The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4160
Original post by richtea5
hey, it sucks receiving rejections so im sorry for that, but wait to hear back from all unis first and it's worth calling universities on results day to see if they'll reconsider you.

In terms of gap year I started working as a healthcare assistant in a nursing home around exam time, travelled in the summer, worked on ukcat and than my application quite a bit around September/October, worked/ prepped on interviews around christmas, now I've got an offer still working but I've arranged different bits of travel/ volunteering which will be a nice break!

any questions or ought post on here i'm sure lots of people will be happy to help!!

Yes thats definitely worth it i know mamy people who got in on results day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hl7495
I applied through voluntary services department of the hospital its really easy to get into people even volunteer for dofe and things not just medical applicants. I helped make beds and wash pts etc and took things to pharnacy and take pts up to theatre some sho's have let me do the ward round with them and if you asled i think you could worm your way in to have a sneeky peak in theatre but i was 17 when is started unfortunately... its what you make od it really you could sit around all day making tea but patients are very willing for you to learn and are so inspiring to talk to!!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into that!
hey, it sucks receiving rejections so im sorry for that, but wait to hear back from all unis first and it's worth calling universities on results day to see if they'll reconsider you.

In terms of gap year I started working as a healthcare assistant in a nursing home around exam time, travelled in the summer, worked on ukcat and than my application quite a bit around September/October, worked/ prepped on interviews around christmas, now I've got an offer still working but I've arranged different bits of travel/ volunteering which will be a nice break!

any questions or ought post on here i'm sure lots of people will be happy to help!!

Original post by hl7495
Yes thats definitely worth it i know mamy people who got in on results day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the kind words. And are you sure about the results day thing? I find it really hard to believe that a medical school can be so undersubscribed that they'd have to call up someone they've rejected! Especially given all the competition! If I am to call the medical schools, should I just call the one that only rejected me AFTER interview or shall I call them all?

Also, may I ask what you guys got in your UKCAT the first time round as well as the second time round? Thanks!
Reply 4163
Original post by FutureSurgeon
Thank you for the kind words. And are you sure about the results day thing? I find it really hard to believe that a medical school can be so undersubscribed that they'd have to call up someone they've rejected! Especially given all the competition! If I am to call the medical schools, should I just call the one that only rejected me AFTER interview or shall I call them all?

Also, may I ask what you guys got in your UKCAT the first time round as well as the second time round? Thanks!

Yes i am sure :smile: i know two people at sheffield on was rejected pre interview! Worth a try you might get lucky I think most already have a waiting list before results day so they will know if they are going to make you an offer or not so its a bit different to easier courses where you can kind of ring up anywhere.

620 first 710 band 1 second :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4164

Well, personally I think you've got nothing to lose by giving it a shot on results day - try it in the morning and celebrate for results in the afternoon. Don't get bummed out if nothing comes of it at the very least you'll be getting back into the application mind set, it does happen i've known people who've been reconsidered and gotten an offer after results day.

I just phoned were i had been rejected and a couple others. possibly places you'd applied would be best but there's no way of knowing - i think it's to do people missing the grades/ accepting other offers.

my ukcat went from 680 average to 702.5 band 1 :smile:
Reply 4165
Yes I agree, definitely call unis at least the ones you were unsuccessful at as you may be on a reserve list etc.
ukcat went from 620 to 790 Band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
I called up the medschools that rejected me last year on results day, didn't get me anywhere but it's worth a shot! It does happen for a few cases, you have nothing to lose by calling them :smile:
My UKCAT last year was 630, this year it was 790 band 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was so close from getting into Bristol last year after they rejected me. I phoned them up, and they said they will call me back as there were potential places to offer on Results day. They called me back as promised yet commenced with the words "Good morning. Unfortunately we ...." ARGH. So definitely call back. You have nothing to lose.

My UKCAT went from 607.5 to 702.5. (not as impressive as the scores above however :lol:)
Reply 4168
hello, this thread is so long that im just going to ask!! im a bit worried that i won't get an offer this year because my two interviews didn't go particularly well! i was just wondering if anyone got in this year with a grades or if an a* or two was a necessity?
Reply 4169
Hey guys, I haven't posted here because I'm not really a re-applicant in the traditional UCAS sense. I'm Irish and didn't get into any Irish medical schools last year. Anyway, I decided to take a gap year and apply to UCAS and the UK medical schools. Gap years aren't really a done thing where I'm from so many people told me I was crazy but as I sit here typing this, I have an offer from St Andrews. :biggrin: Still waiting on GKT, Belfast. Rejected from Edinburgh.

Just wanted to say, you re-applicants seem so focused and prepared for medicine. At least relative to the Irish prospective medics and to some people in the threads I've been stalking. :colone:

Wow, okay, that was really tangential.

TL; DR, HI. I'm an Irish re-applicant. I've got an offer and am f***king thrilled!
Original post by CarysE
hello, this thread is so long that im just going to ask!! im a bit worried that i won't get an offer this year because my two interviews didn't go particularly well! i was just wondering if anyone got in this year with a grades or if an a* or two was a necessity?

I've got an offer and I have 3As no A*. Only a handful require A*s
Original post by CarysE

A* is definitely not a requirement... only Oxford, Cambridge, Bham and possibly Exeter(???) ask for the A* grade. I have an offer and I got AAAB (the B was in Spanish though :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KerryMan
Hey guys, I haven't posted here because I'm not really a re-applicant in the traditional UCAS sense. I'm Irish and didn't get into any Irish medical schools last year. Anyway, I decided to take a gap year and apply to UCAS and the UK medical schools. Gap years aren't really a done thing where I'm from so many people told me I was crazy but as I sit here typing this, I have an offer from St Andrews. :biggrin: Still waiting on GKT, Belfast. Rejected from Edinburgh.

Just wanted to say, you re-applicants seem so focused and prepared for medicine. At least relative to the Irish prospective medics and to some people in the threads I've been stalking. :colone:

Wow, okay, that was really tangential.

TL; DR, HI. I'm an Irish re-applicant. I've got an offer and am f***king thrilled!

Congrats on the offer :biggrin:

It's a pretty good feeling getting an offer!
Original post by hl7495
Yes i am sure :smile: i know two people at sheffield on was rejected pre interview! Worth a try you might get lucky I think most already have a waiting list before results day so they will know if they are going to make you an offer or not so its a bit different to easier courses where you can kind of ring up anywhere.

620 first 710 band 1 second :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks! I'll definitely call them up then, just in case!
Well, personally I think you've got nothing to lose by giving it a shot on results day - try it in the morning and celebrate for results in the afternoon. Don't get bummed out if nothing comes of it at the very least you'll be getting back into the application mind set, it does happen i've known people who've been reconsidered and gotten an offer after results day.

I just phoned were i had been rejected and a couple others. possibly places you'd applied would be best but there's no way of knowing - i think it's to do people missing the grades/ accepting other offers.

my ukcat went from 680 average to 702.5 band 1 :smile:

Alright thanks! I'll definitely call them up then, just in case!
Original post by lecamel
Yes I agree, definitely call unis at least the ones you were unsuccessful at as you may be on a reserve list etc.
ukcat went from 620 to 790 Band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by itsmagic
I called up the medschools that rejected me last year on results day, didn't get me anywhere but it's worth a shot! It does happen for a few cases, you have nothing to lose by calling them :smile:
My UKCAT last year was 630, this year it was 790 band 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by frogs r everywhere
I was so close from getting into Bristol last year after they rejected me. I phoned them up, and they said they will call me back as there were potential places to offer on Results day. They called me back as promised yet commenced with the words "Good morning. Unfortunately we ...." ARGH. So definitely call back. You have nothing to lose.

My UKCAT went from 607.5 to 702.5. (not as impressive as the scores above however :lol:)

Thank you for all the info guys, I appreciate it! How were your respective gap years? Did you enjoy it? What did you do? (I'm assuming you all received offers this time right?)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4176
Original post by babychocolate
I've got an offer and I have 3As no A*. Only a handful require A*s

Original post by itsmagic
A* is definitely not a requirement... only Oxford, Cambridge, Bham and possibly Exeter(???) ask for the A* grade. I have an offer and I got AAAB (the B was in Spanish though :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god thanks!! Panicking a bit then! Congrats on your offers!
Cannot wait to sell my UKCAT and BMAT books!
Reply 4178

I emailed Sheffield and Leicester after results day last year- I hadn't even applied to either! I had an interview at Sheffield in August! I then got a rejection haha but I think that's down to not actually wanting to go there.. I hadn't even applied there and was quite set on a gap year and had already made plans etc so wasn't that enthusiatic- must have shown through!
Reply 4179
Thank you for all the info guys, I appreciate it! How were your respective gap years? Did you enjoy it? What did you do? (I'm assuming you all received offers this time right?)

No worries :smile: gap year had it's ups and downs I'll be completely honest and I wanted to leave nothing to chance so worked as a HCA ~48 hours a week days and nights which at this point is getting difficult to keep up 6 months on. It's nice to have a break from studying all the time though and also visit different friends at uni whilst saving up too. I'm not travelling for personal reasons but a lot of people do and it sounds fantastic. Yeah I got 3 unconditional offers at Sheff, Newcastle and St Andrews and then still waiting to hear back from Southampton post interview so definitely millions better than last year! I would most definitely say if you get the grades and it's med you want to do, definitely take a gap year. Very much worth it, character building too :smile: I feel millions more prepared to go to uni to study medicine, and appreciate it a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending