The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Choo.choo
Actually, the polls did, inaccurately, predict Labour to win the Scottish election in 2011. The SNP won a landslide.

http://www.scotlandvotes.com/holyrood/opinion-polls

This is a list of the opinion polls before the Holyrood elections. What you notice is that the closer to the election we got, the more opinion polls predicting an SNP victory. The polls predicted an SNP victory and that is what we got. Like L i b has suggested, you are either lying or totally mistaken.

That sounds like the UK Government you are describing. They spend at least £100billion more than it takes in tax, creating a deficit. Scotland has a deficit of something like £7billion. You don't think that independence would enable the Scottish Government to close that gap?

Part of the UK deficit is spent on Scotland. Consider that the Scottish benefit from the defence and foreign and commonwealth budgets just the same as those in England. Consider that the massive bank bailouts primarily benefited Scotland. This is not exhaustive, but when you make comments like these, you must consider alternative methods that Scotland has benefited from.

Why on earth do we have foodbanks in a rich country like Scotland.

Why not ask the Germans? As a share of the population, Germany has more foodbanks than Britain.

x.

Genuine question: Are you a 14-year old mouthpiece for the SNP?
Reply 6561
Actually, the polls did, inaccurately, predict Labour to win the Scottish election in 2011. The SNP won a landslide.

You are right that governments often make poor decisions, if that is what you are implying here. I do not think the Scottish Government will make the same decisions as a Westminster Government. Scotland badly needs investment, as I have already said.

That sounds like the UK Government you are describing. They spend at least £100billion more than it takes in tax, creating a deficit. Scotland has a deficit of something like £7billion. You don't think that independence would enable the Scottish Government to close that gap?

Child poverty is an example of the damage that the UK Government are doing. Why on earth do we have foodbanks in a rich country like Scotland. Scotland, if outside the UK, would be 6th on the OECD. As part of the UK, it goes down to 17. Ridiculous. Independence all the way.

These are a bit incompatible thingsyou know...
Original post by Quady
These are a bit incompatible thingsyou know...

So they should cut things then? Take a leaf out of Westminster's book?
You need to spend money to make money, do you not? Isn't that how investment works? Investment that generates income of course.
Reply 6563
So they should cut things then? Take a leaf out of Westminster's book?
You need to spend money to make money, do you not? Isn't that how investment works? Investment that generates income of course.

I didn't say that, just pointing out they are mutually exclusive.

Investment does (if int he right things blah, blah, blah) yes. But that only happens after five+ years.

In the meantime the deficit is larger.

I was just pointing out you can't have your cake and eat it.

I don't know what type of investment you were thinking of, but it could be collosal. You can pour £30m+ into a subsection Govanhill and it will only scatch the surface.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/32m-bid-to-end-slum-hell-in-glasgows-govanhill-144324n.22824353
(edited 10 years ago)
Bad thing for England, good thing for Scotland outside of some orange bigots from Glasgow.

You are drivelling. The polls clearly predicted an SNP victory from a month before the election.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_in_the_Scottish_Parliament_election,_2011
Original post by DOM Alpha Badboy
Bad thing for England, good thing for Scotland outside of some orange bigots from Glasgow.

Why is England tantamount to RUK? Was Sturgeon your geography teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Why is England tantamount to RUK? Was Sturgeon your geography teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did I say England was tantamount to the rest of the UK?
Why are you against independence? Independence is the best thing that could happen to Scotland. Why do you think the union works? Why are the London elite so keen to hang onto Scotland? Why don't they just let us go? Westminster only want to hang onto Scotland for one reason: money.

You feel that its the best thing for Scotland. Fortunately most if us realise that it won't.

At 53% supporting the union, there must be an awful lot of orange bigots in Glasgow.

(From a catholic from Edinburgh. Care to try and offend anybody else who disagrees with your minority viewpoint?)
The rest of Britain would be buggered, Scotland holds a lot of Labour voters. As much as I hate Labour, I do not want the Tories to have an advantage.
Original post by MatureStudent36
At 53% supporting the union, there must be an awful lot of orange bigots in Glasgow.

(From a catholic from Edinburgh. Care to try and offend anybody else who disagrees with your minority viewpoint?)

Maturestudent, lib and midlander. You guys seem to be spamming the thread. Insecure are we?

I don't listen to the results of biased polls done by 1,000 or so Scottish people. I'll wait till the result comes out, thanks.

You are right that governments often make poor decisions, if that is what you are implying here. I do not think the Scottish Government will make the same decisions as a Westminster Government. Scotland badly needs investment, as I have already said.

Child poverty is an example of the damage that the UK Government are doing. Why on earth do we have foodbanks in a rich country like Scotland. Scotland, if outside the UK, would be 6th on the OECD. As part of the UK, it goes down to 17. Ridiculous. Independence all the way.

The opinion polls didn't predict anything of the sort.

Everywhere requires investment. But so far the SNPs neverendum has created an investment where investment is unlikely due to uncertainty.

Be careful of banding around SNP financial numbers. They're normally inaccurate and fail to take into account many factors. You're OECD numbers were identified to be flawed many months ago. They came from an SNP press release.
Maturestudent, lib and midlander. You guys seem to be spamming the thread. Insecure are we?

I don't listen to the results of biased polls done by 1,000 or so Scottish people. I'll wait till the result comes out, thanks.

Glad to hear you'll
Wait until the results come in?

Hopefully you'll then realise that the rubbish your spouting isn't the general concesus.

These biased polls presumably include the ones conducted on behalf of the SNP, and which unanimously predict a victory for the No campaign.
Why do you continually taunt the SNP for the length of the referendum, yet you do not criticise the no camp for not producing a White Paper on the no side? We are still waiting to hear from Labour about more devolution. Isn't it funny how it takes the possibility of home rule for Scotland, for Labour to produce more devolution?

A vote for No isn't a vote for more devolution. More devolution isn't an option being offered. If you want more power in Scotland vote Yes. A No vote is a vote for the status quo. No white paper is needed for the status quo.
Did I say England was tantamount to the rest of the UK?

You say it'd be a bad thing for England but not Wales and Northern Ireland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hj.Foster
The rest of Britain would be buggered, Scotland holds a lot of Labour voters. As much as I hate Labour, I do not want the Tories to have an advantage.

Labour has not needed Scotland to get in in the majority of its election victories. If England votes for a Labour majority then that is what the UK gets as the number of seats there dwarfs the other constituents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6578

Teaddict has adequately dealt with this.

No, I'm saying that you have in no way evidenced 'austerity'. This is because there is none and the UK is, in point of fact, spending far too much.

No, I think it would enable them to hugely inflate that gap. To quote the IFS "it is worth noting, however, that the majority of policies so far mooted by the current SNP government for after independence would cost, rather than save, money".

I think that figure would be enormously increased through a combination of poor planning, a lack of analysis of the costs of independence taking place and poor economic decisions by the SNP administration.

I'm not sure what part of this you don't understand. I've just told you child poverty decreased by 20,000 in Scotland last year. There's less of it.

Sixth what on the OCED? Based on what figures? If you're going to try and use those diddled SNP figures to make a point about GDP you should probably note that (1) Scotland's GDP now will not be its GDP in the future; (2) GDP is a poor measure of national wealth and (3) the figures used by the SNP are not remotely reliable.

So, no, it's not remotely ridiculous.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6579

This is a message forum for debate and discussion on UK politics. We are discussing UK politics. No-one has 'spammed' anything, indeed spamming would result in our posts being removed by the Moderators.

But thanks for popping in and sharing your religious bigotry. There's not much I really hope for in this ridiculous debate on "Scotland's future", but if we could just manage the basics like keeping ****ing West of Scotland sectarian rubbish from seeping into it, we might at least be able to have something decent to say about the whole episode once it's out of the way.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending