The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lethargic
I called them, which is quite a cheeky thing to do, but I was curious and it doesn't really make an impact on my application anymore so I thought why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will call Monday haha, I want to know
Reply 721
Original post by BethaneyJ
I'm really sorry guys :frown: It's horrible but remember that BM6 is one of the most competitive and oversubscribed courses in the country. For every one of you there will be about 20 others (no official figures yet). Just keep soldiering on, and research your options - of which there are lots.

I'm really sorry :frown:

Hi, suggestions plz.
i didn't get any interview from any medical school I applied to, but I have unconditional offer from biomedical chemistry from Leicester .im know for a fact that Leicester offer opportunity to transfer to their medical school, to a very limited number of exceptionally good student.
im torn between going for biomedical chemistry degree, and try medicine after first year of degree
or
take a gap year and try for next year for medical schools
please advice
kind regards
Reply 722
Original post by Nafees
Hi, suggestions plz.
i didn't get any interview from any medical school I applied to, but I have unconditional offer from biomedical chemistry from Leicester .im know for a fact that Leicester offer opportunity to transfer to their medical school, to a very limited number of exceptionally good student.
im torn between going for biomedical chemistry degree, and try medicine after first year of degree
or
take a gap year and try for next year for medical schools
please advice
kind regards

Same as this:

If you're 100% set on medicine:
I would weigh up your chances of getting in with a reapplication. And then worst case -do you think you'd get another offer from Leicester?

Then the next thing to consider is how likely you are to get into the transfer to medicine?

Compare the two and see what you think!

Graduate medicine is competitive, so it is something to consider seriously before starting a degree. A lot of people jump in without realising how hard it is to go from one degree to another.
Hi all

So the interviews will just be a normal medical interview such as the BM5 or will it be slightly different due it being foundation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 725
Same as this:

I would weigh up your chances of getting in with a reapplication. And then worst case -do you think you'd get another offer from Leicester?

Then the next thing to consider is how likely you are to get into the transfer to medicine?

Graduate medicine is competitive, so it is something to consider seriously before starting a degree. A lot of people jump in without realising how hard it is to go from one degree to another.

Hi,
Since your advice I did a bit of research and come to realization that how hard it is ,to go to medicine if you are on a another degree course.
it seems near impossible.
i think best option for me is just through myself into study and get those 3A* in a level.take a gap year and apply for next year with better ukcat.
i will always have good enough results for biomedical in Leicester so will pass the offer this year.
in the gap year will do work experience in a hospital
Reply 726
So upset. This was my last choice. Are u sure the giving out interviews are over
Reply 727
Original post by theworld
So upset. This was my last choice. Are u sure the giving out interviews are over

Hi,
thats what admissions told me on phone yesterday. Sorry :frown:
Original post by Nafees
Hi,
Since your advice I did a bit of research and come to realization that how hard it is ,to go to medicine if you are on a another degree course.
i think best option for me is just through myself into study and get those 3A* in a level.take a gap year and apply for next year with better ukcat.
i will always have good enough results for biomedical in Leicester so will pass the offer this year.

Why's it so hard to go into graduate entry medicine? Do you mean if you transfer onto it from a course or if you finish the course and then you do it? I'm thinking of doing biomedical and then hopefully applying for graduate entry medicine. :/
Original post by theworld

I know how you feel it was my last chance too. :frown:
Same as this:

What do you mean by how hard it is to go from one degree to another I'm a bit confused?
Reply 731
Original post by Nafees
Hi,
thats what admissions told me on phone yesterday. Sorry :frown:

But people were saying they're giving intervies out all week?
Original post by Nafees
Hi,

That sounds like a good idea! Research carefully where you apply as many unis do not accept resits. For BM6 as long as your a levels are okay before resits they'll still accept you. You'll need to research very carefully and think carefully when you apply.

Original post by hopefuldoctor
Why's it so hard to go into graduate entry medicine? Do you mean if you transfer onto it from a course or if you finish the course and then you do it? I'm thinking of doing biomedical and then hopefully applying for graduate entry medicine. :/

What do you mean by how hard it is to go from one degree to another I'm a bit confused?

Both. It's hard to go from doing one degree to medicine without finishing your degree. It is also hard to get into medicine as a graduate as competition for graduate places is fierce. Obviously so is undergrad, but a lot of people think that a gap year is the worst thing and that they'll get a degree and just get a place as a graduate, but don't consider how hard it can be. Graduate places are fewer and it's more competitive, and some unis that take grads onto the undergrad course also have a limit as to how many they will accept.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide

Taking a gap year means you keep graduate entry open but also all the other courses too.
Reply 733
Hi Guys,

Just for the curiosity. Is it possible that students with a lot higher grades in GCSE's, AS and predicted (than those who got the interview) does not get an interview invitation, given that they meet eligibility criteria and their PS is pretty decent ?

Thanks in advance !!
Original post by Shiam
Hi Guys,

Just for the curiosity. Is it possible that students with a lot higher grades in GCSE's, AS and predicted (than those who got the interview) does not get an interview invitation, given that they meet eligibility criteria and their PS is pretty decent ?

Thanks in advance !!

Southampton don't give preference to those with a lot higher GCSEs or AS/Predicted. Once you have shown you meet the minimum criteria of GCSEs and a levels, everyone is equal.
Could it be that I didn't get an interview because I'm re-sitting my A levels during my gap year even though I met the minimum requirements anyway meaning I've already got the BBC?
That sounds like a good idea! Research carefully where you apply as many unis do not accept resits. For BM6 as long as your a levels are okay before resits they'll still accept you. You'll need to research very carefully and think carefully when you apply.

Both. It's hard to go from doing one degree to medicine without finishing your degree. It is also hard to get into medicine as a graduate as competition for graduate places is fierce. Obviously so is undergrad, but a lot of people think that a gap year is the worst thing and that they'll get a degree and just get a place as a graduate, but don't consider how hard it can be. Graduate places are fewer and it's more competitive, and some unis that take grads onto the undergrad course also have a limit as to how many they will accept.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide

Taking a gap year means you keep graduate entry open but also all the other courses too.

Okay I get what you're saying but I think I'll have to do graduate entry medicine because I won't be able to take a second gap year as I'm in a gap year currently and taking 2 years out is just too much.
Okay I get what you're saying but I think I'll have to do graduate entry medicine because I won't be able to take a second gap year as I'm in a gap year currently and taking 2 years out is just too much.

That is quite sensible! Once you've had a gap year there is only so much you can get out of another one. Instea, taking on something new is the next step in developing your application. This advice is more for people who are fresh out of college and suddenly decide that as they've not got in they're going to go do another degree first.

While graduate entry is obviously difficult, someone has to get in. Good luck and I hope it all works out! Just kick ass at your degree! :biggrin:
Hello all, I have not received any reply at all. Should I assume I have been rejected?
That is quite sensible! Once you've had a gap year there is only so much you can get out of another one. Instea, taking on something new is the next step in developing your application. This advice is more for people who are fresh out of college and suddenly decide that as they've not got in they're going to go do another degree first.

While graduate entry is obviously difficult, someone has to get in. Good luck and I hope it all works out! Just kick ass at your degree! :biggrin:

Hi Bethaney
Just about the interviews obviously nothing specific but will it just be a normal medical interview such as the BM5 or will it be slightly different due it being foundation?

And thank you so much for your help and to the other ambassadors in being really informative and answering all the questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending