nothing to do with his bad form.

When ronaldo scores a penalty=penaldo
When Messi scores a penalty=Legend is back.

City game for example.

Messi unable to do anything all game but ends up scoring. How ? A penalty, if it wasn't for that unfair penalty, he would have not scored.
Original post by Pistol 33
When ronaldo scores a penalty=penaldo
When Messi scores a penalty=Legend is back.

City game for example.

Messi unable to do anything all game but ends up scoring. How ? A penalty, if it wasn't for that unfair penalty, he would have not scored.

How is earning a perfectly legit penalty not doing anything? and if he wasn't brought down then yes he probably would have scored because when 1 on 1 with the keeper, messi rarely misses.
Bartra and Pique dont make a good partnership judging from tomorrow's game.But,the fact remains that,the last time we won against sociedad at away was during 2007.Tata should have considered that and we're basically always sh** at away.Our best line up should have been on the pitch yesterday.

1st goal was a result of poor marking by song
2nd goal was mistake by Pique.He should have been marking Griezmann.
I dont know wtf happened in the 3rd goal..

Why are you people underrating Puyol?He's been decent in every match he's played.If he was playing yesterday I'm certain we would have either won or drawn.He always gives it his all and doest not make silly mistakes like Pique-Masch...

Barca should give up tikitaka and start playing counterattacking football.Give up the ball more....

Latest